💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
music news

Pink Floyd is seeking $500M for music catalog

Teletubby

Featured Posts

Economy
41 minutes ago, Night Vision said:

The worth of their catalogue isn't based on what they are expected to sell in the future, though. That's not what the worth of anyone's catalogue is based on :laughga:  It's mainly based on the value of the royalties from mechanical rights, sync rights, performance royalties, etc and for a band like Pink Floyd that number will be huge.

I'm aware of that. By sell I'm including that in the question. If I thought it was just digital sales or streams I wouldn't even be asking

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Economy
13 minutes ago, androiduser said:

this is a legitimate question, it does not put their artistic merit or legendary status into question. The question is if the music has the potential to be commercially exploited to such an extent.

Yeah that's what I been trying to ask. Is their legacy going to sell $500M+ in the future? Seems like a lofty number to me but I could be totally wrong

I suppose it's also possible they don't expect anyone to actually offer that much and are asking for an inflated number as a negotiation tactic

Reject False Icons

Wow the music was so idealistic and the works of a lifetime just bought by corporations, no wonder why artists don’t give the 100% of themselves 

It feels like we are on a dystopia already, and they are the rich artists, the poor artists have a much worse future 

LaLuna

I'd say it's worth that much. Pink Floyd is the definition of legendary and influential.

Economy
28 minutes ago, Reject False Icons said:

Wow the music was so idealistic and the works of a lifetime just bought by corporations, no wonder why artists don’t give the 100% of themselves 

It feels like we are on a dystopia already, and they are the rich artists, the poor artists have a much worse future 

Isn't Pink Floyd choosing to wanna sell it tho?

Teletubby
1 hour ago, Economy said:

Yeah that's what I been trying to ask. Is their legacy going to sell $500M+ in the future? Seems like a lofty number to me but I could be totally wrong

I suppose it's also possible they don't expect anyone to actually offer that much and are asking for an inflated number as a negotiation tactic

it's not an investition for a few years but for decades, songs can be exploited for up to 70 years after a musician's death. The holder of music rights can sell songs to films, adverts, cover versions or release physical copies e.g. vinyl that are so popular now. Music sales also increase substantially after artists death.

Over the last three years, Billboard estimates the Pink Floyd master recording catalog generated about $25.3 million annually. At a 20 times multiple, that would bring in about $505 million in a sale. That estimated total doesn’t include other elements that sources say are a part of the Pink Floyd offering, like another $3 million to $4 million or so in annual merch.
source

i'm just a baby and @Juanlittlem is my ❀*·ꕤ. ☁️eternal enemy🌩️。˚❀

Economy
37 minutes ago, Teletubby said:

it's not an investition for a few years but for decades, songs can be exploited for up to 70 years after a musician's death. The holder of music rights can sell songs to films, adverts, cover versions or release physical copies e.g. vinyl that are so popular now. Music sales also increase substantially after artists death.

Over the last three years, Billboard estimates the Pink Floyd master recording catalog generated about $25.3 million annually. At a 20 times multiple, that would bring in about $505 million in a sale. That estimated total doesn’t include other elements that sources say are a part of the Pink Floyd offering, like another $3 million to $4 million or so in annual merch.
source

Is that after taxes in pure profit?

ProfessionalClown

Would’ve never expected this and 500m honestly seems like a decent price for what they’re worth, considering they’ve made some of the most critically acclaimed music of all times, two of the most acclaimed albums of all time, and are considered one of the best groups of all time. I mean the dark side of the moon ALONE would make up a lot of the 500m. 

I honestly would’ve expected maybe 750m on the big big end. 500m is very reasonable 

HardlyaSaint
5 hours ago, Economy said:

No I didn't :toofunny:

I'm wasnt asking if they are good. An underground artist can be really good. A popular artist can be sh*t... Past Critical acclaim is not that relevant to my question and it seems like ppl were giving answers based on quality and I'm not putting a number on their quality

I'm asking about worth in future sales plain and simple. As in would spending $500m to buy their catalogue pay for itself or not 

:laughga: I like how everyone in this thread forgets that your username is literally "Economy". If anybody on this site were to genuinely be curious about this and not shady, it's you. The 2-3 pages of "Yes, it is", "actually more", "uncultured swine" is so unproductive to the conversation and very much herd mentality.

HardlyaSaint
4 hours ago, Economy said:

100% a negotiation tactic and likely they won't even get 350m. Maybe 300m but who knows.

In this day and age and the with the genres that are dominating the radio the only way this would be a profitable investment anytime soon is if (mainstream) rap artists (more likely artists like Travis, Kanye, Eminem, Kendrick) were to sample their music more (or if more movies and trailers in the future decide to use their music) in future releases which is definitely a possibility considering how much they've sampled legacy artists' music in the past. 

SevenWonder

I think they'll get it. Not only is there music some of the best ever recorded, it's also very advertising friendly. Which, as we all know, is all that matters with these investment situations. 

Future Lovers
12 hours ago, Economy said:

Is their music worth that much tho?

Is the catalogue and merchandising rights of one of the most famous, best selling, present on more t-shirts than almost any music act in the history of music bands worth that much? Whoever gets their rights will be printing money hand over fist on the merchandise alone and that's before you even get to the music which currently pulls 15 million monthly spotify listeners and has put their two biggest albums (Dark Side of the Moon and The Wall) on the Billboard 200 and UK Albums chart dozens of times since their release, even some as recently as the last year. Then there's their songs being used constantly in film and television and commercials. The investment would be made back in half a decade, if not sooner. 

Helxig

They really said "we're getting old, time to cash it all in and retire in luxury"

I'll be myself until they fūcking close the coffin.

Archived