JLoveLamar
11 minutes ago, Wolf Boy said:

When did she say this?

During prop 8, I believe.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Franch Toast

I’m not going to tag anyone, but I’ll just say that these terms are not meant to be a synonym for “women”— they are meant to serve as umbrella terms encompassing a range of people, including some cisgender women, some trans men, some non-binary people, and some intersex people. Not all women, cisgender or otherwise, menstruate, are fertile, or have kids. This doesn’t make them less of a woman, it shows that women’s experiences are multivaried. Meanwhile, some people who aren’t women do menstruate, are fertile, or do get pregnant. 

As a cisgender woman, I welcome more inclusive language when the situation calls for it. This doesn’t mean I can’t be called a woman, it means that when referring to a disparate group of people who share some of the same qualities, in certain contexts, it is more inclusive and more accurate to focus on these shared qualities than labeling everyone with one term that doesn’t apply to them. Now if these labels were meant to be synonymous with “woman”/“woman,” it would be a problem, but they aren’t. As an example, “menstruator” is not meant to replace the category of “woman”— it’s meant as an umbrella term for anyone who menstruates, and so on and so forth. 

That said, some of this terminology needs to be rethought. I’d rather be referred to as someone who menstruates than a menstruator. But cringeworthy labels aside, these terms are not meant to be a stand-in for the words woman/woman.

She/Her/Hers

KindnessPUNK D

We’re in a time where we are attempting  to fight for reproductive rights/safety while undergoing massive changes to how we view gender and what constitutes being a woman. That said, the language police are going to need to chill as there just isn’t enough universal clarity on what’s right and wrong in reference to terms were coming up with on the fly in the name of inclusiveness. 

I think it we need to move away from the gender politics as it relates to the right to safe abortions as what we are fighting for is access to HEALTHCARE. 

There is a Trans narrative being pushed here as a distraction and I hate how the community is being utilized politically. It’s hard enough to carry a differing gender identity without this extra madness.

Archived