Billy Eichner blames homophobia for BROS poor numbers

Dojo

Featured Posts

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
secfelix
1 hour ago, Not The Real Gaga said:

But are you talking about movies and series, or real life?

To be fair, a little of both.

Studies show that black and brown gay men face more rejection with dating. It's why their depression rates are higher than their white counterparts in this area.

monstertoronto
3 hours ago, Not The Real Gaga said:

But are you talking about movies and series, or real life?

since he said “stories” about white gays falling in love, pretty sure the context was movies, not real life.  Speaking as a POC, I understand what he’s saying, there’s almost zero respresentation of ethnic gays in gay media because the culture is so lazer-focused on white muscular men as the only beauty standard. Almost every gay movie and series that has garnered any attention has been two white gays falling in love  (brokeback, in gods country, etc)  so i understand the fatigue of never or rarely seeing ourselves onscreen.  But things are changing slowly. We also had Fire Island which focused on Asians! 
but regardless of it being white gays again, I Loved this movie. Loved Bros  

GoldenPonyboy

I am sitting in the theater right now. Its about to start. After seeing the trailer i was not interested at all. But the glowing reviews made me want to give it a try. We shall see. 

HorusRa2

The biggest problem the movie faces is that the lead is not likable (Billy). And while the satire has a point, the several monologues that Billy makes comes off as very preachy and its like there are the monologues which is the point with some humor and white hunks sprinkled in between. In other words, some of the points the film is trying to make would benefit from being aspected by actual storytelling as opposed to 3 minute fast talking rants by the lead. 

hieronymus
14 hours ago, GoldenPonyboy said:

I am sitting in the theater right now. Its about to start. After seeing the trailer i was not interested at all. But the glowing reviews made me want to give it a try. We shall see. 

What did you think?

GoldenPonyboy
45 minutes ago, Hold My Ham said:

What did you think?

It was really funny. Billy was very much playing a light version of himself. So if you like his style you should enjoy it. Otherwise there was a few laugh out loud moments that make it worth it. And it has a lot of style. 

JesseBabe

While I think homophobia played a small factor in this not doing well, I don't think this was the sole reason. Billy isn't likable, there's no big names in the cast, it was a theater release rather than streaming, and it's a romcom in the middle of horror movie season.

Also a romcom about two cis white straight passing gays isn't this revolutionary take Billy thinks it is either. 

dutchyguy
On 10/4/2022 at 8:36 PM, JesseBabe said:

Also a romcom about two cis white straight passing gays isn't this revolutionary take Billy thinks it is either. 

Except for, it was revolutionary in other ways.

Finally a gay movie that is not made for straight people, or that is themed surrounding a coming out or a tragedy. I watched the movie tonight and its really good! Its recognisable without being stereotypical. Also, deeper than one might expect.

Billy isn’t likable, I agree, but he did make some valid points. Also on the comments on quality lgtbq content (the single all the way movie?)

Also, diversity and representation comes in so many more different ways than just skin tone or cis-passing. Why cant we, as a community, celebrate this small win while recognising there is still lots of progress to be made.

Is this the guy who is always yelling at people with a microphone on the street cause that alone makes me not want to watch it. I don’t think he’s funny at all. Just annoying. 

Monstermilo

the world is still very homophobic, the str8s will watch drag race and say a few catchphrases but they dont really care about lgbt representation at the end of the day

Archived