💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
event

Eurovision 2022 winner is...

COOOK

Featured Posts

KORG
9 hours ago, Ivannn said:

UK would not benefit from it I think as it is clear people voted in other directions. Voting for Ukraine did not stop Molodva, Serbia, Spain to get over 300 or 200 points

Ah, an unprovable guess. Not sure why you think that's a fact but you do you 

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
RudraCNG

Remember when Eurovision was about dancey and catchy songs? Omg this year was a snorefest, except for Spain, Sweden and Moldavia. Tired of pseudo-deep ballads.

StrawberryBlond

The way the jury voted and wasn't giving Ukraine a runaway victory, I actually thought there was a chance it might not happen. It's not a bad song, I quite like the dance breaks because that beat is infectious and I'm sure that even without the war, that song would've still been very popular but I don't think it seems quite like a winner's song. There's other much worse songs that would've really been a travesty to win (I'm still not sure what anyone saw in that wannabe edgy Serbian one) but it just felt a shame that it all ended in such a predictable way. I honestly wondered if Ukraine was even going to want to compete initially as their inclusion at this time would seem too political for what is supposed to be an impartial singing contest that can launch careers. I don't understand why some people are acting like this isn't a big deal because Eurovision has always been political. The point is, we've been trying to get out of that way of things for years and have made lots of progress and this just harks back to the old way that doesn't encourage focusing on the song.

But I have to say, as a Brit, I am beyond pleased to see us finally get our best position in 20 years. While I think it's decent, it wasn't my favourite song but boy, does Sam sell it when he performs it live and he added in a guitar section that wasn't in the official audio. He promoted himself well and comes across as so nice and genuine, which all really helped his case. It's about so much more than sending a good song, like some claim. It's about promotion and just caring, and even then, that might not get you anywhere. There were a lot of good songs that got shockingly little love last night (how in the world did Germany not get any points from the jury whatsoever when it was probably the most sincere song in the entire contest?) but it was nice to see so many of my favourites place well. The turnaround for the UK is insane - has any country gone from 0 points to second place in the space of 1 year? To my mind, because they won the jury vote and won second overall, the best outcome across the board, in my mind, they did win. We may have come second, but it feels like we won.

Okinawa
On 5/15/2022 at 1:22 AM, COOOK said:

This win also means they're hosting next year so this will certainly bring a lot to their economy

Actually, the opposite holds to be true. Hosting the ESC costs millions of money and organizing the ESC is very expensive. Ukraine will get poorer if it will host it. Ireland was faced with the same szenario/problems in the past. When it had won several times the ESC, the Irish broadcasting company had no money to host the ESC and it had to withdraw and cancel other shows to save enough money for the ESC.  (Source: https://www.rte.ie/brainstorm/2021/0510/1217976-rte-1971-eurovision-colour/ )   .Ukraine hosting the ESC will come at the expense of other things.

To the topic:

yes, it was clearly a sympathy vote and yes it was unfair and political! It was even MASSIVELY a political bonus because the point advantage was extremely high which will cast a shadow on all future comparisons. Nevertheless, I am happy with Ukraine being the winner because I didn't like England and the UKs song was so extremely basic, whereas Ukraine's song was at least individual and an expression of European traditions. I think the Ukrainian song is better than the average of the ESC songs performed and also better than previous winners. Also I like this years song much more than Jamalas song back then. So I definitely prefer Ukraine to be the winner rather than the UK, even if it means that the victory is achieved by unfair means. So actually I'm glad about how it turned out to be and I like the idea that Ukraine has won because of the sympathy vote as it is the most acceptable winner for me. :)

~We are Reel Cool~

Okinawa
On 5/15/2022 at 8:23 PM, RudraCNG said:

Remember when Eurovision was about dancey and catchy songs? Omg this year was a snorefest, except for Spain, Sweden and Moldavia. Tired of pseudo-deep ballads.

what are you saying? I have a totally different impression.  I 've been watching the ESC for many years and this year clearly was NOT a snorefest/snoozefest AT ALL ! There were many more ballads in thre previous years / decade. Actually, after the ESC was over, I was thinking "it was alright and fine this year, an improvement because there werent so many ballads".

I am only judging and referring to the grand ESC finale. I did not watch the semi-finals.

~We are Reel Cool~

darkgaga
41 minutes ago, LoliLux said:

what are you saying? I have a totally different impression.  I 've been watching the ESC for many years and this year clearly was NOT a snorefest/snoozefest AT ALL ! There were many more ballads in thre previous years / decade. Actually, after the ESC was over, I was thinking "it was alright and fine this year, an improvement because there werent so many ballads".

I am only judging and referring to the grand ESC finale. I did not watch the semi-finals.

