💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

the harry "queerbating" slander is RIDICULOUS

qoqo

Featured Posts

NATAH
Just now, HIM820 said:

But what exactly would he gain from being pushed into saying “I’m ____, and it’s not a big deal” ? He’d still be a f*g or trans to those people, and he’d still have the same fans… so what now? 

I’m starting to think this is why we don’t have the main Pop guys you all want. They are afraid to be allies because of the weird gays who insist on either outing people or forcing them to out themselves. It’s honestly really weird and creepy to me. 

then threads like this will stop being made :samanthac:

i mean, i still love his music and i have all his CDs... i'm not saying he needs to be boycotted or cancelled but the inauthenticity rubs me the wrong way. kinda like how Joanne wouldn't commit to being a rock/country album because it still needed to make money, a dumb comparison but that's just me :poot: 

mother, what must i do?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
NATAH
2 minutes ago, Frank Potion said:

I said something similar in a different thread. It doesn't matter what his sexuality is, but that he keeps it hidden is very suspect to me. If he's an ally, great, if he's part of the LGBTQIA, great. But the fact he won't say is strange, when what we really need are out and proud people like Lil Nas X. That makes the most difference. 

What Harry's doing is not much different from the Rainbow-Washing corporations do. Lots of vagueness and using visual cues as "support"....

exactly, for all we know it might be some high up executive that's stopping him from being open about this so he doesn't eliminate his female fanbase :shrug:

mother, what must i do?

Chlorine Sevigny
1 minute ago, NATAH said:

exactly, for all we know it might be some high up executive that's stopping him from being open about this so he doesn't eliminate his female fanbase :shrug:

The only thing I can think of... is that he actually hasn't figured his sexuality out/is still exploring it and to "declare" something would be... disingenuous. But still, I think he could even be straightforward about that. That's fine too... that visibility is important too. 

BBhomemaker

It’s about respect and truth, you can’t wear the rainbow for all the beautiful part of it and let the dark, depressing, scary, ugly that comes with being gay aside. We don’t choose what we like and what we don’t take.

As long as the word “gay” will be seen as shameful then we can’t just close our eyes on the importance of owning it. 

qoqo
1 minute ago, BBhomemaker said:

It’s about respect, you can’t wear the rainbow with for all the beautiful part of it and let the dark, depressing, scary, ugly that comes with being gay. We don’t choose what we like and what we don’t take.

As long as the word “gay” will be seen as shameful then we can’t just close our eyes on the importance of owning it. 

1. artists are fully entitled to choosing what to expose about themselves and what not, it shouldn’t make the exposed parts seem inauthentic

2 he literally could be not-gay?? And then he has nothing to own, or he could be exploring

why can’t he show other types of masculinity without yet knowing/sharing exactly what his sexual preferences are?

HIM820
16 minutes ago, Frank Potion said:

What Harry's doing is not much different from the Rainbow-Washing corporations do. Lots of vagueness and using visual cues as "support"....

This is what I find wrong with this argument. A human being is not the same as a corporation using marketing tools to make money and it’s sad we have to think that way. I’m not blaming you for it though, because we’ve been trained to think of artists or celebrities like that. Interesting how we give pop girls passes for this all the time though. 

This is reminding me of that twisted vulture reporter who was obsessed with trying to out Anderson Cooper (a journalist that travels to countries where it is dangerous to be openly gay) and then ended up outing Lee Pace. It was disgusting and I’ll never respect any gay person who does that. They are deeply sad and jealous people.

Butters Stotch
52 minutes ago, Concertaholic said:

I don’t think he queerbaits. His choices are mostly aimed at appealing to his female fan base.

Now this one on the other hand…

Thats Hilarious GIF by Charlie Puth

This isn't queerbating either. People need to stop with this narrative.

Men can be sexy and provocative too. It doesn't mean they are queerbaiting. Imagine if everytime a woman posted sexy pictures on social media you said it's aimed to lesbian/bisexual women... it's embarrasing.

