💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
celeb

Dua Lipa hires Katy Perry lawyer to handle ‘Levitating’ lawsuits

Teletubby

Featured Posts

Admin
1 hour ago, Guillaume Hamon said:

I mean even if it was only available on some small SoundCloud it's still possible it was copied.

If anything, copying obscure acts makes it easier to claim you never heard about them and boost your chances that, at worst, they'll settle with you since they can't pay all the legal fees for long ass trials.

Anything is possible. I could record the most basic melody right now, put in on SoundCloud, and wait until someone releases a song that sounds similar (which happens all the time) and say they copied it.

Watch this video, it sums up this “lawsuit” nicely.

TasteLikeWhiskey
8 hours ago, ssslyboy said:

And I go back to what I said when this lawsuit first surfaced: why did the lawsuit appear only after the song became the biggest smash of 2021?  Why didn't they bring the lawsuit when album was released, or at latest once she started to have other hits from the album and the album became huge?  

Do you understand how damages in a copyright infringement suit works? If you did, you would be able to think of a very obvious reason why copyright infringement disputes are usually started only when the infringer's work generates considerable revenue. 

If you do understand what the remedy for a successful copyright infringement dispute is, can you please explain why you think the timing of serving summons is relevant to the merits of such a dispute? 

I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong

TasteLikeWhiskey
8 minutes ago, Admin said:

Anything is possible. I could record the most basic melody right now, put in on SoundCloud, and wait until someone releases a song that sounds similar (which happens all the time) and say they copied it.

Watch this video, it sums up this “lawsuit” nicely.

I am sorry, but this is a bit misleading. This is not how copyright protection works. 

If you just compose a very basic melody that anyone could have done, you will struggle to show that your work deserves protection in the first place. 

Admin
35 minutes ago, TasteLikeWhiskey said:

I am sorry, but this is a bit misleading. This is not how copyright protection works. 

If you just compose a very basic melody that anyone could have done, you will struggle to show that your work deserves protection in the first place. 

That’s exactly what happened with the Dua case. The songs do sound very similar, but both songs have a very basic melody, a very basic rhythm, and a very basic chord progression. 

You should watch the video I linked. Not for the opinion, but for the court documents that show that the band’s entire case is pretty much “look, the songs sound similar and we made it ours first!” They didn’t even bother to include any music theory or any expert analysis to back up their claim.

Also, ironically, the producer of “Levitating” actually released a podcast episode back in 2020 that detailed the making of the song, and even shared voice notes of Dua and Sarah Hudson writing the track. 

TasteLikeWhiskey
1 hour ago, Admin said:

That’s exactly what happened with the Dua case. The songs do sound very similar, but both songs have a very basic melody, a very basic rhythm, and a very basic chord progression. 

You should watch the video I linked. Not for the opinion, but for the court documents that show that the band’s entire case is pretty much “look, the songs sound similar and we made it ours first!” They didn’t even bother to include any music theory or any expert analysis to back up their claim.

Also, ironically, the producer of “Levitating” actually released a podcast episode back in 2020 that detailed the making of the song, and even shared voice notes of Dua and Sarah Hudson writing the track. 

The video is indeed informative. There are clearly some gaps in the allegations made. 

The importance placed on expert opinions in these cases is being exaggerated, though. I think a quote from a judgment in the US best explains the preferable legal position:

"The plaintiff’s legally protected interest is not, as such, his reputation as a musician but his interest in the potential financial returns from his compositions which derive from the lay public’s approbation of his efforts.......Expert testimony of musicians may also be received, but it should be utilized only to assist in determining the reactions of lay auditors. The impression made on the refined ears of musical experts or their views as to the musical excellence of plaintiff’s or defendant’s works are utterly immaterial on the issue of misappropriation; for the views of such persons are caviar to the general — and plaintiff’s and defendant’s compositions are not caviar."

The lack of expert opinion or reliance on a musical theory at this point is therefore not such a glaring indication of malice as people is making it out to be. 

Archived