Who is Harley Quinn? Breaking Down Gaga's Next Character

Stephen

Featured Posts

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Stephen
5 hours ago, Trigger said:

The thing that interests me most about Gaga's portrayal is the possibility that it will be mutually dysfunctional, where both characters bring out the best and worst in each other and ultimately rely on each other to progress in whatever their missions are. I don't consider the Joker and Harley's union to be glorification of abuse, it's just a story.

And if Gaga does it right she could be the Heath Ledger of Harley Quinns, trailblazing an endlessly replicated portrayal that film critics will be studying for decades to come, because I truly think it's possible to have the Joker and Harley together and not make it about the toxicity, but rather what they bring out in each other and how they elevate one another. Not to mention the fact Joaquin Phoneix's Joker doesn't show much sign of being an abuser, rather just a neurotic man driven to violence by societal corruption. Harley could be of that same affinity, easily.

As for Gaga actually portraying her, I think it's safe to say (from her following a Harley Quinn role-play account on Twitter) that it's Harley in spirit even if they use a different name.

Damn really great insight I hadn't considered. I'm so curious how they'll do it.

StrawberryBlond

A very well thought out read, thank you for that. My only concern is that comic book fans tend to be very elitist and want things kept exactly as they are and when it comes to the Joker having a relationship, it will have to be Harley or nothing, so I'm nervous at the possibility of this iconic character changing name, look and backstory. But considering the first movie was so well received with all the liberties it took with an established character, perhaps it's all in the way it's sold? A big reason why Birds of Prey didn't take off is because so many fans of this pairing didn't like to see Harley without Joker and because Harley's look changed considerably and wasn't as sexualised and hot (to the average straight man). So, they'll have to approach Gaga's portrayal carefully. I'm sure she'll slay the acting, that's a given, but will her entire character be sold right? But if it does work out, this could be a Harley depiction for the ages. Which is nothing against Margot, as I love her take on her, but I hope that she doesn't feel sidelined after making a mark with her portrayal as the definitive Harley. But then again, she was the first ever live action depiction of Harley, so pretty much anyone who played her for the first time may well have been granted amazing reception and as comic book movies go through so many sequels and reboots, there will definitely be other actors playing the same character over time, so we can't really expect there to be one portrayal till the end of time.

On 8/5/2022 at 10:09 PM, River said:

Just my honest opinion is that Margot’s Harley is the worst adaptation in the DC universe (comics/movies/cartoons etc.)

For what its worth, on the premiere of the first Suicide Squad, Harley's creator simply tweeted "nailed it" in direct response to Margot's portrayal. We're all allowed our own opinions, naturally, but the creator thought she was perfect, so it gives you an idea about what message that sent to the studios when developing the character going forward.

emili0
On 8/5/2022 at 12:51 PM, Hold My Ham said:

Is there confirmation that she's playing Harley Quinn? I thought there was another possible character with a really long name 

5 hours ago, Nathan said:

She ain’t playing her, but I appreciate the effort put into this thread. 

I think it’s basically confirmed because of the heart tattoo on her eye

C8-EDBC1-D-35-C2-4709-9538-C6-CE88-D71-A

multiversus-harley-quinn-1.jpg

margot_robbie_calls_harley_quinn_exhaust

hieronymus
3 hours ago, emili0 said:

I think it’s basically confirmed because of the heart tattoo on her eye

C8-EDBC1-D-35-C2-4709-9538-C6-CE88-D71-A

multiversus-harley-quinn-1.jpg

margot_robbie_calls_harley_quinn_exhaust

Oh damn. Nice catch. I had to watch on like 144p and thought it was just a spot

NATAH
10 hours ago, Nathan said:

who do u think she's playing? :oprah:

mother, what must i do?

Space Cowboy
13 hours ago, Nathan said:

Omg is she playing poison ivy??

Trigger

Everyone seems to be forgetting that Gaga literally started following a Harley Quinn role-play account when the rumours first started circulating. If that’s not confirmation I don’t know what is. 😭

Moonlight on Water

Gaga is harley, and she's been harley ever since she had her surreal eye mole

she/her

Archived