23 minutes ago, deactivated001 said:

Not y'all having no respect for one of the greatest bands of all time

VERY THIS LIKE CMON NOW

mmmy name ~isn't~ aliceee

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Alannah

There's elements in Chromatica that are a love letter to The Wall, of course Pink Floyd's music is worth $500 mil. They're one of the biggest prog rock bands of all time and one of the first to develop the concept album. :duck:

Wonder if Roger Waters is involved with this sale at all; Gilmour and a few others were claiming to drop a "Pink Floyd" single and they changed the details when they received backlash.

sillynate

Which album of theirs is the one that lines up with wall-e and the wizard of oz?

Anderson123

Well just from a quick google search I found these because I was curious to know how much are artists and bands selling their music catalogue for:

Bob Dylan (100% of his publishing catalogue to Universal Music Publishing) est. US$300-400 million. UPDATE: On January 24, 2022, Sony acquired his master recordings. That’s worth another ~US$200 million.

Neil Young (50% of his career catalogue to Hipgnosis), est. US$150 million

Imagine Dragons (everything they’ve done up until now), US$100 million

Red Hot Chili Peppers (all pre-2020 material to Hipgnosis), US$140 million.

David Guetta (catalogue to Warner Music), US$100 million.

Bruce Springsteen (300 songs, 20 studio albums, 23 live albums and more to Sony), estimated at US$500 million.

David Bowie (his entire catalogue to Warner-Chappell), US$250 million.

Sting (entire music catalogue to Universal Music Publishing), >US$300 million.

Alannah
Just now, sillynate said:

Which album of theirs is the one that lines up with wall-e and the wizard of oz?

Dark Side of the Moon! The Wizard of Oz one is called the Dark Side of Oz (or Dark Side of the Rainbow). The transition from black and white into the colorful world of Oz is really cool in time with Money. 

BBhomemaker
15 minutes ago, Rahrahbitchson said:

I thought that everybody knew this song lol

Did you exchange a walk on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?

Some have yet to discover their music (and legacy too judging from comments :sweat:) and explore different type of music, don't forget where you are.. :music: 

What have we found? ..The same old fears ..wish you were ..

Economy
14 minutes ago, Anderson123 said:

Way more than that lol I think. Just Dark Side of the Moon is considered one of the best albums of all time. 

8 minutes ago, tmo13 said:

excuse me yes it is lmao

8 minutes ago, tmo13 said:

excuse me yes it is lmao

9 minutes ago, PussOfYonce said:

so much more, especially that 26 minute "Shine on you crazy diamond" suite

I'm not asking for a critical analysis on their music I'm asking about future commercial value/sales

HotLikeMexico
5 minutes ago, Economy said:

I'm not asking for a critical analysis on their music I'm asking about future commercial value/sales

I mean you kinda did if you’re even questioning their worth. 

Night Vision
2 hours ago, Economy said:

Is their music worth that much tho?

Edit: I'm not asking for an analysis on their arts critical reception Im talking about future potential on their sales from a revenue standpoint given their old now

The answers I'm getting seem like sentimental opinions about how good their music is and that's irrelevant to what I'm asking :toofunny:

It's worth more. They are the 8th biggest selling musical act in history.

Economy
14 minutes ago, Night Vision said:

It's worth more. They are the 8th biggest selling musical act in history.

I get they've sold a lot but past numbers are past numbers... What matters to someone buying their catalogue now is how much they expect to sell in the future not what sales already occurred

That's what I'm trying to get at. How much can they realistically expect to sell going forward? $500M seems like a lofty number unless they go on tours and the owner became entitled to those earnings as well that's the only way I see this being worth it 

Economy
43 minutes ago, HotLikeMexico said:

I mean you kinda did if you’re even questioning their worth. 

No I didn't :toofunny:

I'm wasnt asking if they are good. An underground artist can be really good. A popular artist can be sh*t... Past Critical acclaim is not that relevant to my question and it seems like ppl were giving answers based on quality and I'm not putting a number on their quality

I'm asking about worth in future sales plain and simple. As in would spending $500m to buy their catalogue pay for itself or not 

ThisGuyTony

I can’t name a single one of their songs but if they think their music has that much impact to be worth half a billion dollars then good for them. :shrug: 

Night Vision
21 minutes ago, Economy said:

I get they've sold a lot but past numbers are past numbers... What matters to someone buying their catalogue now is how much they expect to sell in the future not what sales already occurred

That's what I'm trying to get at. How much can they realistically expect to sell going forward? $500M seems like a lofty number unless they go on tours and the owner became entitled to those earnings as well that's the only way I see this being worth it 

The worth of their catalogue isn't based on what they are expected to sell in the future, though. That's not what the worth of anyone's catalogue is based on :laughga:  It's mainly based on the value of the royalties from mechanical rights, sync rights, performance royalties, etc and for a band like Pink Floyd that number will be huge.

52 minutes ago, Economy said:

It looks like they are selling merchandise rights as well. I’ve seen imagery of their albums countless of times on clothes and at stores so on top of their music, it could be worth it?

androiduser
3 hours ago, Economy said:

Is their music worth that much tho?

this is a legitimate question, it does not put their artistic merit or legendary status into question. The question is if the music has the potential to be commercially exploited to such an extent.

Archived