Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
movie

The Little Mermaid is coming to theaters May 26, 2023

Teletubby

Featured Posts

I’m excited but before anyone makes it a race thing, the hair could have easily been a more vivid red. Look at Rihanna during the LOUD era for example, it looked gorgeous on her (be it wig, dye or extensions). 

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Galvon said:

I think you make a mountain out of a molehill. Just because Hans Christian Anderson was Danish, doesn't mean all his stories have to take place in Denmark. He also wrote a story named The Nightingale, which takes place in China. And I'm not saying the little mermaid doesn't take place in Denmark, it could be, but I don't think he ever confirmed it.

But the fact is her race is defined in Little Mermaid by descriptions and this change was not needed.

I think She looks fine in the trailer and I do not have a problem with it , but this Type of changes just to appeal to someone Are stupid to me , to be honest.

2 hours ago, PartySick said:

She's literally a half fish woman from a make believe underwater city. Just say the real reason you don't like it tbh

Not everyone who speak against someting is racist . People are allowed to have an opinion. Fact is that this is an Old danish story. Fact is that Disney changed the race of main character. 
 Fact is that they do it to Appeal to certain groups. 
you not knowing the original story or never reading it your problem. Let us call that what it is.

16 hours ago, Monstermilo said:

shes perfect for the role 

racists can stay mad lmao 

this is a fictional character, not a historical one so stay presssed 

also white ppl acting like they dont have every advantage and act like any deviation from the unlimited representation they get in the media is hilarious

Yeah especially a character like little mermaid Lmao like Snow White fine you’d have to omit the line about her skin being white as snow which kinda negates the name but Ariel? Skin color is utterly irrelevant and Halle really is eating this

10 minutes ago, Ivannn said:

Not everyone who speak against someting is racist . People are allowed to have an opinion. Fact is that this is an Old danish story. Fact is that Disney changed the race of main character. 
you not knowing the original story or never reading it your problem. Let us call that what it is.

But it doesn’t matter that it’s danish…the Disney version doesn’t even have it mattering…even if they’re doing it to appeal to a group or optics which is pretty rude to say, it doesn’t negate the fact that Ariel’s skin color is wholly irrelevant to the story

51 minutes ago, Versace said:

I’m excited but before anyone makes it a race thing, the hair could have easily been a more vivid red. Look at Rihanna during the LOUD era for example, it looked gorgeous on her (be it wig, dye or extensions). 

…that red hair on Rihanna was giving banjee though and that’s not the vibe of the movie lmao 

32 minutes ago, Ziggy said:

But it doesn’t matter that it’s danish…the Disney version doesn’t even have it mattering…even if they’re doing it to appeal to a group or optics which is pretty rude to say, it doesn’t negate the fact that Ariel’s skin color is wholly irrelevant to the story

If skin color is irrelevant to the story than why we constantly have debates and attaks of certain groups If casting somewhere is not diverse enough?

Remember “ Oscars so white “ from few Years ago? Fact that certain groups would rather have diverse nominees despite of quality of the work in last Year is wrong If you ask me….

I agree it is not relevant but why forcing it everywhere and even there where it makes no sense?

Shipper
11 hours ago, lilboyblue said:

Her hair looks red to me. The color grading hides it a little bit, though.

And four new songs, they said! Wow. This looks major. 

Im hoping her hair becomes redder when she is out of the ocean! 

We need a red haired mermaid that can sing to cleanse us of the one from Aquaman. 

Spoiler

Dont kill me Amber fans. I am rooting for the one that can sing. :ladyhaha:

💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕

Shipper
1 hour ago, Ivannn said:

I get what you mean. I do know the original is Danish and yes, Danish people are white. And yes, Disney did to perhaps to appeal to certain groups. But then so what?

Disney makes different versions of the same fairytale. Disney did a wonderful Live Action Cinderella movie in 1997 with Brandy as Cinderella. Did it ruin the story? No. In fact, they had a very diverse cast with the prince as Asian and gave that Cinderella movie a very different flair. Heck, if they will make a movie 100 times they better change it up a bit and have different versions.

