• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
GovernmentHookah
9 minutes ago, NicoB said:

Not this...

He really meant Alice, Scheiße, and Babylon. :vegas:

Togekiss

I think Free Woman is the best composed/produced and is very strong lyrically but it’s a simpler song overall. It shines in the space it creates if you know what I mean.

bring on that pecan pie

Chris Thomason
3 minutes ago, Togekiss said:

I think Free Woman is the best composed/produced and is very strong lyrically but it’s a simpler song overall. It shines in the space it creates if you know what I mean.

Just the triple negative in the chorus alone ruins Free Woman lyrically

"I'm not nothing unless I know I can"

The "not" and "nothing" being a double negative cancel each other out. Which leaves you with "I am something unless I know I can" -  If she knows she can, she is nothing.

Togekiss
1 hour ago, Chris Thomason said:

The "not" and "nothing" being a double negative cancel each other out. Which leaves you with "I am something unless I know I can" -  If she knows she can, she is nothing.

I hate to be THAT guy but I have a degree in linguistics sooooo…

You’re saying it’s a double negative (which exists all over the place in modern and archaic forms of English alike, so not sure what the problem is there).

Also, she’s just using ‘not’ to negate the phrase “ I’m nothing without a steady hand” or “I’m nothing unless I know I can”.

You’re either nothing without a steady hand, or you’re not. You’re either nothing unless you know you can do it, or you’re not.

It’s not that complicated.

I think you’re actually confusing a double negative with negative agreement. I would agree with you if the lyric were “I ain’t nothing without a steady hand” but that’s not what she’s saying.

Does that make sense?

bring on that pecan pie

elijahfan

I agree it has fantastic lyrics, but I'm not a massive fan of the production. While the Diana Ross sample is clever, I don't really... like it :messga: I actually think the DoC remix is way better than the album version, but then again that's purely subjective.

To me, 911 is the best song on the album. Two years later, it's still my favorite.

elijahfan
8 hours ago, Peroxide555 said:

Girl, ROM is top 3 in her entire discography :rip:

I mean, I do enjoy the song but I'm not sure we'll still be talking about it 10 years down the line. I think she has other more unique songs on Chromatica that haven't necessarily been singles but had a more profound impact on the fanbase.

elijahfan
1 hour ago, Chris Thomason said:

Me right now

Confused Thinking GIF

Married the Night

I find it to be my least favorite on the album. I don’t know why but I’ve never connected to it. 

Married the Night
On 7/27/2022 at 7:13 PM, Peroxide555 said:

It's good, but much like HML on BTW, or DIC on Joanne... I don't fully understand the hype.

Personally, I think ROM is the only song on the record that's a clear 10.

This. 

sucker punch

a 10/10.  i fell off my chair the moment i listened to it. it goes HARD!

talk is cheap but costs a lot

Archived