Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Was Kim Right or Wrong for wearing Marilyn's dress?

Dojo

Was Kim right or wrong?  

212 members have voted

1. 1. Was Kim right or wrong for wearing Marilyn's dress?

• Right (Her intentions were good)
    • Wrong / In poor taste.

Featured Posts

Just now, dojo said:

I agree and it was out of line. Please accept my sincere apology.

Of course bb :kara:

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Dojo
Just now, AnnaNicoleSmith said:

Of course bb :kara:

To be honest i was actually pressedt because i feel like you are some of the very few people i can have a conversation on this topics but you kept ignoring me on several replies.

And i have to accept i didn't properly read your reply at first and burst into a conclussion. And i didn't meant to diminish your ig account, i also tried to start one but it flopped so i value and applaud the fact that you managed to grow your account, i know how hard it can be :cyanlights:

elijahfan

Honestly, I'm really torn about this. My first reaction hearing the rumors was extreme excitement to see this iconic dress back into the spotlight, and whether you like her or not, you can't deny Kim is pretty much the current epitome of American pop culture. So Kim wearing this dress is undeniably a massive moment, an absolute boss move and probably the biggest fashion moment to ever grace the MET red carpet.

On the other hand, even though everything was apparently done to protect the dress, I'm not sure it sets the best of precedents when it comes to historically important fashion pieces. Some garments are just not meant to be seen anywhere else than in a museum. I also completely hear the fact that some people are finding this disrespectful - Marilyn is such a precious icon, it seems everyone just wants to respect and protect her legacy and even tho Kim seemed to have good intentions, it's pretty hard not to admit there's an ego trip dimension to this, not to mention this will forever change the legacy of the dress.

So yeah, in hindsight, I do feel how problematic this was, but I can't deny this blew me away. I literally don't know what to vote here.

PartySick
5 minutes ago, dojo said:

why do you guys think a replica is the same? i keep reading "whey didn't she made a replica"

ofc is not the same, you want to feel the REAL DEAL in your flesh, the ENERGY

i couldn't care less about celebs clothes but imagine wearing the REAL belongins of Plato, Alexander thee great, Cleopatra, Aristoteles, Da Vinci, it must be ICONIQUÉ, even for a few seconds

not to mention very inspiring. Probably Kimberly felt that energy while wearing such legendary piece that captures so much, the peak of the cold war, tons of conspiracies, a possible suicide and the murder of a man that changed the world entirely.

Is not about money, she can have more expensive and more beautiful dresses, is way more special than that.

am i right queen @AnnaNicoleSmith

I'm not talking about the dress anymore, I'm talking about MJ's jacket that they're going to butcher for a kid to wear :chica:

It's not something I really care about in all honesty but it is mildly annoying :huntyga:

North can "feel the energy" while wearing it without having it cut up :bradley:

💚

Dojo
Just now, PartySick said:

I'm not talking about the dress anymore, I'm talking about MJ's jacket that they're going to butcher for a kid to wear :chica:

It's not something I really care about in all honesty but it is mildly annoying :huntyga:

North can "feel the energy" while wearing it without having it cut up :bradley:

omg the way i keep bothering you with the dress :billie:

sorry again :ally:

elijahfan

Also, for those who think Kim is a talentless starlet who isn't worthy of this dress, it might be worth mentioning Marilyn had a similar reputation back in the days, and I can't help but feel like she would've liked Kim and this homage. Just a thought.

CheapGin
Just now, BBhomemaker said:

I think you’re going to far, but if you would like to elaborate on it, i would listen closely.
Also i still think she is a product of others artists. 

I’m curious why you think that’s too far?

Television is entertainment media and constructed through narrative stories. 

Kim is not only a manager and curator of her own public image, but she used the medium of reality television to capitalize— by inviting the audience (the consumer) into her life by sharing the narrative stories. 

Like a movie, a creative team constructs the narrative of a reality show. Instead of using a script they use the scenarios and arcs of somebodies life. A memoir and a novel are both art forms, one is based in truth one is based in reality. They are both built with the intention of telling a story, just like a movie compared to a reality show.

Kim is also a producer on the show. Reality TV explores the same artful Shakespearean themes of the human condition, it just uses different ingredients to get there. Art is always collaborative, and always needs a canvas. Kim is a collaborator, and also the canvas.

PartySick
Just now, dojo said:

omg the way i keep bothering you with the dress :billie:

sorry again :ally:

Too late for apologies :partysick:

Ban incoming :partysick:

💚

BBhomemaker
6 minutes ago, CheapGin said:

I’m curious why you think that’s too far?

Television is entertainment media and constructed through narrative stories. 

Kim is not only a manager and curator of her own public image, but she used the medium of reality television to capitalize— by inviting the audience (the consumer) into her life by sharing the narrative stories. 

Like a movie, a creative team constructs the narrative of a reality show. Instead of using a script they use the scenarios and arcs of somebodies life. A memoir and a novel are both art forms, one is based in truth one is based in reality. They are both built with the intention of telling a story, just like a movie compared to a reality show.

Kim is also a producer on the show. Reality TV explores the same artful Shakespearean themes of the human condition, it just uses different ingredients to get there. Art is always collaborative, and always needs a canvas. Kim is a collaborator, and also the canvas.

I thought it was too far to call reality tv an art. But after reading your post im starting to see it, after all it is the reflection of this generation expression. Not all art have the same purpose and not everyone is receptive to it and i totally agree with that. You set some thoughtful arguments, i thank you. :happy:

Fanta
2 hours ago, NicoB said:

historical items dont have only the value and purpose they had when they were created. they're part of human history and should be kept protected with the finality of preserving culture, preserving the time context, preserving the history itself, and not to satisfy the ego of a fame hungry billionaire

End the thread.

Marilyn is arguably the most famous woman in the world. She deserved better than to have her legacy stretched out by (literally) a fake ass on a red carpet. The audacity is simply beyond me.

Dojo
Just now, Fanta said:

She deserved better than to have her legacy stretched out by (literally) a fake ass on a red carpet.

Divorce Court Omg GIF

i legit thought we were past the point of judging people that get plastic surgery, quite of an outdated pov based mostly on misoginy.

Lovelife

I blame Instagram for making the Kardashian-Jenner famous:interestinga:

PunkTheFunk

I'm only concerned that she potentially damaged the dress.

Dojo
Just now, PunkTheFunk said:

I'm only concerned that she potentially damaged the dress.

She did not me thinks.

Fanta
2 minutes ago, dojo said:

Divorce Court Omg GIF

i legit thought we were past the point of judging people that get plastic surgery, quite of an outdated pov based mostly on misoginy.

I don't know what I'm more puzzled about: you thinking I'm judging people for getting plastic surgery or you thinking it's misogynistic to critique plastic surgery. Ma'am, get it together!

Archived