💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
celeb

Sam Smith about people messing up their pronouns

Teletubby

Featured Posts

Meruk Holland
4 hours ago, AnnaNicoleSmith said:

I will use they when it's detailed in for example IG page. Otherwise in real life never used and in latin languages it doesn't really exist, or it sounds really awkward. I've never understood or grasped the idea of non-binary but i will still respect your They pronoun but imma be honest if i talk about someone and they r male or female to someone else ill use what im comfortable with which is he/she because I don't understand the concept of not feeling man or woman since i dont think anyone feels man or woman in a stereotypical gender conforming way. Of course if I love Football, Tupac, and Tony Montana doesn't mean i'm not woman enough, so therefore i have to be "nonbinary". Nah Im just a female who likes something, and things, colors, hobbies, clothes don't have gender. That's my view on it. And I actually think that we can all have our own views and perspective on gender and this is mine, but I bet i'll be insulted for having this opinion or told im a bigot but so be it, i'm ready for the replies and warning tbh

So I think the dissonance here is that, in a vacuum, everyone's gender identity would be unique because hobbies, interests, and etc. have no gender attached, so therefore there would be no binary.

Our frame of reference is "this interest is typical amongst people who identify as men, so it must be a masculine interest" and "this person identifies as a man because their interests align most accurately with those of others that identify as men."

There is added complexity when you account for biological sex, since its a quality that overwhelmingly, but not entirely, aligns with gender identity. Which is valid, some people take great pride in their body and the fact it harmonizes with their gender identity; as an example, my grandmother was adamant that she have breast reconstruction after her mastectomy because she felt her womanhood wouldn't be complete without them. 

We don't live in a vacuum, we live in a society. And societies have constructs like gender. For most people, these constructs are suitable because they align for them just fine. Most assigned-female-at-birth people feel comfortable with identifying as women, and same with most AMAB people identifying as men. Nonbinary people don't for any number of reasons, including but not limited to feeling dissociated from or a lack of alignment to either binary gender, traumatic association to either or both, or feeling association or euphoria to a nonbinary status. 

Then of course there's gender ambivalence, but that's a whole thing, one I'm not as well versed on. 

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Monstermilo

i dont get the whole pronouns things tbh 

but its all a social construct so out of respect i will call a person by their preferred pronouns

we all just gotta respect each other and let ppl live even if we dont fully understand things 

4 hours ago, Debithius said:

Uhm....y'all are really coming for Sam Smith when he said something sensible? It's like a lot of people here take what he says out of context on purpose.

chile... he? :partysick:

mother, what must i do?

Battle 4 Ur Life

I have no problem calling them they.

but the least they can do is be understanding and don’t discriminate people for getting them wrong a few times because it’s something you have to work on and around to fulfill their wish. almost sort of like a favor. I’m sorry if it sounds rude but it is a demand not everyone has the patience or the mindset to meet.

"We own the Downtown, hear our sound."

Gonna be honest, the more I try to learn about non-binary the less I understand. 

Any talk about masculine/feminine interests or feelings completely loses me because my personal interests have zero bearing on me identifying as a woman. I identify as a woman because I have a female body and have zero interest in having a male body or being called a man (as much as male bodies are easier to deal with :sweat:). I don't 'feel' like a woman either, I just am. I've gotta wonder how many people identify as non-binary because they think they're supposed to have this innate feeling of gender. 

Future Lovers
2 hours ago, sarahb said:

Gonna be honest, the more I try to learn about non-binary the less I understand. 

Any talk about masculine/feminine interests or feelings completely loses me because my personal interests have zero bearing on me identifying as a woman. I identify as a woman because I have a female body and have zero interest in having a male body or being called a man (as much as male bodies are easier to deal with :sweat:). I don't 'feel' like a woman either, I just am. I've gotta wonder how many people identify as non-binary because they think they're supposed to have this innate feeling of gender. 

What I would say then is simply respect someone's pronouns, even if it isn't something you understand. I don't know that most non-binary people are asking everyone to learn and understand the complexities of gender binaries or the absence of them, they just wish to be referred to by the pronouns they're most comfortable with. If you do that, then that's fulfilling the only request that they are making. 

Sepsami
20 hours ago, SamanthaC said:

Just a reminder that not using someone’s preferred pronouns when clearly stated (especially on purpose) will result in a warning. 

An ally indeed :vegas:

The Child
20 hours ago, SamanthaC said:

Just a reminder that not using someone’s preferred pronouns when clearly stated (especially on purpose) will result in a warning. 

Lmao are we in USSR?

‘If religion be the cause of disunity, then irreligion is surely to be preferred.’ ‘Abdu’l-Bahá

Moonlight on Water
1 hour ago, The Child said:

Lmao are we in USSR?

2 minutes ago, The Child said:

I got 2 WPs for a harmless comment, if I use the wrong pronouns for someone by mistake I shouldn’t have a warning but anyways.

boy you better hope that the stupidest person on earth doesn't die. :bear:

she/her

5 minutes ago, The Child said:

and you're about to get more public discussion of moderation :billie:

mother, what must i do?

The Child
9 minutes ago, Lady JarJar said:

boy you better hope that the stupidest person on earth doesn't die. :bear:

:)

‘If religion be the cause of disunity, then irreligion is surely to be preferred.’ ‘Abdu’l-Bahá

The Child
8 minutes ago, NATAH said:

and you're about to get more public discussion of moderation :billie:

I don’t even care tbh

Archived