MARRY THE NIGHT ANNIVERSARY T-SHIRT

society

Photographer captures the microscopic world of plankton in 'stunning'detail

Featured Posts

FfFfFfFF

20200727_9265.jpg?w=1280&h=855 

20200505_190128_0001_05.jpg?w=636&h=425From brilliantly colored blobs to miniature monsters adorned with tentacles and gigantic eyes, every drop of H2O, be it freshwater or seawater, hums with microscopic life most of us have never seen.

For the past three years, Dutch filmmaker and photographer Jan Van IJken has made it his goal to illuminate the beauty of this unseen world.

20181214_132845_0001.jpg?w=636&h=428Van IJken has traveled throughout the Netherlands, swishing his plankton-collecting net through various bodies of water and then using time-lapse photography or video to capture the tiny treasures on microscope slides.

“Plankton is so incredibly diverse and incredibly abundant,” says Van IJken. “Every time I throw my net, I can work for weeks on what I find.” 

Technically, any animal that is free-floating—and therefore can’t control its own trajectory—is considered plankton, which translates to “drifter” or “wanderer” in ancient Greek.d2bbef1390cc16737b53af24390aec30.jpg That means plankton can be as small as a single-celled organism the size of a white blood cell or as big as a lion’s mane jellyfish, which can reach 120 feet in length. 

There’s a reason why plankton need some good PR: They’re crucial to the health of our ecosystems, experts say. Via photosynthesis, plankton churn out as much oxygen as all the plants on Earth combined.

“About 50 percent of the oxygen we breathe is produced by phytoplankton,” says Marianne Wootton, senior plankton analyst at the Marine Biological Association in the United Kingdom. “So, every other breath is a plankton breath.”

%E2%80%98Planktonium-is-a-Photo-Series-A

Source:  https://www.nationalgeographic.com/animals/article/microscopic-plankton-revealed-in-stunning-detail

Edited by FfFfFfFF
  • Like 3
  • Love 17
Pennywise

Such skinny legends.... :tony:

YOUR GOD IS NOT HERE MICHAEL NOR WILL HE EVER BE
  • Like 1
  • LMAO 3
  • YAAAS 2
ConnorFilm

Nickelodeon Nick GIF by SpongeBob SquarePantsSlay queens 

Twitter: @ConnorBehrens/Instagram: @ConnorBehrens
  • LMAO 1
RAMROD

Wy is it not green and bean lyk? 👁️👄👁️

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ✧*:・゚ You Can Drop The Attitude (*´艸`*) ♡♡♡
  • LMAO 3
Fresco

Ok, I love that they make all that oxygen, and they look weird. 

VTV

CBT costume leak

checkout my channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5iGoXYpXnIfLHH1o7H9lxA
  • YAAAS 2
Sneaky Oliver

It’s honestly amazing how modern cameras can capture such small things! We’re able to see what many generations couldn’t! 

They look very alien-ish which’s funny because we don’t usually view those “deep oceans” creatures as common animals as they should 

is it spiritual enlightenment or am I just over everything?
FfFfFfFF
13 hours ago, VTV said:

CBT costume leak

They're the Enigma ones

7c42b96d931d5e9c6af79369b974a7a4.jpg

• YAAAS 2
Reginald

Seeing how beautiful and intricate the microscopic world is always makes me wonder :enigma: if we're just a drop of water in someone else's ocean 

Turtles all the way down :enigma: 

Brolysskins
1 hour ago, Reginald said:

Seeing how beautiful and intricate the microscopic world is always makes me wonder :enigma: if we're just a drop of water in someone else's ocean 

Turtles all the way down :enigma: 

I've thought about this too! My mind goes x10000 when thinking of these things lol

• Love 1

Just think. Whenever u drink water there's microscopic stuff like that in it (even if it's dead cuz of water treatments) :ladyhaha:

I'm assuming freshwater has their own version of these microbes :enigma:

Edited by Economy