đź’™ HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT đź’š

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
celeb

Billy Eichner blames homophobia for BROS poor numbers

Dojo

Featured Posts

berlinforme

Imo the movie suffers bigly from Billy Eichner having a super unlikable image. Being a sassy street reporter? A guest judge at Rupaul's? Sure. Sitting through a whole movie with him being the main character? Nah. 

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Tinnitus15 said:

She got his ass finally

wait, so it's banking 10m? that doesn't sound bad at all

how much was the budget?

NATAH
17 minutes ago, Dojo said:

how much was the budget?

22m :bear:

mother, what must i do?

3 minutes ago, Whigney Houstan said:

Why is it that whenever I see this mans name he's always whining about something?

but if it's banking 10 m in it's first weekend, things are looking good then, i'm confused 

SevenWonder

I LOVE romcoms. So this is my take:

1. He should NOT have cast himself as the lead. That's just hubris and by far the biggest mistake the movie made. The leads are everything in a romcom. For a romcom to usually work? The lead character Billy plays needs to represent something that is as universally relatable as possible. A (reasonably handsome) sort of Every Man. A conduit for us watching in the audience. Think Tom Hanks during his heyday. Billy is loud, abrasive, whiny (see his texts as evidence). It's just not romcom leading man material. It's great for his Billy on the Street show, however!

2. I also think many people - straight and otherwise - felt this movie was more a Message and/or Agenda Driven Film (or "see this because it's historic" or because it's the "first gay romcom", etc) instead of a fun, two hour escape from reality a romcom is supposed to be. This is where Billy might have a point. Though, I do get how the movie was marketed might have scared away certain folks. Even some who might have watched it otherwise. Many watch documentaries and listen to podcasts to learn. And watch romcoms to not think about real life. The thing is? The movie IS really funny. They didn't need to make it political at all. 

3. Finally, the title is horrible. The movie is not a sendoff of straight "bro" culture at all. In any way. It's not about two Bro dudes who fall in love (which might have been really, really funny btw). That's a small note, but it's frustrating to me!

djBuffoon

Billy strikes me as annoying and bitter on social media, so I have no interest in watching him try to act.

Galagala

From the press tour prior to the film release to these recent comments, I would say Billy Eichner has turned me from a fan into a hater. His attitude can be intentional, but all these news around this film has been very annoying. I smell arrogance and condescension.

FrankMonster

He is damn right, the movie didn't even make it to any screen in my homophobic country. 

Galagala
15 hours ago, androiduser said:

I think that he is the biggest problem of the entire promo campaign....

He's been so annoying and arrogant lately.

hieronymus
1 hour ago, Dojo said:

how much was the budget?

It's not though. That tweet said it's opening to half the projected 8 to 10 mil this weekend, so 4 to 5. Ironically it's already the domestic second highest earning romcom this year after Marry Me. lol

Stephen

I haven't seen the movie (maybe I will when it hits streaming) but yea it feels like a big mistake for Billy to play the lead character. It could have been so much more appealing with a more famous, more likable and beloved actor. These kinds of movies are all about the cast.

Controversiaga

Most straight ppl will not willingly see this movie.  They will see movies that have gay characters in them, as long as the movie is not about being gay.  They just have no interest or desire to pay and sit through that .  They don’t see it at a romcom, like 50 first dates, or those type of Hetero movies, they see it as a gay movie for gay ppl. 
:/

Pronounced like “Balenciaga” . Emphasis on the “Ga”

1 hour ago, SevenWonder said:

I LOVE romcoms. So this is my take:

1. He should NOT have cast himself as the lead. That's just hubris and by far the biggest mistake the movie made. The leads are everything in a romcom. For a romcom to usually work? The lead character Billy plays needs to represent something that is as universally relatable as possible. A (reasonably handsome) sort of Every Man. A conduit for us watching in the audience. Think Tom Hanks during his heyday. Billy is loud, abrasive, whiny (see his texts as evidence). It's just not romcom leading man material. It's great for his Billy on the Street show, however!

2. I also think many people - straight and otherwise - felt this movie was more a Message and/or Agenda Driven Film (or "see this because it's historic" or because it's the "first gay romcom", etc) instead of a fun, two hour escape from reality a romcom is supposed to be. This is where Billy might have a point. Though, I do get how the movie was marketed might have scared away certain folks. Even some who might have watched it otherwise. Many watch documentaries and listen to podcasts to learn. And watch romcoms to not think about real life. The thing is? The movie IS really funny. They didn't need to make it political at all. 

3. Finally, the title is horrible. The movie is not a sendoff of straight "bro" culture at all. In any way. It's not about two Bro dudes who fall in love (which might have been really, really funny btw). That's a small note, but it's frustrating to me!

Preach to all of this. Why would he make himself the main character? It just seems like he wanted to live his own fantasy and made the entire thing as a self serving vanity project.

SevenWonder
5 minutes ago, Rebel said:

Preach to all of this. Why would he make himself the main character? It just seems like he wanted to live his own fantasy and made the entire thing as a self serving vanity project.

Agreed. 

Archived