Joanne is Gaga’s best album.. ?!

Blackout19

Featured Posts

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
AnglerfishbraBENUS
33 minutes ago, Suspiria said:

I mean it was by far her biggest flop despite having so much promotion. I don't think they do

non little monsters and straights can still love it even though it ‘had so much promotion’ which it really didn’t and Gaga would even attest to that. sure million reasons was played a million times including at the superbowl but it’s not like they thought to create the most amazing music videos or choose the best singles etc. i see Joanne as sort of a grass roots movement to redefine Gaga and i think interscope intentionally promoted it as an indie record. 

anyways that’s the hill i’m dying on LOL personally it’s not my fave

Fresco

Oh gosh, probably not, because there are some things that I wish were different about it. I actually like the country style, it's very ear friendly to me, and her vocals were very good. I just wished the lyrics were different in some of them. Like a-yo mirror on the ceiling, I really loved this energy, but I don't smoke and can't truly like the song with all the smoking blow it in your face references. So it's perhaps the most frustrating song on the album for me.  Just another day needed a different instrumental, but I appreciate the just a normal day hanging out kinda vibe. Hey girl, disappointing. 

The pink hat, truly iconic, defined an era, love it! Paws up to a pink hat, black leather jacket and denim short shorts.

Blackout19
7 minutes ago, Fresco said:

Hey girl, disappointing. 

The most underrated song. After this years, I am sad to see that a lot of people didn't like the song.. 

Marilyn Monroe is my best friend.

AlabasterBones

I mean personally idts, but I see wym. For me it’s the least interesting body of work she’s released so far in her discography, like when I rank Gaga albums, Joanne comes last for me, but at the same time I still love it. Like basically all Gaga albums are good to me and Joanne is just the ‘least’ good in my eyes 

i find it the least interesting overall and for me it has the least replay value 

asfittingasmcqueen
55 minutes ago, palma said:

I feel like the vision Mark and Gaga had only finalized with ASIB. Joanne kinda feels like an introduction

I couldn't have said it better. I feel like the only problem Joanne really suffers from is that they didn't go all the way production wise. Songs like A-YO and Sinners Prayer sound heavenly at the Dive Bar shows -just as Perfect Illusion with a live band at the JWT- but lack that "roughness" on their studio versions. 

It's like they tried too much to keep it's pop nature, instead of embracing all of the other genres that influenced the album.

In my opinion, John Wayne and Diamond Heart are the perfect middle point between a new sound and a classic Gaga formula. Just Another Day is a highlight as well, it should've been in the standard tracklist. :enigma:

All of that being said, I love how she tried to challenge herself with this record. It's definitely a standout in her discography

holy scheisse

WHile the highs are high (Joanne, John Wayne, Dancin in Circles, Perfect Illusion, Million Reasons) the lows are very low for me mama

negative perspective in the spoiler:bon:

Spoiler

jarringly unlistenable pre/chorus (diamond heart)
cringey lyrical content & delivery (ayo)
flat out boring (hey girl)
uninspired (come to mama)

i hate the aesthetic for this album and era was like, "authentic" "raw" "real" "honest"
i hate that gaga put out this conservative esque album for her dada at the onset of the trump presidency:noparty: i understand you could say "Come to mama is about getting along!!!" (its about centrism) or "angel down is a political statement about black lives matter!" (you honestly need to have learned that through an interview to know that its about trayvon martin bc its vague and you cant tell) i wanted a powerful gaga album at such dark times and she gave us... this
i hate how her vocals are on this album. they're unpleasant often, there's such minimal harmonizing, they overpower the instrumentals, it's just a mess when i try to listen

Dear Joanne: as lauren conrad once said,

forgive and forget the hills GIF

Maxine Puth

My critiques:

The album is all over the place, it’s hard to listen to John Wayne and Dancin’ in Circles and then go to Hey Girl and Angel Down. Not to mention the genres are all over the place, and it doesn’t work compared to something like ASIB. 

The vocals (she’s obviously putting on a southern twang) are distracting

For an album about being stripped back / giving viewers “the true Gaga” there’s only one song solo written by her… Joanne could’ve been the project where she showed off her solo writing skills because of having “less people” in the room (meanwhile an album like Chromatica is bound to have multiple people contributing). 

Healed My Heart

I love that Gaga has such a broad and beautiful discography so that we can come back to albums at any point and have a totally new perspective on them :heart: I'm glad it's giving you so much comfort right now, 6 years after release!

She/her 💗💜💙

NATAH
1 hour ago, gagaliens said:

I couldn't have said it better. I feel like the only problem Joanne really suffers from is that they didn't go all the way production wise. Songs like A-YO and Sinners Prayer sound heavenly at the Dive Bar shows -just as Perfect Illusion with a live band at the JWT- but lack that "roughness" on their studio versions. 

It's like they tried too much to keep it's pop nature, instead of embracing all of the other genres that influenced the album.

In my opinion, John Wayne and Diamond Heart are the perfect middle point between a new sound and a classic Gaga formula. Just Another Day is a highlight as well, it should've been in the standard tracklist. :enigma:

All of that being said, I love how she tried to challenge herself with this record. It's definitely a standout in her discography

all of this :applause:

mother, what must i do?

huttont

I like the album, especially the first half. To me, the album doesn’t feel cohesive in the sense that it goes from rock to country to pop to soul. I know she wanted a more “live sounding” feel to the album but there could have been more harmonies and vocal layering.

Archived