Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
movie

Tomorrow the movie ”Blonde” will be out

Blackout19

Featured Posts

ryanxjensen

Pure exploitation of the dead.

****SPOILERS****

The scene with the studio office r*pe, the movie theatre 3-some & the physical violence make it feel like some pervs fan fiction.. 

The costumes were good though, I guess :coffee:

That being said, Let her memory rest 

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Blackout19
On 9/27/2022 at 5:40 PM, Puddin said:

I am excited for the cinematography and Ana de Armas’ performance. However, being a huge Marilyn fan, the moment I was aware this movie was going to be made, I was disappointed-Blonde is nothing but fan fiction.

Sure there’s nothing wrong with people wanting to create a story with the worlds most famous woman but there is just so many misconceptions about Marilyn that this just seems unnecessary. Not to mention the r*pe and every other-apparently VERY graphic-sex scenes. 
I love Marilyn so much, I want to see her smiling, happy, enjoying her life. Not this hyper sexualized, depressed, tragic figure. She is so much more than the breathy voice and white dress. She was human she was real and it’s about time we pay her justice.

I watched yesterday, and to be honest I will give the movie a 7/10.

I expected something else, I feel like they miss a lot moments from her life, and the movie was more about her relationship with her father, even if she never spoke to much about him. 

I still think that The Secret Life Of Marilyn Monroe is the best movie about her life. 

Marilyn Monroe is my best friend.

Blackout19
3 hours ago, ryanxjensen said:

Pure exploitation of the dead.

****SPOILERS****

The scene with the studio office r*pe, the movie theatre 3-some & the physical violence make it feel like some pervs fan fiction.. 

The costumes were good though, I guess :coffee:

That being said, Let her memory rest 

The scene with Mr. President with was too much, for me 

Marilyn Monroe is my best friend.

3 minutes ago, weed said:

I think I'll watch it, haven't seen many movies recently

Before you watch it, remember that the director made this movie purely to exploit Marilyn Monroe’s legacy and get some quick cash out of it. It’s not even close to being the real story. Not to mention, he’s a misogynistic POS.

12 minutes ago, Meat said:

Before you watch it, remember that the director made this movie purely to exploit Marilyn Monroe’s legacy and get some quick cash out of it. It’s not even close to being the real story. Not to mention, he’s a misogynistic POS.

Ya the director seems like a bad person I just love Ana :messga:

elijahfan

As a big Marilyn Monroe fan myself, I absolutely loved the film, tho it does focus intentionally on the darker moments of her life and I understand how this can alienate the audience. This story goes beyond the story of Marilyn: it’s about how Hollywood and society treat women, it’s about how trauma can affect you for life and how you can both be the most desired woman in the world and still feel isolated. Of all people, I’d have thought Lady Gaga fans would be particularly receptive towards those themes instead of blindly joining the internet hate train.

I personally don’t get the accusations of exploitation: her life story was dark, so the film simply reflects that. Part of it might be fictionalized, but I do believe fiction can sometimes better reflect to an audience the reality of someone’s state of mind than reality itself. And as I mentioned, it goes beyond her own story, it’s also about all the other souls the Hollywood machine has destroyed.

I don’t know that much about this director, but he’s been developing this project for 12 years, I doubt he’d waste this kind of energy and time to do a film about a subject he despises. Just sayin.

Also, Ana de Armas is mind-blowing, this is the most extraordinary performance I’ve seen in years. It’s even eerie at times how she disappears behind the character, to the point you can’t even grasp where she ends and Monroe begins.

CautiousLurker

Yeah I saw the Andrew Dominic interview outtake (this one):
FdrDYmSWYAE3epn?format=png&name=900x900

and I was like 'oh' :cyanlights:

I think I'll just check out clips of this on youtube later, just to see how well they've recreated scenes from movies :cyanlights:

25 minutes ago, elijahfan said:

As a big Marilyn Monroe fan myself, I absolutely loved the film, tho it does focus intentionally on the darker moments of her life and I understand how this can alienate the audience. This story goes beyond the story of Marilyn: it’s about how Hollywood and society treat women, it’s about how trauma can affect you for life and how you can both be the most desired woman in the world and still feel isolated. Of all people, I’d have thought Lady Gaga fans would be particularly receptive towards those themes instead of blindly joining the internet hate train.

I personally don’t get the accusations of exploitation: her life story was dark, so the film simply reflects that. Part of it might be fictionalized, but I do believe fiction can sometimes better reflect to an audience the reality of someone’s state of mind than reality itself. And as I mentioned, it goes beyond her own story, it’s also about all the other souls the Hollywood machine has destroyed.

The criticism isn't going against the themes. It's going against the fact that this is based on literal fanfiction, classified everywhere as purely a work of fiction, that fetishized Marilyn rather than treating her like a human being. And they chose that, of all possible Marilyn-related books, to adapt into film. Apparently they even shot her dramaticized death in the same location that Marilyn actually died, too.

