💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Older females getting #1 singles - next new trend?

StrawberryBlond

Featured Posts

Economy

I think some of it may have to do with the fact that there haven't been as many new super mega stars as in the past wave from 2008 to 2012. A few yes but not as many

That has allowed their names to remain more relevant and less forgotten

But that's just my theory I don't really know why at a later age they can now get hits :shrug:

PartySick
3 hours ago, StrawberryBlond said:

Mariah Carey - All I Want For Christmas Is You (50)

Nicki Minaj - featured verse on Say So (Remix), Trollz (37) + #2 with Do We Have A Problem? in 2021

Beyonce - featured verse on Savage (Remix) (38)

M.I.A. - featured verse on Franchise (45)

I wouldn't count these tbh. Mariah's song is basically a Christmas meme st this point, it's a given and we'll be hearing it again in like a month :giveup:

The others are features. The #1 belongs to the artist that actually owns that song, not the ones that sold a verse to be put on the song.

Rain on Me is a tricky one, only by my own rules :laughga: I'd count it for Gaga since it's her song but I wouldn't count it for Ariana.

🖤

RAMROD

Björk nexttt with Atopos. Yup yup 

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ✧*:・゚ be delulu until it becomes trululu (*´艸`*) ♡♡♡

Demographically the GP is getting older. Older artists can continue appealing to people who are now in their 30s and 40s as Millennials still have cultural pull. 

Just now, Emvee said:

Demographically the GP is getting older. Older artists can continue appealing to people who are now in their 30s and 40s as Millennials still have cultural pull. 

Meh normally the new generation should be getting the number 1s, it's how it's always been

2 minutes ago, AnnaNicoleSmith said:

Meh normally the new generation should be getting the number 1s, it's how it's always been

That’s my point. Usually the next generation is bigger than their predecessors. That’s not the case with Gen Z. Millennials are the larger group and probably the largest generation that will ever exist. 

8 minutes ago, Emvee said:

That’s my point. Usually the next generation is bigger than their predecessors. That’s not the case with Gen Z. Millennials are the larger group and probably the largest generation that will ever exist. 

I think it must be the lack of innovation from gen z artists actually

NATAH
3 hours ago, Dead body said:

I'm sure she will, maybe not soon, but she will

i think she can with the right promotional team, they always seem to be one step behind :messga:

mother, what must i do?

Economy
3 hours ago, Emvee said:

By that logic tho the same should have happened when it was the baby boomers that reached middle age but to my knowledge at least such a phenomenon didn't happen

StrawberryBlond
8 hours ago, Anderson123 said:

Sia was also the first over 40 since Madonna with Music I think, Cheap Thrills in 2016 or 2017. I hope we see more of this.

I know, Pink also got her last #1 at 35 as well, however they were the only older women to get hits in their respective years, it was an unusual thing. I started from 2019 because there were 3 women over 30 who got #1's, which I'd never seen before and its continued ever since, so this is where a trend started to happen.

7 hours ago, Guillaume Hamon said:

Tbh if we talk about fancy charts achievements I would rather have Gaga boosting her record for "the number of 10 millions+ certified singles owned by a female act" by getting her fifth.

#1s depends highly of the competition of the moment. Bad Romance being her biggest single yet peaking a #2 shows that just like MJ's thriller never being first of the BB100 while several more minors songs he released achieved it. Long terme sales actually shows the actual success of the song imo.

Some artists with more #1s songs than Gaga sometimes have way less singles sold overall since they get forgettable chart-toppers while Gaga has more actual real hits.

It's very true. It's all down to luck when it comes to when you release. Songs by big names that would've otherwise gone to #1 miss out all the time because a massively successful one hit wonder came along. I've seen a lot of #1's that really haven't sold that much or even recognisible but I have seen top tens that have sold millions and everyone knows. Also, some artists are very hit and miss. They either go all the way to the top or completely flop. So, yeah. you can have lots of hits but that can mean you can just as many flops. Artists like Rihanna have so many hits that so many people are unaware of how many flops she's had because the hits offset them all.

4 hours ago, Medusa said:

I saw a video on Tiktok discussing how the Kardashians are (for their own benefit but it is a good thing generally) normalising the idea that 40+ is still a good thing, you can still be 'hot', still have fun etc etc, I think maybe that is now trickling its way into the mainstream idea around women and age. For all the faults of that show and family I do think that's kind of promising for future & current women in the business. Young people still think they're cool despite being a lot older than them so it's probably made a female singers age much less of a factor in whether or not they are relatable or relevant.

Ofcourse also making something that is actually a bop helps :ally:

Yeah, they, along with JLo, Beyonce, etc. have totally got the whole "40+ and still got it" thing going on. They're showing it's still possible to be hot, fun and cool at an advanced age and that age isn't really an obstacle to doing what they've always done. Kourtney is in her 40's and a mother of 3 and she and Travis (who's also a parent in his 40's) are carrying on like a pair of teenagers! We're overall looking at age differently. Middle age used to be considered to start at 40. But more and more people are now considering it not to start until 50 considering that we're living longer and are looking and acting younger for longer.

4 hours ago, PartySick said:

I wouldn't count these tbh. Mariah's song is basically a Christmas meme st this point, it's a given and we'll be hearing it again in like a month :giveup:

The others are features. The #1 belongs to the artist that actually owns that song, not the ones that sold a verse to be put on the song.

Rain on Me is a tricky one, only by my own rules :laughga: I'd count it for Gaga since it's her song but I wouldn't count it for Ariana.

But considering that 2019 was when Mariah finally went to #1 with that song after all these years at her age is very significant so the first time it hit the top counts for something. And yeah, in my personal rulebook, I don't count features as "your" #1 either and only the lead artist should count. But like it or not, that's what Billboard does things, so we just have to accept it. And I still think it's meaningful for an older woman to help a song get to the top as you'd think only features from hot young names could do that (I've certainly seen many features that have older artists on them don't do as well as young features). ROM, yeah, I consider it more Gaga's song as it probably was solo before she decided to put Ariana on it and it's not on Ariana's album. But it is Gaga AND Ariana, not Gaga FEAT. Ariana, so that changes everything. Therefore, it's a duet and considering duets should involve each artist giving 50/50, it's their #1 as much as their duet partner's. They both sing equal amounts of the song, so absolutely both can claim it as their #1. I was shook when I just realised that out of Gaga's 5 #1's,  only 2 of them are solo - Pokerface and BTW. For an artist who's never relied on features, it's actually quite shocking to realise that. She needs a big solo hit again so bad.

RichAssPiss

I really think the trends in music will help push Gaga to be really brave on the next record. We're seeing women thrive again and ageism decline just a bit. Something with nerve feels like it could actually hit right now. I feel like she was playing extra safe at the launch of Chromatica. But maybe she won't feel so trapped next time. 

Archived