FIND YOUR FREEDOM IN THE MUSIC

BBhomemaker
4 minutes ago, qoqo said:

1. artists are fully entitled to choosing what to expose about themselves and what not, it shouldn’t make the exposed parts seem inauthentic

2 he literally could be not-gay?? And then he has nothing to own, or he could be exploring

why can’t he show other types of masculinity without yet knowing/sharing exactly what his sexual preferences are?

Then be clear with your public and we will avoid those type of debate. But he knows how to play with it, he feeds the medias, keep bringing the subject and it benefits him.

Chlorine Sevigny
1 minute ago, HIM820 said:

This is what I find wrong with this argument. A human being is not the same as a corporation using marketing tools to make money and it’s sad we have to think that way. I’m not blaming you for it though, because we’ve been trained to think of artists or celebrities like that. Interesting how we give pop girls passes for this all the time though. 

A pop star is not dissimilar to a corporation. They represent a business. Everything they put out to the public can influence the profit they make for their record labels etc. 

Women are much more likely to be allies than straight men. Which is another reason Harry being forthright could change that perception, if he is indeed straight. 

RichAssPiss

I honestly don't understand what part of his public image is queer baiting. Beaides the lightly sexual sweaty dancing against men in "Lights Up," he doesn't present same-sex attraction much in his publicity at all. The fact that people want to make nail polish and dresses a queer only characteristic is really not his problem. It seems like people want to read into his every gesture and then hold him responsible for their determination that every lyric or outfit is some form of coming out, when it isn't. 

HIM820
4 minutes ago, Frank Potion said:

A pop star is not dissimilar to a corporation. They represent a business. Everything they put out to the public can influence the profit they make for their record labels etc. 

Women are much more likely to be allies than straight men. Which is another reason Harry being forthright could change that perception, if he is indeed straight. 

It’s really sad you think that way. Fame has warped our sense of morals and privacy and it’s just been steadily getting worse. 

Years of lyrically ambiguous bisexuality and lesbianism coming from female pop stars who either never come out or straight up say they ARENT gay proves otherwise. 

I actually find all of this troubling because if I heard straight people using these arguments I’d assume they are homophobic or casting stereotypical attributions to “gayness” which is why so many regular people DONT come out. 

PartySick
28 minutes ago, NATAH said:

because he's made it a part of his image and message, the thing he's selling as a pop star

no one is saying he needs to be gay but his authenticity is questionable. he still wants to appeal to teen girls and won't go any further than wearing horrible knitwear and painting his nails :yennefer: 

Is androgyny owned by the gays though? :oprah:

Michael Jackson, Prince, David Bowie, plenty of older rock stars, they all had "gender-bent" looks or embraced an androgynous style. It's about the freedom of expression. Men's style is usually so drab and limited, we should celebrate the men who step outside the norm and inject a little femininity into their image.

I fear what some people are accusing him of "appropriating" isn't something that's really owned by the gay community at all. Sequin tops, nail polish, sensitivity, we don't have a claim on these things :partysick:

And yes I chose you to quote 'cause I know if you respond I'll get a good answer :flower:

I can't believe I still haven't sat down and listened to his album :bradley: flop fan :bradley:

🖤

PartySick

As far as the people who don't like that he keeps his sexuality to himself...I mean, what more can be said? That's his business, not ours :laughga:

🖤

Butters Stotch

A huge part of the gay community wants everyone to live unapologetically and be free, but as soon as a straight man is free and tries to be sexually provocative, they call it queerbating. Stop with this hypocrisy.

FIND YOUR FREEDOM IN THE MUSIC

Chlorine Sevigny
5 minutes ago, HIM820 said:

It’s really sad you think that way. Fame has warped our sense of morals and privacy and it’s just been steadily getting worse. 

Years of lyrically ambiguous bisexuality and lesbianism coming from female pop stars who either never come out or straight up say they ARENT gay proves otherwise. 

I actually find all of this troubling because if I heard straight people using these arguments I’d assume they are homophobic or casting stereotypical attributions to “gayness” which is why so many regular people DONT come out. 

I don't agree with you at all. Moving on. 

• PartySick locked this topic

Archived