Obviously any biopic is gonna have some fictionalized elements for the sake of entertainment, but this isn't one of those cases and it can't even be called a biopic. It's like if the After movies, based on fanfiction which portrayed Harry Styles as an abusive lover to the self-insert protagonist, kept his + other 1D members' names, casted actors in their likenesses, and tried to sell it in a way that it could be passed off as real events. But this is worse, considering the gratuitous sexual violence and how Marilyn isn't here to defend herself from such a portrayal. It is exploitation.

elijahfan
7 minutes ago, Railing said:

The criticism isn't going against the themes. It's going against the fact that this is based on literal fanfiction, classified everywhere as purely a work of fiction, that fetishized Marilyn rather than treating her like a human being. And they chose that, of all possible Marilyn-related books, to adapt into film. Apparently they even shot her dramaticized death in the same location that Marilyn actually died, too.

Obviously any biopic is gonna have some fictionalized elements for the sake of entertainment, but this isn't one of those cases and it can't even be called a biopic. It's like if the After movies, based on fanfiction which portrayed Harry Styles as an abusive lover to the self-insert protagonist, kept his + other 1D members' names, casted actors in their likenesses, and tried to sell it in a way that it could be passed off as real events. But this is worse, considering the gratuitous sexual violence and how Marilyn isn't here to defend herself from such a portrayal. It is exploitation.

Every biopic is fictional to some degree, at least this one is upfront about it.

Once again, I believe this goes beyond Marilyn's specific life story: the violence that's portrayed in the film was very real towards women in Hollywood, and if the Weinstein scandal taught us anything, it's that those themes might very much be still relevant today.

I low-key feel like people have a problem with this film because this isn't the story they expected. But as a fan of Monroe myself and as someone's who's familiar with her life story, I do believe they did a good job at portraying what her emotional experience probably was at that time. I've struggled with my mental health in the past, and even though this isn't my life story in any way or form, I did feel a deep proximity to the character the same way I've always felt a proximity with the real Monroe.

But yeah, to each their own, and if some audience members aren't enjoying this, it's their right entirely.

On 9/27/2022 at 5:10 AM, Helxig said:

It sounds really negative but I just think it will give people the totally wrong impression :(  apparently the film heavily and gratuitously focusses on her sexual abuse and turns her into an ultra-sexual sexy woman, which is not at ALL what she was like. There was so much more to her. She was so talented and intelligent and everything that she actually was is lost

It just sounds like the male gaze and shock value at action to garner views. I really hope this movie doesn't ruin her image because I know a lot of people are going to watch it and start claiming it as fact

Marilyn….was a victim to the male gaze. Marilyn was abused sexually and exploited for her looks. Her talent and intelligence were pushed to the side. This is the true story. 

People upset are genuinely ignorant about the trauma people go through. Why should there be revisionist storytelling just to make people feel good? The truth of pain is hard to face but it’s not wrong.

SharGaga

Such a beautiful and haunting film. A lot of the the themes about trauma, isolation and substance abuse struck with me. It wasn't what I expected but I'm truly moved with Ana's performance. She captured her essence and fall from grace really well.

Future Lovers
16 hours ago, elijahfan said:

Every biopic is fictional to some degree, at least this one is upfront about it.

Once again, I believe this goes beyond Marilyn's specific life story: the violence that's portrayed in the film was very real towards women in Hollywood, and if the Weinstein scandal taught us anything, it's that those themes might very much be still relevant today.

I low-key feel like people have a problem with this film because this isn't the story they expected. But as a fan of Monroe myself and as someone's who's familiar with her life story, I do believe they did a good job at portraying what her emotional experience probably was at that time. I've struggled with my mental health in the past, and even though this isn't my life story in any way or form, I did feel a deep proximity to the character the same way I've always felt a proximity with the real Monroe.

But yeah, to each their own, and if some audience members aren't enjoying this, it's their right entirely.

My problem is not that it wasn't what I expected. 

My problem is that the director is out here calling Marilyn a talentless, unintelligent ***** who nobody cares about as artist while making a fictional film focused on traumatic events in her life that we don't even know for sure actually happened. Very little in this film is actually biographical. Most of it based on nothing but rumor. 

Yes, every biopic has some fiction. But this isn't a biopic. Andrew Dominick has been very clear that this film is not supposed to be a biopic. Whatever the message of the film about the Hollywood institution is, it takes a backseat to fetishizing and lingering on the horrible, horrible trauma a woman faced. A woman he does not respect at that. 

It'd be one thing if he respected her, but he doesn't. His interviews show he sees her as nothing more than a vessel to tell a pretentious, shallow, surface level story about exploitation, all while exploiting that central vessel he chose to do it with. 

elijahfan
7 hours ago, Mr Mendes said:

My problem is not that it wasn't what I expected. 

My problem is that the director is out here calling Marilyn a talentless, unintelligent ***** who nobody cares about as artist while making a fictional film focused on traumatic events in her life that we don't even know for sure actually happened.

I feel like we haven't seen the same film. If there's something the film shows very well imo, it's that Marilyn was way more intelligent and invested in her craft than what people might think.

Honestly I'm trying very hard to understand where all the criticism is coming from. I might watch it again to really settle my opinion, and I do agree on the fact this is an extremely nihilistic film that could have done with a bit more light, but it's not the story they wanted to tell and I respect this artistic decision.

Archived