Little Mermaid is not one of those Disney princess movies whose setting or country of origin is relevant to the story like Aladdin or Mulan. Different countries accross the globe have mythologies about mer humans and it is not local to just danish folklore. Basically any country with ports or near the ocean have local folklore about mermaids.

💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕

56 minutes ago, Ivannn said:

If skin color is irrelevant to the story than why we constantly have debates and attaks of certain groups If casting somewhere is not diverse enough?

Remember “ Oscars so white “ from few Years ago? Fact that certain groups would rather have diverse nominees despite of quality of the work in last Year is wrong If you ask me….

I agree it is not relevant but why forcing it everywhere and even there where it makes no sense?

it's not relevant *narratively, but socially knowing that hollywood actively keeps certain racial groups out of opportunities for their race means that there is an importance to racial diversity insofar as writing that wrong. Why are you assuming that actors of color are of lesser quality? That's a weird leap. It's not about lowering quality, it's about opening up access. If anything, what has lowered quality historically has been limiting casting to white people and nepotism babies.

If the race of a character is not narratively relevant, but the conversation around racial equity is *socially relevant then why would you not try to make an active effort to open up the ranks of casting? And look at what an extraordinary vocal talent we got because of that equal to or surpassing Jodi Benson's vocal abilities. Acting, I cant obviously say yet but from what i can currently see, this movie benefited a lot from Halle's voice in it. That's the value of diversity in casting. You can actually cast with a full range of talent in mind.

On the flip side, look at what we got from sticking to "accurate" but mostly arbitrary white and well-known casting in the beauty and the beast remake. The vocals from emma watson were abominable and auto-tuned to **** plus the acting was just fine, and it was distracting all for the sake of her "looking" right.

Thanks to a willingness to push for diversity, we have got a true vocal powerhouse in the title role of this movie who is also absolutely gorgeous and carries the wide-eyed youthfulness that actually *is important to Ariel's character.

JohnnyVersace
2 hours ago, Ivannn said:

Or maybe she's immensely talented, and literally has the voice and facial features of Ariel. Get a life.

1 hour ago, Ziggy said:

it's not relevant *narratively, but socially knowing that hollywood actively keeps certain racial groups out of opportunities for their race means that there is an importance to racial diversity insofar as writing that wrong. Why are you assuming that actors of color are of lesser quality? That's a weird leap. It's not about lowering quality, it's about opening up access. If anything, what has lowered quality historically has been limiting casting to white people and nepotism babies.

If the race of a character is not narratively relevant, but the conversation around racial equity is *socially relevant then why would you not try to make an active effort to open up the ranks of casting? And look at what an extraordinary vocal talent we got because of that equal to or surpassing Jodi Benson's vocal abilities. Acting, I cant obviously say yet but from what i can currently see, this movie benefited a lot from Halle's voice in it. That's the value of diversity in casting. You can actually cast with a full range of talent in mind.

On the flip side, look at what we got from sticking to "accurate" but mostly arbitrary white and well-known casting in the beauty and the beast remake. The vocals from emma watson were abominable and auto-tuned to **** plus the acting was just fine, and it was distracting all for the sake of her "looking" right.

Thanks to a willingness to push for diversity, we have got a true vocal powerhouse in the title role of this movie who is also absolutely gorgeous and carries the wide-eyed youthfulness that actually *is important to Ariel's character.

I know right she is gorgous and i got so angry seeing people on twitter calling her ugly and that her eyes are to far apart comparing to sid from ice and this mermaid creature from harry potter so rude i hope she never sees that 

1 hour ago, Suuus said:

I know right she is gorgous and i got so angry seeing people on twitter calling her ugly and that her eyes are to far apart comparing to sid from ice and this mermaid creature from harry potter so rude i hope she never sees that 

Omg that’s HORRIBLE. People are just awful

En_Sabah_Nur
7 hours ago, Suuus said:

Twitter is TRULY the Pits!  Never go on there sis. :madge: 

Egypt. W

Archived