Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
movie

Will DVD, Blu-Ray, 4K Blu- Ray, and CD’s make a come back?

BARKDANGER

Featured Posts

BARKDANGER

Does anyone think that physical digital media - DVD, Blu-Ray, CD, and 4K Blu-Ray will make a resurgence in the future? 

I am a physical media collector and have over 700 DVD’s, Blu-Ray’s, and 4K Blu-Ray’s in my collection. 

I live in a rural area, without reliable internet, so at the present moment, streaming video isn’t a great option for me since it buffers and has poor picture quality.  Also, knowing that digital purchases of movies/TV shows, after reading the fine print, doesn’t mean I will own them forever, rather leasing them - unlike physical media, which I own forever. 

Will physical media like Blu-ray’s and DVD’s make a comeback like by vinyl records? Opinions? Are there any fellow collectors of physical media out there? 

“I’m on the edge of glory…”

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
weed

Maybe! If there’s an apocalypse they’ll definitely become a hot commodity :pawsup:

NATAH

i can't see DVDs coming back whilst blu-rays exist, due to their bigger size and 4k capability. DVDs may linger as the cheaper option...

however there will always be a spot for blu-rays and CDs imo! i love collecting CDs because:

- they're cheaper than vinyl

- they're smaller than vinyl

- they're more versatile

- you only notice the difference in quality if you know what you're talking about

i buy vinyls for decorative purposes because a beautiful album cover deserves to be printed on a nice big square :firega: i especially love picture discs and almost all of gaga's picture discs (just missing the super rare MTN 7 inch disc :giveup:)

personal tastes aside: streaming becoming more expensive and unreliable is proving physical (and also digital) ownership has a solid spot. seeing your favourite movies/tv shows leave your main streaming service because the IP owners have decided to launch their own site is happening way too often. people are being driven back to either piracy or physical media.

music streaming seems to be stable though, probably because exclusivity is very rare (tidal) and spotify is free to use. the downsides aren't as strong compared to the fall of the netflix monopoly

mother, what must i do?

BARKDANGER
3 minutes ago, weed said:

Maybe! If there’s an apocalypse they’ll definitely become a hot commodity :pawsup:

It might be because I’m an older millennial, but there is nothing like going to the store on home media release date, after waiting some time, and picking up a new DVD or CD, and still having that sense of excitement, like I hit the jackpot, and the joy it brings me of nostalgia. :enigma:

BARKDANGER
4 minutes ago, NATAH said:

i can't see DVDs coming back whilst blu-rays exist, due to their bigger size and 4k capability. DVDs may linger as the cheaper option...

however there will always be a spot for blu-rays and CDs imo! i love collecting CDs because:

- they're cheaper than vinyl

- they're smaller than vinyl

- they're more versatile

- you only notice the difference in quality if you know what you're talking about

i buy vinyls for decorative purposes because a beautiful album cover deserves to be printed on a nice big square :firega: i especially love picture discs and almost all of gaga's picture discs (just missing the super rare MTN 7 inch disc :giveup:)

personal tastes aside: streaming becoming more expensive and unreliable is proving physical (and also digital) ownership has a solid spot. seeing your favourite movies/tv shows leave your main streaming service because the IP owners have decided to launch their own site is happening way too often. people are being driven back to either piracy or physical media.

music streaming seems to be stable though, probably because exclusivity is very rare (tidal) and spotify is free to use. the downsides aren't as strong compared to the fall of the netflix monopoly

I agree with your views. DVD’s will never hold up to Blu-Ray due to picture quality. I do see steaming music to be the norm going forward and CD’s fading unfortunately. Even though I was raised in it’s prime. Vinyl will stay I think because it is a niche to have and is such a relic of technology, plus it has such collections potential because of the larger cardboard sleeve (it also looks nice as a item on a shelf or so what.) 

But DVD’s will always hold a special place in my heart, and still make up the most of my collection. I remember the first DVD I owned, it was in 2002, and it was The Others. Watching a movie on a Disc was so weird at first. I was like what are menus, chapters, and the ability to not have to rewind like VHS- it throw me off. 

NATAH
Just now, BARKDANGER said:

I agree with your views. DVD’s will never hold up to Blu-Ray due to picture quality. I do see steaming music to be the norm going forward and CD’s fading unfortunately. Even though I was raised in it’s prime. Vinyl will stay I think because it is a niche to have and is such a relic of technology, plus it has such collections potential because of the larger cardboard sleeve (it also looks nice as a item on a shelf or so what.) 

