Breaking: Funny Girl role was offered to Gaga

Meat

Featured Posts

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
LilyLark
1 hour ago, Night Vision said:

True, but ASIB was a completely different story just loosely based on the concept of the original film. She wasn't playing the same character as either Barbra or Judy, and on Broadway that would be the case.

I'm not opposed to the idea of her taking on roles that have been done before, but I would personally prefer her to come to Broadway in a brand new role that she could make iconically hers, like Barbra did with Funny Girl.

Same, though I do think she would kill Gypsy Rose...and it's not so strongly associated with an actress, as in Funny Girl, despite Patti LuPone playing Mama Rose at one point.

It is kind of funny though...people really want her to do Broadway but Sondheim (who was a legend, tbf) was so snobby about pop stars lol but liked Beanie Fieldstein, Meryl, etc....women who couldn't hold a candle to Gaga, Ariana, Beyonce, Kelly Clarkson, etc. in terms of vocals.

LilyLark

@Schwerk

I know there's only a 10-12 year age difference, but Gypsy Rose with Gags and Rachel Zegler would be iconic imo. I know some find Rachel annoying, but girl can sing. One of these days Barbra better get around to making the film as she's the one who has the rights! Even if it isn't Gaga, I want to see Barbra's take....

I can’t see Gaga doing the starring role tbh. It’s VERY demanding on the body to do 8 shows a week of hard vocals. I could see her doing a supportive role with a killer number in the next few years, but a starring gig? Mmm idk

IWantYourLove

Honestly I’m glad it didn’t happen. I’m definitely in the minority that doesn’t want gaga to do broadway. She will inevitably do it, but I really don’t want it to be yet lol.

45 minutes ago, HIM820 said:

Where is the source… why the hell id rolling stone taking his word for it…

Because he’s a legit insider? Dare I say the biggest one?

chromaticainmyhead

If she does a Broadway role they better not take the next best even if it's a main role wher they solely wanted her to star in. She could nail any role because she puts all the effort it takes to make it Tony worthy. I feel like a one woman show would be the best choice for her

fan-tas-tique, chic, freak, slaaaay

3 hours ago, Meat said:

they reached out to Gaga and they were never gonna give her enough money to star in this production. Look at what the set looks like. They don’t have anything close to Gaga money.

why are they saying this when our Queen is not pursuing money when she does passion projects (especially acting). I feel like she would be fine with like a 3 million $ contract to do a short broadway run. :'( But like you said, she was touring so she could not do it. Ugh it would have been so iconic. Funny Girl is such a good broadway show....I worry she will pick a bad broadway role whenever she chooses to go that route :cryga:

misham0nster
4 hours ago, LaLa said:

You do 8 shows a week on Broadway, right? And it's not a small role. I don't know if she feels (or felt at the time) physically up to that.

7 or 8 I think, I believe there is usually a day off. Also you have understudies who rotate in regularly, and it doesn't require travel like a tour does. It's time consuming, but she probably could've done it for at least a limited time. Not saying you're wrong though; it's just far less strenuous than a stadium tour.

I'd loooove to see her in theater though. Give my gay ass another reason to buy more Broadway tickets

Would you love me if I ruled the world?

2 hours ago, Meat said:

Because he’s a legit insider? Dare I say the biggest one?

I messaged my friend who works in the Shubert Organization and he said that he’s a popular topic but that his content is 50/50. He also said that there isn’t a possible way he’s getting his info directly from the production sources or there would be serious legal ramifications and job losses. They would never want cast leaks before announcements because contracts and negotiations could/would fall through. 

I asked about the Gaga stuff and he said that he obviously had nothing to do with it but had heard a rumor she was among several names the show was looking at but he highly doubts an offer was ever made or if they ever were in contact with her team. The venue and production value of the show would never meet the requirements of a pop star vehicle let alone Gaga’s first Broadway show. I think he was really stretching the rumor for a rolling stone headline. 

Archived