💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Bad Romance = Stupid Love?

OMonster

Featured Posts

OMonster

I've always thought the synonymity between 'Bad Romance' and 'Stupid Love' was very intentional. 

We know Gaga made Chromatica when she didn't want to be 'Gaga' and was struggling with her fame. I think 'Stupid Love' as a title is meant to ironically 'parody' 'Bad Romance' as the song that ultimately turned her into - or at least consolidated - her status as 'Lady Gaga'. I wouldn't even be surprised if the title came about as a joke: "Oh they all want another 'Bad Romance'? I'll give them 'Stupid Love'... wait a minute... that could actually work..." or something like that, lol. 

I also think the song is about Gaga wanting the love of the public and her fans. It's a 'stupid' love because it's fickle and often superficial but is still a love she craves. For me, the lyrics are about how her fans idolise her whilst she herself feels so worthless and unimportant... hence why she wants their/our love to lift her up. I guess it's a similar message to 1000 Doves but put in a different, more euphoric way. 

I mean... 

You're the one that I've been waiting for - she's been waiting for the fans to make her smile again. 
Gotta quit this crying - she's been sad, not making music and not feeling like 'Gaga' for some time. 
Nobody's gonna heal me if I don't open the door - if she doesn't make music (which she's often referred to as opening doors), she's not going to be happy again because music is ultimately her saviour. 
Kinda hard to believe, gotta have faith in me - she struggles to believe what the fans say and think about her but if she has faith in herself, maybe she will be okay. 

Freak out, freak out, freak out, freak out (look at me)
Get down, get down, get down, get down (look at me)
Freak out, freak out, freak out, freak out
Look at me now
- all of this to me feels like her talking about the fans freaking out about her and making her smile again. 'Look at me now' is reflecting how she's in her element when she's around screaming fans who worship her and make her feel good again. 

'Cause all I ever wanted was love - she only ever wanted to be loved by the public and her fans. 

I want your stupid love, love - it's a stupid love because it's fickle, shallow and superficial at times and not 'real' - but it's still a love she needs in her life, despite that. 

Now it's time to free me from the shame
I gotta find that peace, is it too late?
Or could this love protect me from the pain?
I would battle for you (even if we break in two) -
it's time to free herself and make pop music for the fans again. She would battle for us (as she always has) even if we don't always celebrate her. She is relating making pop music to 'battling' through her demons and 'reclaiming her dance floor' after ARTPOP. 

That's my interpretation of the song anyway. I see it as a kind of diss track that started with Gaga resenting what 'Bad Romance' represented but then realising that she still craves the love and admiration of her 'Little Monsters', despite how flawed, fickle and ultimately 'stupid' that love can sometimes be. 

It doesn't make sense to me that the song is about a romantic love. Why would she call it stupid? I just don't feel that's how Gaga would describe a relationship. 

subtext / fantasy

OMonster
18 minutes ago, VasilisVas said:

This is a far stretch 

Really? I don't think it's a coincidence that she'd reuse the same meaning as 'Bad Romance' again, considering it's her staple hit. I don't think the lyrics read as a song about romance either. 

subtext / fantasy

elijahfan
1 hour ago, VasilisVas said:

This is a far stretch 

You think so? While I'm not sure this was necessarily intentional, I'd be surprised if the similarity between the two titles didn't cross her mind.

TimotheeChalamet

No, definitely not. They are two completely different songs stemming from two completely different states of mind and maturity. Plus there is a video (I think it was the Zane Lowe interview) where she explains the meaning of the song and it's just meant to be a fun dance track about her mental healing 

Vengaboy

I think this is a great analysis! The "Stupid Love" being similar to the "Applause" that she lives for :)

Archived