But DVD’s will always hold a special place in my heart, and still make up the most of my collection. I remember the first DVD I owned, it was in 2002, and it was The Others. Watching a movie on a Disc was so weird at first. I was like what are menus, chapters, and the ability to not have to rewind like VHS- it throw me off. 

i think the only thing saving the CD is their smaller size and cheaper price 🥲

they may one day be gone forever but they seem to be clinging on. i find indie artists are just as willing to produce CDs as big name artists which is encouraging but i think people do prefer the style and nostalgia of vinyls. they are gorgeous :giveup:

mother, what must i do?

The Fame

I honestly think CDs will come around again.

I mean, cassettes have come around again, and they're honestly pretty bad technology with the little loosey goosey tape in them that gets all snarled. CDs are far superior. 

DVDs...I kinda feel haven't truly gone away, tbh. 

BARKDANGER
10 minutes ago, NATAH said:

i think the only thing saving the CD is their smaller size and cheaper price 🥲

they may one day be gone forever but they seem to be clinging on. i find indie artists are just as willing to produce CDs as big name artists which is encouraging but i think people do prefer the style and nostalgia of vinyls. they are gorgeous :giveup:

I had a PT Cruiser (AKA Pt Loser) for ten years, which had a cassette and CD player), so I was able to play all my CD’s, including Chromatica. Then the car decided to die. So I had purchase a newer car, model 2016. Driving off the lot I realized it didn’t have a built in CD. :cryga: 

That’s when the downfall hit me. :bradley:

BARKDANGER
4 minutes ago, The Fame said:

I honestly think CDs will come around again.

I mean, cassettes have come around again, and they're honestly pretty bad technology with the little loosey goosey tape in them that gets all snarled. CDs are far superior. 

DVDs...I kinda feel haven't truly gone away, tbh. 

Growing up in the 90’s, and having to rewind a cassette that was loose with a pencil, brings back so many memories. 

I’m not ready to let go of DVD’s. The picture quality is only 480p, but sometimes I like the cheaper price tag and the Walmart $3 bargain finds. Sometime I still buy VHS off of EBay if I can’t find a reasonably priced old classic film. 

Future Lovers

As long as there is a market for collecting, these formats won't ever truly die. That's how vinyls persisted until they had a revival. 

BARKDANGER
14 minutes ago, Mr Mendes said:

As long as there is a market for collecting, these formats won't ever truly die. That's how vinyls persisted until they had a revival. 

I truly hope you are right. :kiss:

RAMROD

Audio media are usually romanticized as it gets more vintage. Just like our generation now to cassette and vinyls, I think CD can always make a return 20-30 years from now. 

Not so sure about the visual media though, never see instances such as VHS or Laser Discs making a return. And  AFAIK no new movies were sold in this format for even niche markets.  

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ✧*:・゚ unknown.. despair.. a lost (*´艸`*) ♡♡♡

BARKDANGER
2 minutes ago, RAMROD said:

Audio media are usually romanticized as it gets more vintage. Just like our generation now to cassette and vinyls, I think CD can always make a return 20-30 years from now. 

Not so sure about the visual media though, never see instances such as VHS or Laser Discs making a return. And  AFAIK no new movies were sold in this format for even niche markets.  

You make a good point. I guess time will tell about visual media. To be honest there is no redeeming quality for VHS or Laser Disc. Laser Disc did have huge art sleeve, but having to flip the disc half way through an hour and a half movie was a pain, and the humming noise from its spinning was terrible. :messga:  I hope there is still a niche market for Blu-ray/ DVD in the future. Even if it’s a Mom and Pop store.

In my town, there is one dedicated store for Vinyl, (I don’t believe they sell cassettes.) I was going to buy Chromatica on Cassette when I still had a car that had a built in player. 

If I remember correctly, the last VHS sold in the USA was in 2006. 

TortureMeOnReplay

Playstation just lost the rights to a bunch of movies. So even though customers BOUGHT their films, many are losing their ability to watch them from a certain distributor. I feel like if this became more common and on a wider scale people would want to retain their rights to a movie/show/album and we might see a small transition back. 

not when offline digital media exists

checkout my channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5iGoXYpXnIfLHH1o7H9lxA

Archived