Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

the harry "queerbating" slander is RIDICULOUS

qoqo

Featured Posts

qoqo

i'm not the biggest harry styles fan, but i must voice my opinion on this because its not just for defending harry, its for bringing queer acceptance forward i believe (as a gay guy myself).

people on here almost seem to accuse harry of "appropriating gay culture" without declaring he's part of the lgbtq+ community, and i feel like its EXTREMELY harmful. i think it's a major problem when gays gatekeep things like dressing a certain way (using nail polish, putting on androgynous looks etc.) and supposedly alluding to same-sex attraction. it's solidifying the exact things we want to change in today's society - the attribution of certain behaviors and life styles to gay people only, further maintaining fragile masculinity and prejudice against gays. and waving the lgbtq+ flag in concerts? what, we can't have allies now, regardless of their sexual orientation?

we need to celebrate the fact mainstream artists like harry help fighting heteronormativity in any way, straight cis men even more so. i'm not saying he's straight (and he doesn't owe us any statements regarding that), i'm just saying that even if he is, we are lucky to have him.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Concertaholic

I don’t think he queerbaits. His choices are mostly aimed at appealing to his female fan base.

Now this one on the other hand…

Thats Hilarious GIF by Charlie Puth

CooterFritter

These days people are trying to grab any queerness they can and a lot of that is inauthentic. It’s normal to question someone’s authenticity when it’s commodified like it is. 

But I think Harry has done things for us  y progressing queerness in a way. And he’s not letting go of that so it seems more authentic in my opinion.

qoqo
2 minutes ago, CooterFritter said:

These days people are trying to grab any queerness they can and a lot of that is inauthentic. It’s normal to question someone’s authenticity when it’s commodified like it is. 

But I think Harry has done things for us  y progressing queerness in a way. And he’s not letting go of that so it seems more authentic in my opinion.

that’s exactly what I’m trying to say, that questioning someone’s authenticity on the sole basis of them not coming out as gay or not being gay at all is dangerous to us

NATAH

but why is it so hard for him to say "i'm ____ and it's not big deal"? for someone who believes so heavily about acceptance and progession... why is it such a hard question? :samanthac:

because he does the bare minimum in fighting heteronormativity so that he still appeals to a heteronormative audience whilst borrowing from queer culture and this constant mystery will one day make a big selling headline when he needs it

stream Harry's House anyway cus this man is TALENTED :giveup:

mother, what must i do?

qoqo
2 minutes ago, NATAH said:

but why is it so hard for him to say "i'm ____ and it's not big deal"? for someone who believes so heavily about acceptance and progession... why is it such a hard question? :samanthac:

because he does the bare minimum in fighting heteronormativity so that he still appeals to a heteronormative audience whilst borrowing from queer culture and this constant mystery will one day make a big selling headline when he needs it

what does someone’s sexual orientation has to do with his artistry? Or with anything? I don’t get why someone has to be full-on gay for us to “allow” him to borrow from queer culture

i won’t be surprised if he’s straight and is afraid to say that so that he won’t get backlash for “cultural appropriation”

elijahfan

Couldn't have said it better. Also, his main audience is young girls - in what world would Harry queerbating be considered a career advancement? This is literally the riskiest thing to do for someone like him.

NATAH
1 minute ago, qoqo said:

what does someone’s sexual orientation has to do with his artistry?

because he's made it a part of his image and message, the thing he's selling as a pop star

no one is saying he needs to be gay but his authenticity is questionable. he still wants to appeal to teen girls and won't go any further than wearing horrible knitwear and painting his nails :yennefer: 

mother, what must i do?

HIM820
11 minutes ago, NATAH said:

Is he still appealing to a heteronormative audience in general? Maybe a majority of his female fans, but every time I’m on social media, every reply under a tweet about him has people calling him f*g, trans, etc. I don’t think he is appealing to them whatsoever.

NATAH
Just now, HIM820 said:

don’t mean to be rude but is he still appealing to a heteronormative audience in general? Maybe a majority of his female fans, but every time I’m on social media, every reply under a tweet about him has people calling him f*g, trans, etc. I don’t think he is appealing to them whatsoever.

considering he's still smashing the charts, yes :laughga:

mother, what must i do?

River

Every shirtless dancer in a female singer music video is a queerbait too.

Some people are just annoyed that he's a male singer, there's a strong hate against male singers in some of the gays.

Harry, even as a cisgender, has the right to explore sexuality through his music. period.

Je ne parle pas français but I can padam if you like

HIM820
Just now, NATAH said:

considering he's still smashing the charts, yes :laughga:

But what exactly would he gain from being pushed into saying “I’m ____, and it’s not a big deal” ? He’d still be a f*g or trans to those people, and he’d still have the same fans… so what now? 

I’m starting to think this is why we don’t have the main Pop guys you all want. They are afraid to be allies because of the weird gays who insist on either outing people or forcing them to out themselves. It’s honestly really weird and creepy to me. 

Chlorine Sevigny
13 minutes ago, NATAH said:

I said something similar in a different thread. It doesn't matter what his sexuality is, but that he keeps it hidden is very suspect to me. If he's an ally, great, if he's part of the LGBTQIA, great. But the fact he won't say is strange, when what we really need are out and proud people like Lil Nas X. That makes the most difference. 

What Harry's doing is not much different from the Rainbow-Washing corporations do. Lots of vagueness and using visual cues as "support"....

• PartySick locked this topic

Archived