new music

Beyoncé - Break My Soul

Teletubby

Featured Posts

• Replies 568
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Charmz

Lots of folks on twitter and TikTok making the Gaga comparisons.  :oops: Lots of love for the song too! 

Gaga has dominated dance in the last 10 or more years in our collective consciousness, it’s not hard to draw a comparison when Beyoncé’s new song really does have those same house/90’s/ballroom elements that distinguish Chromatica from Gaga’s earlier work.

The song is fun, the Gaga comparison is fair. Move on.

Always & Forever, 🧚🏻‍♂️🦉CHARMZ🦉🧚🏻‍♂️

Ziggy
5 minutes ago, Mr Mendes said:

No but seriously, it's not cute to come in here and say "she's doing a Gaga era" honestly. Gaga is not the only person who has made a house inspired album, and she certainly didn't make a deep house record like this song is. This is a genre that has been wrestled away from the community that created it, just as rock n roll was. Now a prominent artist of that community is coming to claim it back as much as she can and to chalk that up to her following the lead of another artist really minimizes that. 

I doubt seriously she is taking a cue from Chromatica, especially considering that the only 2 songs from Chromatica that found true success are the least house oriented tracks on the album. She has clearly chosen this genre because she cares about the history of it and the context it now has given what has happened in the US in the last few years. Her sampling other prominent names of the black community who have been working hard in this space is not an accident. 

And let’s also call it what it is…she’s done every other genre basically at this point :laughga:

3l3ctrar3x
3 minutes ago, Charmz said:

Lots of folks on twitter and TikTok making the Gaga comparisons. :oops: Lots of love for the song too! 

Gaga has dominated dance in the last 10 or more years in our collective consciousness, it’s not hard to draw a comparison when Beyoncé’s new song really does have those same house/90’s/ballroom elements that distinguish Chromatica from Gaga’s earlier work.

The song is fun, the Gaga comparison is fair. Move on.

It really isn’t fair though. All of the elements from Chromatica were taken from old school house music, which came from black queer artists in that scene. 

monstertoronto

That beat really sounds a bit like “Show me Love” that Charli sampled. It’s an okay song but it’s very repetitive. Maybe it will grow on me. 

1 hour ago, thatfoxyfeeling said:

I love the production just find the lyrics and chorus kinda weak, “you won’t break my soul” could’ve been a catchier hook. I can’t wait for the album though. 

I immediately thought Sia wrote it cuz of that  line

checkout my channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5iGoXYpXnIfLHH1o7H9lxA

Ziggy
32 minutes ago, HIM820 said:

It’s not delusional to say that she saw a resurgence of dance music and wanted to make her own dance record. That’s not rude or demeaning to her or her true inspiration. In the past two years there have been dance albums released that were popular and dominant on the charts. That will change your perspective on where you think your fans want to go with your music. If you want them dancing in the clubs, you have to make records for the clubs. 

Now, it is stupid is to say she was directly inspired by Gaga, Dua, or anyone else recently. Do I think she’s following a trend? 100% but that shouldn’t be an insult. I’m thankful more artists are following it and we are getting a wave of dance/disco music, which historically has been attacked by misogynistic, homophobic and racist men. 

I also see it as like…where does she go after lemonade? Artistically, she kinda hit the peak of what her brand had been about up to that point even from the DC days. So I think it takes time to think about where do you go next? In her case, to celebration and what music does that? Well…

the lines draw themselves imo

monstertoronto
16 minutes ago, Teletubby said:

But TTH isn’t a chart with a #1 position. It’s a promo list. I imagine getting the top spot is negotiated not based on user demand. 

Charmz
1 minute ago, 3l3ctrar3x said:

It really isn’t fair though. All of the elements from Chromatica were taken from old school house music, which came from black queer artists in that scene. 

The comparison of THIS Beyoncé song to Chromatica is fair. 

Because both Chromatica and THIS new Beyoncé song has the elements that you refer to.

The comparison is valid, they sound very very similar (because they use the same influence).

Always & Forever, 🧚🏻‍♂️🦉CHARMZ🦉🧚🏻‍♂️

AURAOFSHEISSE

tbh I don't think the Gaga comparisons make sense , Chromatica is barely house compared to this, this is pure house and I think Bey will dominate and go the extra mile in areas Gaga didn't house music wise. Glad to see Bey experimenting with one of my favorite genres tho:excited:

“Hands on your knees, I’m Angelina Jolie”

11 minutes ago, franminervini said:

Such a diva

Onfgggg

checkout my channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5iGoXYpXnIfLHH1o7H9lxA

Fanta
7 minutes ago, Staryu17 said:

It's sad though that we cant give Gaga her props for trying to address and use her platform towards more serious issues during that year. 

That should be the main priority, not Chromatica promo during a global pandemic.

C'mon!

Oh please, let’s stop the martyrdom forcing and be objectively honest. Not one single person has implied that her selfless use of her platforms was an issue or a point in this discussion. If anything, it’s distasteful to bring it up as some sort of ploy to shut down any (constructive and respectful) criticism regarding Gaga’s album rollouts.

This is strictly to do with her musical eras and creative output - and my point and perspective still remains. 

AURAOFSHEISSE
1 minute ago, Charmz said:

Because both Chromatica and THIS new Beyoncé song has the elements that you refer to.

The comparison is valid, they sound very very similar (because they use the same influence).

how? the house flair is obvious in Chromatica but it was watered down with pop, BMS is deep house like authentic 80s house, I honestly don't think the Gaga comparisons are justified

“Hands on your knees, I’m Angelina Jolie”

Fanta
1 minute ago, Charmz said:

Personally I feel like I would’ve made the comparisons more so in regards to her recent all pink photo shoot with similar Chromatica aesthetics, and a (not verbatim) quote about uniting people on the dance floor - that more than anything was giving I’ll copy your homework and change it a little than the single.

The song is very standard 90s house, if anything she rode the recent trend while ‘borrowing’ the aesthetics for herself lol.

Archived