💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Celine Dion: As queer folks, what is your relation to her?

Vincem

Featured Posts

I'm a french-canadian from the province of Québec and I always wanted to know how queer people from outside Québec see Celine. What's your relation with her and her music? We gays from Québec have DEFINATELY a biased perception of her since we've been in touch with the full spectrum of her career, from her modest beginning in Québec, to her worldwide stardom. We literally grew up with her in our ears, and TV. She's the only international queen we have, the only Quebecers to reach that level of fame so we grew up with a special bond with her. 

I often feel she's forgotten a lot when talks about gay icons start. We say her name when we talk about the vocal trinity of the nineties, but I see her name does not come a lot in gay icons chats. Not as much as Mariah, or Whitney do. In Quebec, you cannot go to a karaoke bar (gay or straight) without Celine being sung at the top of the lungs of everyone in the bar. Drag Queens also actually do her justice (Hello miss Hytes). There's also a strong rumour some Quebecers LOVE to spread about the fact she might be a lesbian. 

So, what's your Celine bond? What has been her impact or influence in your queer journey? 

tylerjs

I don't really have any connection with any except Gaga honestly. I've never associated with other artists that way, from a gay perspective or otherwise

🇨🇺🇧🇸 monica from rhoslc kinda had a point

im a gay french canadian and i can relate :heart:

no karaoke night is complete or successful without Pour que tu m'aimes encore. 

Arcanum

Any bottom who respects yourself should have sang "cause i'm your laaaaadaaaaayyyy" to your first love. Jk.

The thing about Celine is that she is boring. Don't get me wrong I have full discography. Her songs are diamond, her character the same. However, she mostly sings about love plus, except the last few years, she used to be aesthetically dull. Gays cannot relate easily with unproblematic queens. She is respected though for her artistry and the MV for "Did you give enough love" is lit.

I Wantth your Love...I Wantth your Love.

8 minutes ago, Arcanum said:

Any bottom who respects yourself should have sang "cause i'm your laaaaadaaaaayyyy" to your first love. Jk.

The thing about Celine is that she is boring. Don't get me wrong I have full discography. Her songs are diamond, her character the same. However, she mostly sings about love plus, except the last few years, she used to be aesthetically dull. Gays cannot relate easily with unproblematic queens. She is respected though for her artistry and the MV for "Did you give enough love" is lit.

The thing is her husband was very protective of her image. He didn't want to shock her core fanbase in Quebec which was basically made of "des petites madames". When Britney popped up and changed the game, Mariah took a more teen pop turn, while Celine played the mother card (for faaaaar too long). The Miracle album, wtf. After A New Day Has Come, she came out very bland. At least the show in Vegas was WOW. But her early work and nineties discography is pure gold. Since René died, she really blossomed for the best. 

Im from Mtl so I cant comment as per thread rules ahah but idk her music is just a bunch of dramatic bops

Guillaume Hamon

I'm french and here we do present her as a gay icon time to time.

Also so we see her as a gay-friendly through her song Ziggy but this track is probably  unknown in most countries.

Kim Petrus

I’m French and as you may know, she’s huuuuge here, especially with her French songs

The day I was born Because you loved me was number one on the charts

When I was 4 my teacher told my mum she saw me on the playground singing My heart Will go on while imitating the kiss scene of Titanic :gaysia:

i couldn’t stop watching her Paris Bercy 1999 gig on tv, my parents actually recorded it for me to be able to watch it over and over again

She’s the first icon I identified with. I’m not that fascinated with her anymore but I still listen to her sometimes. 
She is very loved and a lot of gays can identify in her while she vehicles so much values about religion/family/heteronormativity, I don’t really understand why

anyways she’s great!! There this Pop Pantheon episode about her that I found very interesting https://open.spotify.com/episode/6FAoZYZC8CEH7pKuCEyfTe?si=JM5tU4WKQfuWRIi-juBSSg

BlingNotTheMusic
1 hour ago, holy scheisse said:

i know my heart will go on:poot:

Happy Black Girl GIF

BlingNotTheMusic

As a ghey who grew up in the 90s (in the US) Celine was THAT BITCH for powerhouse vocals! I actually have fond memories of my mom playing the "It's All Coming Back To Me" cassette tape over and over and over in the car and we knew every word and would just keep playing it over and over! :heart: Perhaps this is how I got so good at lipsyncing :bear:

But Celine was huge then and I remember loving songs and videos for That's The Way It Is, Because You Loved Me, I Drove All Night, All By Myself, and OF COURSE My Heart Will Go On

I actually have a memory of being obsessed with that song and Titanic, I bought the soundtrack for that one song. And I was 8 when it came out and I wrote "My Heart Will Go On" on the back of the school bus seat in pencil eraser. A kid saw what I did and read it out loud and laughed and said "f@g" :huntyga:

My love for Celine was reignited with her Taking Chances album :heart: she tried new genres and sounds, collabed with Neyo, she really can do it all. She's honestly such an icon I wish more people gave her the RESPECK she deserves

Celine Dion Cd GIF

1 hour ago, Kim Petass said:

She is very loved and a lot of gays can identify in her while she vehicles so much values about religion/family/heteronormativity, I don’t really understand why

Well, she's not the only one tho. All the american singers have been part of the god gimmick at some point. They're almost all straight and get kids too. We love them for their voices, their songs, what they make us feel and the clothes they wear. 

beli8

Im from the states (and a lesbian) and I adore her. And I adore karaoke and singing her songs when I do karaoke, so now I must go do that in Canada!!!!

Its All Coming Back To Me Now is one of my favorite songs of all time. I sing the hell outta that one whenever I can lol I surely sound horrible but I think the ppl at the bars like that I take a chance with it haha.

Archived