💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Who is Harley Quinn? Breaking Down Gaga's Next Character

Stephen

Featured Posts

Reality
3 minutes ago, River said:

Just my honest opinion is that Margot’s Harley is the worst adaptation in the DC universe (comics/movies/cartoons etc.)

Really?? :fatcat: Margot's Harley is like one of the very few redeeming things about the DCEU for me :giveup:

🖤👹

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
River
10 minutes ago, Reality said:

Really?? :fatcat: Margot's Harley is like one of the very few redeeming things about the DCEU for me :giveup:

Well compare to the the rest if the DCEU, then yes she was the best thing there but it’s to be the best among the worst.

I felt they didn’t catch the idea and complexity behind the Harley a character and just made a “clownish-like free spirited psychotic girl” character and call her Harley, without digging much about her as a whole story.

Even the cartoon gives much more depth to this version of Harley.

Je ne parle pas français but I can padam if you like

Regina George
1 hour ago, Dojo said:

misogynistic, patriarchal fantasies

we will not be watching or supporting this project

? It’s a movie sir.. Also even tho it’s a movie this abusive situation is the reality of MANY women out there. 

Dojo
11 minutes ago, Regina George said:

? It’s a movie sir.. Also even tho it’s a movie this abusive situation is the reality of MANY women out there. 

i know :samanthac:

Stephen
3 hours ago, River said:

Well compare to the the rest if the DCEU, then yes she was the best thing there but it’s to be the best among the worst.

I felt they didn’t catch the idea and complexity behind the Harley a character and just made a “clownish-like free spirited psychotic girl” character and call her Harley, without digging much about her as a whole story.

That’s true the new Harley cartoon is also really great. It’s comedic but there’s still a serious arc and character development for Harley. 

Roronoa
4 hours ago, Regina George said:

I think @Dojo was just making a joke. :sweat:

Reality
16 hours ago, River said:

I felt like they delved deeper into the complexities of the character with Birds of Prey and The Suicide Squad, but I can sorta see what you mean; they could've gone farther.

I think Folié a Deux is going to be a great character study/exploration for Harley, similar to what they did with Joker in the first movie. Gaga's definitely not going to be playing the "clownish free spirited psychotic girl”. It's going to have a lot more nuance, which I think should be exciting. 

🖤👹

Helxig
6 hours ago, Dojo said:

misogynistic, patriarchal fantasies

we will not be watching or supporting this project

6 hours ago, Stephen said:

What’s the point of art if it doesn’t reflect life? Abuse is unfortunately real and a character rising above that can be inspirational. Harley’s story has a happy ending. 

Exactly. Movies are supposed to tell stories. Some stories are not happy ones, and it's important that those stories are told too. As long as it is being framed that the relationship is toxic, and not framed in a way that makes it 'desirable', which I'm sure they won't do

I'll be myself until they fūcking close the coffin.

SevenWonder

Thank you for this! It was so informative. I know nothing - and I mean nothing - about comic books. So this was kick a** for me!

Ziggy
8 hours ago, River said:

I agree that she may not play “Harley” but a character based on her.

Just to add that there are 3 (or even more) active Jokers in the DC universe so one Joker and his “Harley” is not canceling the other but completing the Joker mystery.

Just my honest opinion is that Margot’s Harley is the worst adaptation in the DC universe (comics/movies/cartoons etc.)

That I chalk up to writing more than her acting imo. She’s yet to get a script that’s up to par with what she can bring to the character imo

tomsches

I will not watch ASIB ever again. It promotes alcoholism and public urination. Don’t even get me started on House of Gucci. It promotes buying ugly expensive clothes. In fact, I won’t be watching any movie anymore because they all have a central conflict as a plot and I don’t support problems or conflicts!!1!1!1 

Trigger

The thing that interests me most about Gaga's portrayal is the possibility that it will be mutually dysfunctional, where both characters bring out the best and worst in each other and ultimately rely on each other to progress in whatever their missions are. I don't consider the Joker and Harley's union to be glorification of abuse, it's just a story.

And if Gaga does it right she could be the Heath Ledger of Harley Quinns, trailblazing an endlessly replicated portrayal that film critics will be studying for decades to come, because I truly think it's possible to have the Joker and Harley together and not make it about the toxicity, but rather what they bring out in each other and how they elevate one another. Not to mention the fact Joaquin Phoneix's Joker doesn't show much sign of being an abuser, rather just a neurotic man driven to violence by societal corruption. Harley could be of that same affinity, easily.

As for Gaga actually portraying her, I think it's safe to say (from her following a Harley Quinn role-play account on Twitter) that it's Harley in spirit even if they use a different name.

Oriane
11 minutes ago, tomsches said:

I will not watch ASIB ever again. It promotes alcoholism and public urination. Don’t even get me started on House of Gucci. It promotes buying ugly expensive clothes. In fact, I won’t be watching any movie anymore because they all have a central conflict as a plot and I don’t support problems or conflicts!!1!1!1 

Thanks for speaking up about that. I started urinating everywhere in public ever since I saw the movie, I can see that people are embarrassed but I don't know how to do it differently anymore :wtf:

You popped my heart seams, all my bubble dreams

tomsches
11 minutes ago, Oriane said:

Thanks for speaking up about that. I started urinating everywhere in public ever since I saw the movie, I can see that people are embarrassed but I don't know how to do it differently anymore :wtf:

Same. I can now only urinate at award shows. It’s really a problem because it is causing my financial ruin. Do you know how expensive it is to travel everyday looking for a place where they are currently having an award show just so I can urinate?

i think it started with my childhood trauma when I watched The sound of music and it promoted dead mothers. I haven’t been able to hold it in ever since. 

Archived