Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
celeb

Bette Middler shares (potentially) transphobic tweet

Dojo

Featured Posts

Pennywise
Just now, PartySick said:

Yeah, so others are reading it the same way :laughga:

But she's consistently been anti-right so I think @Chromatography and @Anderson123 might be right and she was making a point that women are more than incubators. It's a shame transphobes have hijacked feminism so badly that stating that can be interpreted as transphobia.

I think so, too. She was openly defending trans rights before, I don't see why that'd change overnight. I hope she takes the criticism (the valid parts, not the jokes and stuff) and applies it to her own rhetoric, though. 

And on the other hand we might just be wrong and she might have went full terf-y for some reason :poot:

YOUR GOD IS NOT HERE MICHAEL NOR WILL HE EVER BE

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Aussie
22 minutes ago, Julia Fox said:

Sorry but isn’t this more related to abortion laws rather than anything trans-related? Unless there is background to it? 

Dojo
1 minute ago, Aussie said:

Sorry but isn’t this more related to abortion laws rather than anything trans-related? Unless there is background to it? 

maybe? i don't really know either

Pennywise
1 minute ago, Aussie said:

The background (of the terms and people who are against those) of that is mostly TERFs such as R*wling trying to erase any trans-inclusive language by trying to make it sound like trans people are trying to erase "women". I haven't seen Bette be actively a TERF ever before, though. 

YOUR GOD IS NOT HERE MICHAEL NOR WILL HE EVER BE

Batwings

Bette has been a staunch LGBTQ+ ally for decades. I strongly doubt she intended any transphobia. 

EDIT: Also, it's Midler, not Middler. 

River

eeeeeeh she was transphobic to Caitlin Jenner before but on the other hand she's pro-trans rights so it's just Bette Middler being Bette Middler I guess and she mixed the Pro-Choice with TERF language.

Je ne parle pas français but I can padam if you like

RichAssPiss

Remember when we changed unnecessarily gendered professional titles like postman or fireman to postal worker or fire fighter to avoid the stigma of erasing women from those jobs? Same thing, Bette. Just say "person" because they could be any gender. Pregnant person. It's not that radical an idea. 

Taylucifer

really hope that it is more just ignorance than hate but I guess time will tell

1989 (TV) is out NOW

Oriane

Her tweets have been suggested to me recently (I hate the new way Twitter works, it's showing me more suggested tweets in my timeline than things people I follow tweeted/liked), and she has said a lot of progressive things, so when I saw that last evening, it surprised me. I guess she just doesn't know the context of these words.

You popped my heart seams, all my bubble dreams

PussOfYonce
2 hours ago, PartySick said:

Accuracy > creativity :triggered:

hmmmm i disagree

Tea Time Omg GIF

anyways i dont think she meant the tweet to come off as transphobic so idk, as long as the transphobic feminists clamp it, im so sick of them istg.

✨ puthy tight, puthy clean, puthy fresh ✨

JLoveLamar

I still have not forgiven her for what she said about gays and gay marriage over ten years ago. I won't ever forget the way my heart dropped after watching this

JLoveLamar

I also meant to say, when people show you who they are, believe them the first time. She says in the clip gays are responsible for her career and were the first ones who paid her a beyond liveable wage. Just because someone hands you money does not mean they see you as an equal. It's time we learn that.

BornAsUnic0rn
2 hours ago, Aussie said:

The issue is.. she clearly argued against the abortion law debacle and what conservatives are trying to do, but she did it using the rhetoric of terfs and the right, mocking inclusive words under the pretense of being pro women. 

Emvee

I think she’s just an ignorant boomer who has difficulty understanding new social mores. 

That being said, most of the people using gender neutral language are the people at the forefront of fighting for reproductive rights. It’s super lame that she’s taking aim at those people and she deserves the backlash she’s getting. **** idiots who get mad at leftists over “language policing” when it’s fascists who are actually killing people. 

RichAssPiss

What is especially wrong about this is that it frames trans people as an enemy to women's progress and as implicitly conspiring against women. When she could just as easily have recognized trans people as being a part of the larger medical and bodily autonomy issues facing women. She could easily have said, "I understand trans people also need reproductive healthcare. However, as a woman I find these terms demeaning because I feel they reduce me to a bodily function. I hope we can find a better way to talk about these matters that respects women's personhood while still recognizing the place for trans people in this conversation." 

Archived