Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Artists being forced to make TikTok

Lighter

Featured Posts

HIM820

I don’t think some of you realize that it’s not as simple as doing 10 TikToks a week. The labels don’t want any video, they want what is specifically the standard on TikTok. That standard is set by people who spend hours making these. Why would someone who creates music for a living, want to add on top of that spending time on an attention grab that will maybe last for a month tops? Also MOST of these artists have some form of a social media manager, or someone at the label who handles it, but because TikToks are vids they can’t really write and record those for them. I love social media for all it’s done to amplify voices and connect communities across the world, but god I really think it’s doing harm to so much culture and clear thoughtful thinking. So much stock is put into it like the value of followers is a ticket to a good future, when proof says it’s not. 

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Chromatography

imagine complaining having to make a 30 second video. i love charli and twigs, but god damn. 

NATAH
11 minutes ago, Chromatography said:

imagine complaining having to make a 30 second video. i love charli and twigs, but god damn. 

i mean it's obviously more than just making a 30 second video if they're complaining about it

mother, what must i do?

pussycat

'thats the carreer u chose' 'its part of the job' is bullshet. Making music has nothing to do with social media. It's unfortunate enough that it is such an important part in relevancy and sales but that attitude is even more unfortunate imo

SevenAteNine
3 hours ago, NATAH said:

doing something you really don't want to do again and again with no break in between can be mentally taxing

100% this is probably the only time ive agreed with you, but you know what they say, theres a first for everything 

RIP 9.

Chromatography
23 minutes ago, NATAH said:

i mean it's obviously more than just making a 30 second video if they're complaining about it

i have a really hard time reconciling with the idea that making a video for tik tok is that taxing and difficult. people complain about minor and trivial sh!t all the time, that’s not really a defense.

NATAH
Just now, Chromatography said:

i have a really hard time reconciling with the idea that making a video for tik tok is that taxing and difficult. people complain about minor and trivial sh!t all the time, that’s not really a defense.

because it's probably the pressure from the label for them to go viral that's taxing and difficult, making you feel like your abilities and craft aren't good enough cus the execs want 500k+ likes every week :yennefer:

as i said on page 1, doing something you really dislike again and again is mentally draining... not that hard to have sympathy for them

mother, what must i do?

NATAH
17 minutes ago, pussycat said:

'thats the carreer u chose' 'its part of the job' is bullshet. Making music has nothing to do with social media. It's unfortunate enough that it is such an important part in relevancy and sales but that attitude is even more unfortunate imo

exactly, twigs and charli debuted and have been around years before tiktok gained influence

mother, what must i do?

HotLikeMexico
20 minutes ago, NATAH said:

because it's probably the pressure from the label for them to go viral that's taxing and difficult, making you feel like your abilities and craft aren't good enough cus the execs want 500k+ likes every week :yennefer:

as i said on page 1, doing something you really dislike again and again is mentally draining... not that hard to have sympathy for them

They are richer than all of us. I don’t feel the least bit sorry. Especially since they signed contracts. It’s the life the chose so they gotta commit. 

NATAH
1 minute ago, HotLikeMexico said:

It’s the life the chose so they gotta commit. 

even tho they debuted before tiktok :yennefer:

mother, what must i do?

Chromatography
28 minutes ago, NATAH said:

when people are suffering to make ends meet with a 9-5 job, yeah, i don’t really have any sympathy for people who complain about making a short tik tok video, which from a lot of them, are just videos of them complaining about making videos. yeah, i don’t really have sympathy for rich people complaining about rich people problems. 

Chromatography
48 minutes ago, pussycat said:

social media and the music industry have been intertwined for over a decade now. it’s nothing new

NATAH
1 minute ago, Chromatography said:

when people are suffering to make ends meet with a 9-5 job, yeah, i don’t really have any sympathy for people who complain about making a short tik tok video, which from a lot of them, are just videos of them complaining about making videos. yeah, i don’t really have sympathy for rich people complaining about rich people problems. 

i mean i get that, i can agree to that but i see it as these artists that give us music that we love but if they hate it so much and end up retiring...

mother, what must i do?

HotLikeMexico
20 minutes ago, NATAH said:

even tho they debuted before tiktok :yennefer:

Times change :yennefer:

RabbitHeart

I wouldn't think of it as "hard work" necessarily but I get why it's annoying. Like, being forced to make Tik Toks feels so devoid of artistry. If you're in the industry because you're passionate about your art (which I feel twigs and charli are) trying to pander to Tik Tok audiences probably feels so at odds with that.

Archived