💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

chromatica ball/chromatica world not cohesive

lolitamuse

Featured Posts

lolitamuse

So I just saw the Chromatica Ball in NJ last night and I want to start off by saying that point blank, the show was phenomenal. Truly life changing, I sang, I cried, I danced. Gaga's vocals live are... otherworldly. Video recordings just do not do her justice, which is insane to me that someone could be THAT good live. As a performer, Gaga is unparalleled and the show was really just amazing. I will go see her again and again, no matter what she plays, whether it's pop or jazz or rock or even slam poetry lol.

But, after finally seeing it, I will admit I was let down by the visuals and overall lack of cohesiveness when it comes to what Chromatica is. Especially because she sowed the seeds for so many different ideas early on - there were tribes in Stupid Love, and there was a neon pop-punk alien cyber goth look in Rain on Me to mine from. Then there was the beautiful, stunning, spectacular, amazing visuals in the 911 music video that I would've paid $1million to see come to life on stage somehow. 

I feel like the show was a weird extension of the Born This Way aesthetic, but in an inferior way? It was all black leather and concrete (yes, yes, brutalism) but the BTWB was actually based in the visuals she built in the music videos, so it felt like a true immersion into the world she had already created. Where was the gooey, neon explosion of alien matter that paints the artwork? I feel like I was just missing the connection to Chromatica, if I'm honest. This felt like a Lady Gaga Concert, not The Chromatica Ball World Tour (does that make sense?)

I'm also sad at the lack of story. There was a symbolic through-line, certainly, where we could see this sort of birth or creation of Gaga on Chromatica through this mechanical surgery, and how her mind was evolving through the show. But I look back on shows like The Monster Ball and sigh fondly. 

This is kind of a cathartic journal for what I'm feeling post show. Take it as you will. 

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Maxine Puth

Honestly I think the whole other world aesthetic left after the album release. Even 911, while amazing, didn’t stick to the themes that we had at the start. This is only natural though, and you can tell she’s in the right headspace with the show she’s doing. I’d much rather her put on a great show she likes than drag herself through a concept she abandoned two years ago. 

Retro Dance Freak

The story of Chromatica shown in the ball’s set list and visuals was really obvious to me idk. i understood what she was trying to convey, and it wasn’t in your face like the monster ball was when she stated what she was doing and what was happening all the time.

i do think it’s not as cohesive with the original vision as it could have been but at the same time, i prefer the brutalist style over the original theme and wish she had done it for the videos and artwork rather than project the videos and artwork onto the ball. i feel like the brutalist of the ball and colours of the 2020 chromatica are two sides of the same coin, they are so opposite that they make sense existing together for me

Don't be insecure if your heart is pure.

Monstermilo

ya honestly let down by the visuals and i really wish the catwalk was a lot bigger but everything else is good 

the visuals are very generic not at all gaga 

but tbh none of her tours have had strong visuals idk why cuz shes the visuals queen

Tinnitus15
1 minute ago, Monstermilo said:

TCB interludes are her best one!!!!wdym??

Chesescake
10 minutes ago, lolitamuse said:

neon pop-punk alien cyber goth

Omg what is this post-TikTok mix Tumblr aesthetic description I must decease :rip:

faint i cant GIF

lolitamuse
Just now, Chesescake said:

Omg what is this post-TikTok mix Tumblr aesthetic description I must decease :rip:

faint i cant GIF

A0Ywm1ACMAAlinb?format=png&name=small

Vengaboy

I totally see where you're coming from and I can agree! Though I don't think it's possible to be disappointed after seeing the show, I felt the same way! I thought it would be more like ArtRave in terms of visuals, props, costumes etc and that there would more of a storyline like she did w The Monster Ball Tour as well as BTWB Ball!

But this is also one of the reasons why I love her and why she will forever be the greatest entertainer of our time. "When people think that they know what Lady Gaga is, I want to remind themthat they don't". 

Linus Gaga

i didnt attend the ball, but from the videos, I think the overall lighting is not enough / as strong and crazy as artrave?

Hit me a message and say hi !

lolitamuse
1 minute ago, Linus Gaga said:

i didnt attend the ball, but from the videos, I think the overall lighting is not enough / as strong and crazy as artrave?

Yes, the lighting was a little minimalist esp compared to artrave. There were a few times where the projection of Gaga and her dancers on the screen behind her was super dim and hard to see, and it was related to the lighting because when the lights got brighter the video got stronger. Definitely a good point. 

NATAH
13 minutes ago, Monstermilo said:

but tbh none of her tours have had strong visuals idk why cuz shes the visuals queen

um WHAT? :what:

mother, what must i do?

NATAH

i feel like it adds another dimension to the album, the whole tribe thing was forgotten about after 2020 anyway

maybe the coachella show was meant to be all about that aesthetic... i kinda love how she switches it up mid-era, it happened in Joanne too

mother, what must i do?

OMonster

I argued in this thread (if you're interested) that TCB represents 'Chromatica' in a more accurate and truthful way to what it's actually about than the visual direction of the era to begin with.

Let's be real: Chromatica is about Gaga struggling immensely with fame, pain, her mental health and the status she has in the world. It's a very dark album that 'sounds' quite light and breezy but obviously isn't. Everything about the tour - the stage, interludes, costumes, setlist - represent the darkness of the album; the core of what 'Chromatica' is saying: that Gaga was in a dark place but was able to heal by making music and reconciling with her fame.

I personally feel that the earlier visuals for the album did not capture the essence of Chromatica in the right way. Especially the Stupid Love video and the choice of that as a lead single. I would've loved to have seen a darker vision to begin with, so I love the creative direction of TCB, which - for me - properly (and for the first time in the era) reflects the brutality and darkness of what the album is all about. 

subtext / fantasy

Linus Gaga
9 minutes ago, lolitamuse said:

Yes, the lighting was a little minimalist esp compared to artrave. There were a few times where the projection of Gaga and her dancers on the screen behind her was super dim and hard to see, and it was related to the lighting because when the lights got brighter the video got stronger. Definitely a good point. 

I realised during Alice,  even at the beatdrops, the lighting was so steady and no strobe flashing effects, and that's why the crowd seems a bit dead 

Hit me a message and say hi !

LUCARTPOP

Kinda think the brutalist architecture and those aesthetics were the original plans for the era, but because it was too personal or painful for her, she made up a "fake planet" that were a facade of what was truly going on with her. 

Both concepts are excellent and I love how she dared to show this side for her tour. It's pretty much colours (era) vs. darkness (tour), but it makes a lot of sense to me. 

Archived