There were a lot of ballads this year. The only real bop this year was Spain, and maybe Norway (unless you want to count Moldova as a bop). Last years you had way more

Okinawa
On 5/15/2022 at 5:07 PM, BBhomemaker said:

Sadly i don’t agree that it will have any boost on their tourism in such a short time, it will take a few years before the country find back its normal attraction (especially when you look at where their usual flows of tourists came from)

I'm also sceptical that it will have any boost on their tourism. It will take at least 4 years, maybe a decade & more will be needed until Ukraine will start to normalize. People will not do vacation in places where there is a risk of a surprise attack from Russia. The terror attacks on Paris alone had a negative effect for two years in a row for all of France and affected cities outside the Paris metro area. ( https://www.degruyter.com/document/doi/10.1515/zfw-2019-0015/html?lang=en ) No casual insurance from the EU or Asia will cover Ukraine already after just 1 year after war, and the lack of insurance will make people stay away. You won't be able to make school trips to Ukraine. I remember well when I was at school, there were terror attacks in London, and afterwards London was set on banned list and it was not allowed for the teachers to make trips to London for five years. What Ukraine will need the most is to rebuilt the infrastructure.

~We are Reel Cool~

BBhomemaker
3 hours ago, LoliLux said:

I'm also sceptical that it will have any boost on their tourism. It will take at least 4 years, maybe a decade & more will be needed until Ukraine will start to normalize. People will not do vacation in places where there is a risk of a surprise attack from Russia. The terror attacks on Paris alone had a negative effect for two years in a row for all of France and affected cities outside the Paris metro area. ( https://www.degruyter.com/document/doi/10.1515/zfw-2019-0015/html?lang=en ) No casual insurance from the EU or Asia will cover Ukraine already after just 1 year after war, and the lack of insurance will make people stay away. You won't be able to make school trips to Ukraine. I remember well when I was at school, there were terror attacks in London, and afterwards London was set on banned list and it was not allowed for the teachers to make trips to London for five years. What Ukraine will need the most is to rebuilt the infrastructure.

Especially since the usual touristic flows from the past years were coming from Ukraine itself (first visitors are always the ones living in the country, internal flow) then Moldova, Belarus, Russia and Hungary.. we can assume that half of their usual visitors are not welcome to come back for vacation in the next years. And Ukraine never been a major destination for west europeans, americans and asians. 
Then as you said, there is the insecurity that still remains to this day,  we are not advised or allowed to go there and will take years before the world see Ukraine as something else than what we see on tv rn (Africa is one example of it, while having amazing nature, hotels and culture..TV/medias usually show an image poorly appealing, thanks to insta accounts to show also the good).
France had to work so hard with a lot of communication campaigns aboard to promote and regain the trust of travelers, it was a huge budget and required helps from all the professionals of tourism and the government, the investment paid off but i would argue that France despite the attacks were still the most visited country those years and played on its reputation, and that while having insecurity, my country was not officially in war, it was shocking to see Paris and Nice that way but the cities were not seen as destroyed, it was singeled dramatic events (same could be say about Manchester). Ukraine sadly has a lot to rebuild and to protect as they already do with art pieces or monuments, its in nobody’s mind to go there for leisures.
Also its notable to remember that Ukraine is not a country depending of tourism, their main activities or economy is not driven by travels, so I believe it wont be the priority after the war. Their main attractions were Kiev ofc and maybe Tchernobyl..

mwjuell91
On 5/15/2022 at 1:50 AM, retrosexual123 said:

Both Spain and the UK were robbed by Ukraine’s sympathy votes… 

Spain was god awful

mwjuell91
On 5/15/2022 at 10:26 AM, Oriane said:

I just listened to it and let's just that that if that's the song that won, I won't bother listening to the other entries :selena:

I'm sure Ukrainians are happy but if I was the artists, I'm not sure I would be able to completely enjoy the win because I would be wondering if I won because of sympathy votes or really because the song was that good. That's not a nice feeling to have.

As If thats what the artist think..? They are obviously proud to represent their country and feel the support from rest of Europe. 

Oriane
3 hours ago, mwjuell91 said:

As If thats what the artist think..? They are obviously proud to represent their country and feel the support from rest of Europe. 

Of course that's what an artist thinks :huh: You don't put passion into your art just so people can praise you for reasons that have nothing to do with your talent.

You popped my heart seams, all my bubble dreams

mwjuell91
5 hours ago, Oriane said:

Of course that's what an artist thinks :huh: You don't put passion into your art just so people can praise you for reasons that have nothing to do with your talent.

their win and the song becomes a symbol of Ukraine during a period of war. It doesn't get more meaningful than that as an artist?

Archived