society

Putin Refused Officials Resignation After War, Forces 3rd Term

Economy

Featured Posts

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-03-23/russia-central-banker-wanted-out-over-ukraine-but-putin-said-no

This news is a some weeks old already but it got missed and I think it's major enough to warrant a report

2880.jpg?width=1200&height=900&quality=8

Aparently Central Bank Head Elvira Nebulina (who was also Putin's personal economic advisor and before that economy minister and worked close with Putin since the year 2000) tried to resign immediately after Putin invaded Ukraine tho she never confirmed the war was the reason she tried to resign

Putin Refused her resignation and forced her into a 3rd term as the head of the Central Bank of Russia

Nebulina for months has made subtle public contradictory remarks on tv conferences to what Putin says especially when it relates to the economy

Elvira Nebulina has worked closely with Putin as a high member for 22 years now, always in roles related to economy or National Monetary policy

Edited by Economy
More clear title
  • Shook 1
  • Sad 4
  • Economy changed the title to Putin Refused Officials Resignation After War, Forces 3rd Term
StarstruckIllusion

Yikes… that’s absolutely terrifying, but… how exactly does forcing to do someone a job work? Would they kill her if she literally just stopped doing work or?

HermioneT

She sounds like a fierce woman  - I hope she gets safely and well through these times. Also kind of hope that Putin made a mistake in going against her will and still leave here in a place of at least some sort of power:pray:

She / hers
2 hours ago, StarstruckIllusion said:

Yikes… that’s absolutely terrifying, but… how exactly does forcing to do someone a job work? Would they kill her if she literally just stopped doing work or?

I don't know. I guess shes not allowed to quit? She's considered extremely experienced and competent maybe Putin doesn't wanna loose someone with over 20 years of economic leadership experience

Not to mention a resignation right after war would send a message that officials aren't supporting Putin and so he probably did not accept or allow it for that reason also

Edited by Economy
2 hours ago, HermioneT said:

She sounds like a fierce woman  - I hope she gets safely and well through these times. Also kind of hope that Putin made a mistake in going against her will and still leave here in a place of at least some sort of power:pray:

She seems to be. She's been making it very clear without saying it directly she doesn't like what's going on I am very surprised that Putin hasn't done anything so far given how high up she is in managing Russia and how often she talks to the media...

@StarstruckIllusion a quote from article:

"Nabiullina, favored by investors and hailed by publications including Euromoney and The Banker as one of the world’s best monetary policymakers, now faces a wartime economy isolated by international sanctions and starved for investment as foreign companies leave. "

-----------------

In addition to looking bad publicly as a lack of support to Putin if she left right after war started, Putin may want to do everything he can to re-assure Russia's markets and investors. If Investors have that much comfort and confidence in her, that may be another reason to keep her there

And if Russia falls apart maybe he plans to use her as a scape goat. He can be like "She managed economic affairs and monetary policy for so long, it's her fault"

Edited by Economy
  • Like 1