Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
movie

Thor Love & Thunder (July 2022)

RAMROD

Featured Posts

skaxboy
Spoiler

I just saw it. Christian Bale’s acting was fantastic! Gorr is a pretty scary villain. I really wanted to see more of him killing other gods to really really hate him.  Mighty Thor was great! I wanted to see a little more Darcy too, in New Asgard and maybe have Val hit on her. It was a very funny movie, as expected, and visually pleasing. I really loved the black & white part. I would say I’d rank it third best of Phase 4 and the second best Thor solo movie. 

Reality

Watched the movie earlier today!

// SPOILERS BELOW //

Spoiler

I loved this movie. Overall I'd give it an 8.5-9 out of 10. Visually, the movie was fantastic. I was a bit hesitant at first because I thought the trailers, TV spots, and clips they released weren't that good, but it all looks great on the big screen. Omnipotent City and the black & white sequence were both especially incredible.

I thought they actually did the Mighty Thor/Jane Foster storyline well. I've heard some people say that they thought Jane's story was done dirty, but it wasn't imo. It was one of the most compelling parts of the movie. Natalie Portman also looked amazing as the Mighty Thor.

Valkyrie and Korg were both good in the movie too. I wished we got a bit more Valkyrie, but she was in the movie for a fair amount. Judging by the reviews I saw of the movie prior to seeing it, I thought she was going to be completely shafted, but she wasn't really. She got a fair amount of screentime and her action sequences were cool. She wasn't in the final fight between Thor/Jane and Gorr, but that makes sense. The emotional payoff for that scene was between Thor and Jane anyway.

Christian Bale did a fantastic job. He really gave it his all and I loved it. He was creepy and menacing, yet incredibly sympathetic. He also had some really cool visuals. The black & white stuff + going into the shadows was cool. If I had any major criticism of this movie, it'd be that we didn't get nearly enough time with him. I lowkey felt like we spent more time with the kids Gorr captured than Gorr himself, which was weird. I also would've liked to see more of the actual god butchering part. He only killed that one god on screen in the beginning and then after that, we were just told he was killing gods. Show, don't tell.

I thought Thor himself was great in this movie. I've seen critiques saying that Thor is too "dumbed down" in this film. I don't see that at all...He was sillier and comedic, sure, but he was also like that in Ragnarok. The character himself has evolved, but I don't think he's been "dumbed down" by any means. I loved his relationship with Jane and how we got to explore that more. Unlike a lot of people, I actually enjoyed their relationship in Thor and The Dark World, but this movie definitely did more with the two of them than in movies past. Also, love his new suit and the whole Stormbreaker vs. other weapons bit.

The biggest complaint this movie has received is that it's far too "comedic." While there are certainly a ton of jokes and things made for laughs (particularly in the first half of the film), I actually didn't find them as jarring as I guess some people did. If anything, I thought this movie did a better job at balancing the comedic & serious elements than Ragnarok did. Did all the jokes land? No, but most of them did (for me) and the jokes didn't take away anything from the emotional beats of the film imo. It just doesn't make sense to me that people can like (even love) Ragnarok, but then dislike/hate this movie. This movie truly felt like Ragnarok 2.0—which I guess depending on how you liked Ragnarok, it'll affect your enjoyment or disdain of this movie.

Overall, I really liked this film. Given the Rotten Tomatoes score + the CinemaScore, I was expecting to be disappointed, but I thoroughly enjoyed it tbh. In comparison to all the other Phase 4 movies so far (i.e., Black Widow, Shang-Chi, Eternals, No Way Home, Multiverse of Madness), I'd rank this just under NWH and Shang-Chi, but above all the others.

🃏🖤👹

Cody James

Loved it! I enjoyed how every storyline had an element of LOVE at the root. So many orientations and backgrounds! 

Anderson123

I really liked it. Thor is a great character and Chris has done a great job with it but I wasn't really that excited to watch this movie because I've only seen the Thor movies once, they're some of my least favorites from the MCU. This one was actually pretty fun and had stunning effects, the serious part were really good too. I'd say this is the best one out of the 4.

Spoiler

Very excited to see Thor vs. Hercules next.

SadBoi808

This movie was horrible. Edited terribly. So choppy. it felt more like a Disney+ episode. Rather than a MCU film.

2/5 for me 

(I really wanted to like this film, but hot damn it was a dumpster fire) 

Head Empty

For me it was a big mixed bag. I don't mind an emphasis on comedy. Ragnarok struck a great balance when it comes to that. Love and Thunder leaned into it a bit too much for my taste, which cheapened the more heartfelt moments. Which is a shame, because they were working with amazing themes. And the cast was great, especially Bale. I wish he had a more active role throughout the film, just to balance out the silliness of the rest.

Also it was plothole galore, but I'm not sure if we should care about those anymore in the MCU :laughga:

One part was really incredible though:

Spoiler

When all the kids got the power of Thor :bradley:. Can you imagine seeing something like that when you're young? Such a joyous scene. Empowering, visually stunning, funny and genuinely heartfelt.

phantasmas

Felt cheesy (like all the other MCU movies, tbh) and the stakes didn't seem high enough for me 

But I was entertained nonetheless :vegas:

AURAOFSHEISSE

I saw it on opening night, actually it’s probably my favorite mcu movie I’ve seen, Chris hemsworth is amazing Thor is such a teddy bear:bradley:

also am I the only one who thought Love looked like Penelope Disick:cryga:

“Hands on your knees, I’m Angelina Jolie”

Archived