💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
news

Breaking: Funny Girl role was offered to Gaga

Meat

Featured Posts

26 minutes ago, River said:

lol sure Lewis:laughga:

Girl? Lewis is a legend in the theatre circles. Do you even know how hard it is to get an interview with someone like that :laughga:

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
elijahfan
17 minutes ago, SevenWonder said:

Gaga was born for the stage. It's inevitable she lands there.

Frankly, I'm glad she passed on Funny Girl (whatever the actual reason). It's too storied and the pressure to outdo Barbra would have been too great. Gaga haters will find any reason to pick her apart in a way they won't do for others. 

I want a musical she writes or is written for her.

ASIB put her in the footsteps of both Barbra and Judy Garland and she still managed to shine, so I'm not sure this is a valid reason to shy away from a project.

Night Vision

It's probably for the best that she turned it down, it's been a pretty cursed revival from the start. Hopefully one day if Gaga does Broadway, it will be a new original role (or a revival of Next to Normal).

moonsago

I am not surprised and I am sure she will do it but I believe she still wants to establish herself as a movie actress before going to Broadway. Maybe after her Oscar win she will do it.

Night Vision
1 minute ago, elijahfan said:

ASIB put her in the footsteps of both Barbra and Judy Garland and she still managed to shine, so I'm not sure this is a valid reason to shy away from a project.

True, but ASIB was a completely different story just loosely based on the concept of the original film. She wasn't playing the same character as either Barbra or Judy, and on Broadway that would be the case.

I'm not opposed to the idea of her taking on roles that have been done before, but I would personally prefer her to come to Broadway in a brand new role that she could make iconically hers, like Barbra did with Funny Girl.

No surprise that they would have wanted her, but if she hadn't got the time then she hadn't got the time ..... and she hadn't.

elijahfan
11 minutes ago, Night Vision said:

True, but ASIB was a completely different story just loosely based on the concept of the original film. She wasn't playing the same character as either Barbra or Judy, and on Broadway that would be the case.

I'm not opposed to the idea of her taking on roles that have been done before, but I would personally prefer her to come to Broadway in a brand new role that she could make iconically hers, like Barbra did with Funny Girl.

True, but it didn't stop some people from comparing performances back in 2018. I personally would love to see her tackle an iconic Broadway role.

But I don't necessarily regret her skipping Funny Girl either, since it's very reminiscent of ASIB from what I remember.

I feel like she's definitely gonna be doing theater eventually!

I agree with others, I think she would do this for the experience not the money. Isn't that what happened w ASIB? I don't think Bradley had that much money to offer her compared with what she is used to making. Anyways she can always do rich people's weddings and stuff to make extra money :vegas:

SpadesToStart

I don’t know if starring on Broadway is in the cards for Gaga mainly because I’m worried her body couldn’t handle 8 shows a week. She has to do so much recovery work just to do three days in a row for a Vegas weekend.

Didn't we already know this? In 2018 Rosie O'Donnell confirmed on stage that she was playing the role of Mrs. Brice, while Gaga would play Fanny Brice, in the revival of Funny Girl. Rosie continued talking about it until the pandemic, when plans shifted. 

5 minutes ago, SpadesToStart said:

I don’t know if starring on Broadway is in the cards for Gaga mainly because I’m worried her body couldn’t handle 8 shows a week. She has to do so much recovery work just to do three days in a row for a Vegas weekend.

Not every part involves a lot of dancing. And as it is her childhood dream I'm sure she'll one day realize it. Could also be later in life. Would love to see her play Mama Rose in Gypsy:

According to Gaga I'm a ****ing rad bitch

LilyLark
8 minutes ago, fishinmyhair said:

I absolutely love the idea but do you think she would take another role after Barbra?

This. I don't think she would take another role that Barbra did, and it's also an iconic Jewish role...I don't buy it was her touring schedule and/or money, but the above reasons. I'm not sure any critic, tbh, would give anyone a fair shake (even a beloved Broadway star) for playing Funny Girl, too, as the role is so strongly associated with Barbra.

Funny Girl kind of stands alone in that way (as so strongly associated with a certain actress). Even Cabaret, which everyone connects to Liza for obvs. reasons, has had multiple actresses and no one blinks an eye. But when the news first came out people were remaking Funny Girl, people were angry and kept saying 'that's Barbra's role'.

Also, didn't she do ASIB & Gucci for a relatively low paycheck to help keep the budget down? She took WB to the cleaners for Joker, lol, but she's clearly willing to do projects even if she doesn't get paid much.

LilyLark
42 minutes ago, Schwerk said:

Not every part involves a lot of dancing. And as it is her childhood dream I'm sure she'll one day realize it. Could also be later in life. Would love to see her play Mama Rose in Gypsy:

Barbra has been talking about directing a film version forever, and recently one of the theater gays wrote a jokey, viral tweet on twitter that referenced it...and namechecked Gaga (I think the line was Barbra was going to cast Gaga but then was upset they remade ASIB, a perfect film...the joke being that Barbra's version of ASIB is the weakest by far). 

I could see her doing Broadway, but I doubt it would be Cabaret, Music Man, or Funny Girl due to the dancing.

Archived