science

Mythical Illyrian city may have been discovered in Albania

FfFfFfFF

Featured Posts

FfFfFfFF

Illyrian_Tribes_(English).svg

Polish archaeologists may have discovered the 2,000-year-old lost city of Bassania in Albania.

The remains of two large ancient stone structures on the top of a hill near Shkodër in Albania have been discovered by archaeologists from the University of Warsaw. Until a few years ago, it was thought that only natural rock outliers existed there.

Photo-M.-Lemke-min.pnglost-2000-year-old-ancient-city-of-BassaHill-next-to-Bushat-village-min.jpeg

According to the researchers, it is probably Bassania – a city described by the Roman historian Livy (59 BC-AD 17) in the context of the battles of Roman troops with the last king of Illyria, Gentius.

This fortified city was located between two important ancient centers in the former Illyrian (now Albania) – the Illyrian capital of Shkodra and the Greek city of Lissos. It might be Bassania, but archaeologists are still looking for convincing evidence to support this thesis.

Bassania-min.png

Source- https://arkeonews.net/archaeologists-may-have-found-the-lost-2000-year-old-ancient-city-of-bassania-in-albania/ 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Shook 3
FfFfFfFF
1 hour ago, Economy said:

Looks more like it was a small village :enigma:

Naturally, all Ancient settlements in Europe used to be small. Now Europe has a population of 750M people, but there were points in time when Europe's population used to be numbered in the thousands. 

This is the approximate size of the first proto-urban communities in Europe - they belonged to the Cucuteni-Tropolye culture and are much older than the first real cities from Mesopotamia.

0001-800x386.jpg

The old city of Israel is also less than 1 square kms:

Map_of_Jerusalem_-_the_old_city_-_EN.png

Edited by FfFfFfFF
  • Like 1
48 minutes ago, FfFfFfFF said:

Naturally, all Ancient settlements in Europe used to be small. Now Europe has a population of 750M people, but there were points in time when Europe's population used to be numbered in the thousands. 

This is the approximate size of the first proto-urban communities in Europe - they belonged to the Cucuteni-Tropolye culture and are much older than the first real cities from Mesopotamia.

0001-800x386.jpg

The old city of Israel is also less than 1 square kms:

Map_of_Jerusalem_-_the_old_city_-_EN.png

I knew they were much smaller but that literally looked like 4 building spots :laughga:

I presume a lot of the city no longer leaves a mark and that's just a part that we see?

holy scheisse

so interesting to see ancient architecture remnants

even back then they had the concept of geometry

like how did they even mold those stones into straight ass lines/right angles 

FfFfFfFF
21 minutes ago, Economy said:

I knew they were much smaller but that literally looked like 4 building spots :laughga:

I presume a lot of the city no longer leaves a mark and that's just a part that we see?

I have honestly have no idea.. the city needs to have some kind of fortifications as its external limits and it shouldn't be much bigger than the hill. Where I live there are the remains of a Dacian fortress and it's super small, like a small village like you say. 

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, FfFfFfFF said:

I have honestly have no idea.. the city needs to have some kind of fortifications as its external limits and it shouldn't be much bigger than the hill. Where I live there are the remains of a Dacian fortress and it's super small, like a small village like you say. 

It just feels so odd to refer to that as a city :bear:

• Like 1

The Illyrians are thought the be the ancestors of modern-day Albanians, in other words this settlement might very well be the hometown of Dua Lipa's great-great[...]grand parents. :vegas: