About TCB Spoilers... PLEASE do not put spoilers in thread titles as we have some users wishing to remain spoiler free. Please show kindness and respect. Thank you! ×

MARRY THE NIGHT ANNIVERSARY T-SHIRT

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
politics

Russia will respond to Finland with ”surprise”

Featured Posts

The Fame Monster

Finland has been part of the EU since 1995. After Finland and Sweden have been accepted as NATO members, only four EU countries remain outside the NATO alliance, whereas 21 EU countries are already NATO members. Since Russia started the war against Ukraine and could not be trusted no longer, therefore applying to NATO was a natural step to strengthen the defence of Finland and Sweden. Do not forget that Finland and Sweden have already been the closest possible partners of NATO without being a member state. Russia knows this too. For Finland, of course, there are risks in applying NATO membership but in my opinion there are greater risks in not applying. Russia’s actions forced Finland to decide its side and it chose NATO.

For now, it is clear that Russia does not have the strength to start new wars, as it is already struggling in Ukraine. Russia has been planning and preparing this war for a long time and I don’t think they are willing or capable to start any new ones without years of planning. Right now, it looks like the war in Ukraine will last for a while, unfortunately. For Russia, having more than one battles at the same time would mean huge losses for them. After Ukraine, they need years to recover. And that will be harder now when they have been isolated.

• Like 2
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LoliLux

• FfFfFfFF

• PartySick

• Gov Hooka

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Finland seems to have learned nothing what happens with countries that want to join NATO and border Russia and will soon face the same fate as them, I hope someone sues the politicians who opted for p

Wow, probably the most uniformed post I have read today. Russia didn’t invade Ukraine because of NATO… Jesus. Do you also think Ukraine is insalving their citizens because they are all Nazis?

You know Putin just used that "NATO expansion" thing as an excuse, right? Then it was "Ukraine is run by nazis" or some crap. If Putin (or whatever fool that replaces him if that coup is real) wa

NicoB

Can't you guys see that it doesn't matter if my neighbor wants to join a force that I consider my enemy, this doesn't give me at ANY time the right to invade this country, even more if i am member of the United Nations?

Like, trying to excuses Putin invasion is one of the most stupid things I've heard. If it was the united states invading other country I bet the same people would condemn it

Property of @Lutta Tullana
  • Like 4
Debithius
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, LoliLux said:

Finland seems to have learned nothing what happens with countries that want to join NATO and border Russia and will soon face the same fate as them, I hope someone sues the politicians who opted for provocation rather than neutrality. This will only increase tensions between the West and Russia, increase the risk of a nuclear war and 'cause a super-inflation in Europa because the circle of sanctions and counter-sanctions will continue. I don't know what else needs to happen , until people realize that an expansion of NATO towards Russia will lead into a gigantic escalation.

Uhm, first of all the Baltic states (Estonia) already border Russia and they didn't do anything about it. Second you can't seriously believe Russia respects neutrality? He invaded Ukraine twice and have been bullying them for ages. He has been bullying Sweden and Finland by invading their waters and airspace even when discussions about joining NATO were non existent, what a way to keep strong relations. Russia has invaded Finland many times unprovoked and you think Putin is going to respect their neutrality? I call BS. They have been eyeing Gotland for so long, ready to take it from Sweden the same way they took Crimea. 

Literally, either they stay out of NATO and potentially get invaded themselves with nobody coming to their aid or they are in NATO with guaranteed aid. He even demanded, before the war mind you, that neither Finland or Sweden should join NATO, possibly because he had plans for them. NATO discussions weren't even a thing until he opened his mouth. So yes, Finland and Sweden are doing the right thing here.

Edited by Debithius
  • Like 4
lavender blonde
26 minutes ago, LoliLux said:

That is very tragic and I hope Poland will never suffer from war and occupation again. However, I think we must be fair towards Russia, though. Poland was destroyed in World War II by Germany and if we say that Russia could attack Poland again, we must also say, that Germany could also do it even if it does not look like it - after all Germany did the greatest destruction upon Poland.

History was my favorite subject and learnt a lot about Poland. Britain and France promised Poland to help if Hitler would attack Poland. But France and Britain broke their promise and did not help Poland and let it suffer during WWII.

"In 1939 Britain and France signed a series of military agreements with Poland that contained very specific promises.  The leaders of Poland understood very clearly that they had no chance against Germany alone. The French, in fact, promised the Poles in mid-May 1939 that in the event of German aggression against Poland, France would launch an offensive against the Germans "no later than fifteen days after mobilization".  This promise was sealed in a solemn treaty signed between Poland and France. Unfortunately, when Germany attacked, Poland was almost totally and completely betrayed by its democratic "friends". (Source: http://www.worldfuturefund.org/wffmaster/Reading/History/polandbetrayal.htm )

I think this is also the reason why Poland opposes the idea of an EU army and seeks help from the US - because it was abandoned in the past by France and the UK, while the US so far have not , though Poland has never been in such a case again.

However, I wonder, if Poland received no help from Britain and France during WWII, even though they were treaties, do you think the rest of Europe would help Poland actively (not just sending weapons)?

So yes, your friendship with Russia was bad. Considering history, I would say that Britain and France are also bad friends for Poland. As the article says "After the war it (Poland) had to suffer 45 years as colony of the Soviet Union as result of agreement signed by its "friends" Britain and America." It doesn't excuse anything of what the SU did, but it shows us that Britain and France also play a role because they did not help Poland.

Nearly everything you wrote is true. But, in my opinion, the difference between France/Great Britain/Germany and Russia is that they "got their karma" in some way. If France/GB knew back then what they know now, I'm sure they'd prefer figthing Hitler in Poland rather than on their own territories. But they didn't do it, so Hitler came to them next and their countries were destroyed. Their men had to fight and die. Their buildings were bombed. If not USA's help, they could have lost. After something like that I think they have learnt their lesson and I really think that's why Great Britain is so invested in Ukraine now, because they know that it didn't start in Ukraine and it will not end there. History might repeat itself.

Germans hold themselves accountable. They don't lie, don't pretend nothing happened, don't say that the victims were the opressors. Russia, on the other hand, never got their karma and never was held accountable for what they did to Poland, Hungary, Czekoslovakia, former USSR states. It's often forgotten, but I have to state it clear: In 1939 Poland was not invaded ONLY by Nazi Garmany, but we were invaded SIMULTANEOUSLY by Germans and Soviets. Germany attacked us on the 1st of September and USSR did too on 17th September. The country was divided in two and one part became German and the second became Soviet. Ribbentrop-Molotov Pact exsisted. USSR started fighting Hitler, because Germans betrayed them and attacked them, but before that USSR was Hitler's ally for years. And now they say they are and always were fighting Nazis... Please :selena:

"I think this is also the reason why Poland opposes the idea of an EU army and seeks help from the US - because it was abandoned in the past by France and the UK, while the US so far have not , though Poland has never been in such a case again."

This one is the only thing not true. Since 2015 we've had the far-right populist goverment. They are something Trump-Orban-like. They are UE sceptics and they say NO to whatever UE says and does :bear:

• Like 1
lasagna
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, LoliLux said:

Finland seems to have learned nothing what happens with countries that want to join NATO and border Russia and will soon face the same fate as them, I hope someone sues the politicians who opted for provocation rather than neutrality. This will only increase tensions between the West and Russia, increase the risk of a nuclear war and 'cause a super-inflation in Europa because the circle of sanctions and counter-sanctions will continue. I don't know what else needs to happen , until people realize that an expansion of NATO towards Russia will lead into a gigantic escalation.

you're wrong, you're brainwashed, and you suck for saying this.

don't make a single excuse for the atrocities russia has committed. even remotely trying to explain away why putin has done what he done is shameful and you should be embarrassed with yourself.

Edited by lasagna
human turd
JustTea
2 hours ago, LoliLux said:

The NATO expansion is the real reason why these things happen. Russia only invades a country if it is perceived as a security threat and NATO is perceived as a security threat, and this is the reason why neutrality is the best option to avoid being attacked by Russia. This is also the reason why there was a crisis in Cuba, because the US didn't allow Cuba to have severe weapons there.

Countries, as I wrote in the post above, like Mongolia, Kazakhstan or Azerbaijan, that did not want to join NATO and don't have these plans, were not attacked by Russia since 1991. Only Georgia and Ukraine, were attacked so far, two countries that border Russia and had plans to join Russia.

I think Russia only said that Nazi arguments to make Ukraine look bad on the international stage. Ukraine is not a Nazi country.

As I said, I see a clear correlation between "having NATO plans and bordering Russia" and "being attacked by Russia" and "neutrality" and "living in peace". This is why I think that Finlands decision will lead to more escalation. If Finnland is lucky, it won't be attacked. But Putin may change his mind anytime and attack it for its NATO ambitions, who knows what "surprise" means,  then it will be disastrous for Finland.

Sorry, but you're delusional. :awkney: As a Finn, I don't see Russia attacking us anymore even if they wanted to. Russia probably would've attacked Finland later on, but now their forces are in the Ukraine and Putin himself said that Russia won't do anything unless NATO things (base/nuclear/etc) are brought to Finland, and that's not happening. :yennefer:

And Putin knows that they caused this. It was just a matter of time. Now they have no chance to touch Finland/Sweden anymore and Baltic Sea is secured in peace. :classy:

• Like 1
Ronk
3 hours ago, PartySick said:

You know Putin just used that "NATO expansion" thing as an excuse, right? Then it was "Ukraine is run by nazis" or some crap.

If Putin (or whatever fool that replaces him if that coup is real) wants to invade a country, he'll find a reason :bear: his goal, according to some of the better informed members here, isn't to push back against NATO. It's to rebuild the Soviet Union, push Russia's borders forwards to geologically strategic points, and create a legacy beyond being a murderous lunatic.

The fact of the matter is had Ukraine been part of NATO before, they would have never been touched. Finland and Sweden can see that as well which is why they're ready to join.

Mte.  Putin's goal is to rebuild the Soviet Union.  He will make up any excuses and lies to help him achieve that goal.  If the west allows him to take Ukraine he will take the other countries that were previously in the Soviet Union.  If the west in unable to save Ukraine, they will be unable to save Georgia and Moldova.

If Finland is blocked from joining NATO, I hope many counties will sidestep NATO and form their own mutual defense alliances with Finland.

I live outside the space time continuum.
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Oriane

Yes, Putin didn't attack Ukraine because of NATO, but the possbility of this scared him as it would have been a threat to his plans. Wasn't everybody here freaking out when it all started, when Ukraine asked to join NATO, then Sweden and Finland? I remember the countless comments saying you were scared that it would cause him to attack neighboring countries/other NATO countries.

You popped my heart seams, all my bubble dreams
SlowLoris
9 hours ago, LoliLux said:

Of course, this is clearly the reason and this has been said many times. What makes you think this is not the reason?

Ukraine was living in peace after 1991, until politcians wanted to join NATO in the early 2010s and then it was attacked for the first time. The same with Georgia. So how do you explain that Ukraine was not attacked in times when it did not want to join NATO?

Other countries like Mongolia and Kazakhstan that border Russia, that did not want to join NATO, were never attacked by Russia since 1991. it is a matter of fact, that since 1991, Russia never attacked a country that did not want to join NATO and that all countries that opted for neutrality , were never attacked by Russia since 1991. This is why neutrality is the best option for Finland.

No, I don't think that Ukraine is a Nazi country because it is not a Nazi country.

Russia cares about restoring its former imperial power.  Every other reason given for invading them has been petty "justification".  Putin has been waiting for this moment for a long time.  

TheSlash
9 hours ago, LoliLux said:

So how do you explain that Ukraine was not attacked in times when it did not want to join NATO?

Well maybe because since 2019 there's a president in the Ukraine who isn't just an extended arm for Putin and is actually pro-Europe and pro-NATO.

"And why did he annex Crimea in 2014 then? Explain." is probably your next question, so let me answer with a map first:

tjaha0kcv7k81.png

This is a map of oil and gas resources beneath Ukrainian territory. Notice something?

For this you have to know that Russia is the biggest exporter of gas and oil to Europe rn (some may say it's even Russia's main income regarding exports). And a big chunk of gas and oil flows through pipelines crossing the Ukraine. But Ukraine always wanted to have a stable economic value for Europe and seeing the map above, Russia is threatened that Ukraine might become a bigger exporter of oil and gas for Europe and basically destroy their main income. Seeing the map above and comparing it to a map illustrating the Russian invasion, you might get a little suspicious:

FotoJet-2022-04-21T194736.454.jpg

And then reading rumors that Russia aims to take all of Ukraine's coastline makes this make sense.

Russia has no right in dictating which military alliance a country wants to join. From my perspective, they use the NATO expansion as an excuse to wrongfully invade a country, just like they used the "Denazification" as the reason why the invaded Ukraine in the first place.

Ew, David!
  • Like 1
Sepsami
21 hours ago, LoliLux said:

Yes god forbid a sovereign country decides something without asking for permission to omnipotent Putin :poot:

andreas85
Posted (edited)

Those threats are just empty threats. They are totally meaningless and Finnish people are so used to them that they hardly even pay any attention to them anymore because everyone knows that Russia is just all talk.

If Russia for some reason tries to invade Finland then that just proves that Russians haven't learned anything from history. Last time they did that they lost 250000 men and Finland only lost about 26000 men even though Finland was way smaller country. If Russians would actually invade Finland in modern times they would face a highly skilled, technologically advanced defence forces that has been designed to defend their country specifically against Russian threat. Also, Russian economy is a joke and no country in the world would be supporting Russia if they attacked against sovereign and peaceful country like Finland. There also obviously would be even harsher sanctions against Russia.

Edited by andreas85
  • Thanks 1
dopega

I'm going to quite literally end my life if Russia attacks us :vegas:

† 𝘥𝘰𝘶𝘣𝘭𝘦 𝘧𝘪𝘴𝘵𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘲𝘶𝘦𝘦𝘯 †