💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Was Kim Right or Wrong for wearing Marilyn's dress?

Dojo

Was Kim right or wrong?  

212 members have voted

1. 1. Was Kim right or wrong for wearing Marilyn's dress?

• Right (Her intentions were good)
    • Wrong / In poor taste.

Featured Posts

Chic
21 minutes ago, Fanta said:

I don't know what I'm more puzzled about: you thinking I'm judging people for getting plastic surgery or you thinking it's misogynistic to critique plastic surgery. Ma'am, get it together!

Didn’t Marilyn Monroe have a number of surgeries herself? Kind of related but idk

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Dojo
16 minutes ago, Chic said:

Didn’t Marilyn Monroe have a number of surgeries herself? Kind of related but idk

there was a rumoured one on the nose, never confirmed and the rest were medical surgeries, her gallbladder for example.

BornAsUnic0rn
2 hours ago, PartySick said:

I don't see the issue :partysick:

My problem is the altering of these icons' clothing, not wearing them :huntyga:

But the Marilyn dress wasn’t altered at all and she was put into it by people wearing white gloves, her hair is literally up like that and her whole way of using makeup was changed just so nothing comes onto the dress. She literally altered her body, (she literally lost weight to fit into the dress) and her lifestyle to fit into the dress, not knowing if it would work out, for a few moments on the red carpet, with the dress being the most secure thing that probably ever touched a red carpet for a fashion event. For literally a short moment.

And for the Michael Jackson west.. she literally bought it, it belongs to her, why shouldn’t she be able to do with it what she wants? Just like Gaga does with her collective pieces she owns.

CheapGin
1 hour ago, BBhomemaker said:

I thought it was too far to call reality tv an art. But after reading your post im starting to see it, after all it is the reflection of this generation expression. Not all art have the same purpose and not everyone is receptive to it and i totally agree with that. You set some thoughtful arguments, i thank you. :happy:

I am glad you are open to a new perspective! You are right that reality TV offers generational reflection, and gives us cultural time capsules to look back on.

LDGA

People is only making a big mess outof this situation because is Kim Kardashian, there is no other reason for this. Artist before have dressed clother, luxury and stuff from historical figures and nothing has happened until kim fits in this dress, and the drama start. The dress wont lose the historycal value or the meaning or be a disrespect to someone, Kim just wore it for a Gala, nothing else. 

Also, if the high court of USA is almost banning the abortion (or something like that) why is this the IT news of the moment that a woman wore a dress and not that? Sometimes i just cant understand internet people. 

Chesescake

I don't know...

I really don't know...

sad smoke GIF by Un si grand soleil

I always get angry when I saw ppl damaging the gallery art pieces. Then what's the difference this time? Has her butt stretch the dress? She intentionally damage the dress to get to become the hot topic? She's disrespect and lame?

But the replicate can't compare to the original right? Like those classic immaculate drawing. So I guess I can understand the excitement she may have? Does that make sense?

Anyway this topic would flew away til the day internet make another controversy hot again I guess, so let just leave it there.

Eighteen

honestly i don't think people should be wearing historical pieces like this. it's history. i mean... now it's kind of kim's dress too in a way, after all she's now the last one to have worn it, and at a high profile press event too to boot. 

it kind of tarnishes the dress to me. now it's the dress that marilyn AND kim wore. haven't given that much thought to this or read much about it because ultimately i am not that into marilyn monroe, but that's what i think right off the top of my head. 

StrawberryBlond

Controversial, I know, but I really don't care. Clothes are just objects, value that we bestow upon them is a social construct. Marilyn's legacy will never be forgotten no matter what happens to that dress. Do you think if Ripley's caught fire tomorrow and that dress was burned to a crisp that people would forget all about it? No, there's photos, videos, memories. That dress will never die no matter what happens to it. The world's going to end one day, nothing lasts forever, certainly not dresses.

Much less outrage would be exhibited if it was a highly beloved person wearing it instead. But Kim, despite elevating herself beyond sexual notoriety at this point, still struggles to be taken seriously. She must have some resilience to wake up every day knowing that the internet is going to be filled with comments body shaming her, sl*t shaming her, finding fault with every minute thing she says and saying that she's not worthy of xyz. Because, apparently, all progressive beliefs of being respectful towards people's mental health and basic humanity means nothing when it comes to those we perceive as tacky reality stars. Marilyn dealt with the same sort of derision Kim did, it's only fitting that she should mirror this reality all these years later, proving we still have problems with how we view women as good or bad and treat them accordingly. To constantly say that a human who has never committed anything evil is unworthy of this, that and the next thing is quite shameful and it's sad that society does not see this when it comes to Kim. Props to her for thinking she's worthy even if no one else does.

KillerMonster

To me, I feel it is a bit disrespectful towards Marilyn. Kim is not on Marilyn’s level. But then again, Gaga has also worn a deceased stars clothing item, Michael Jackson’s jacket during the rally for Hillary Clinton. :shrug:

Don’t play with me, it just hurts me.

jeremiahsaint1000

kim k shouldnt be famous PERIOD 

miss when people became famous for being talented 

im so tired of hearing about her

tyler k

I don't really care about a dress, yeah it's definitely in poor taste and NOT EVEN oN THEME?? :partysick:

what is "guilded age" about this dresss from the 1960s?? 

what I really don't like is how she's glamorizing losing weight to fit into a dress, it's DISGUSTING. like why is that a little fact for her to dish out, "oh yeah I lost 15 lbs in less than two weeks to fit WHEW" that's not something to boast about and parade around as cool thing she did. it's really gross.

mmmy name ~isn't~ aliceee

Future Lovers

What the problem is here is not that she wore the dress, it’s that a woman who was exploited and abused all her life is still being used as nothing more than a showpiece even in death. The museum gave kim a jar of her hair to go along with the dress, Kim bragged about essentially starving herself to fit into it, all of it is incredibly disrespectful. 

But the problem goes well beyond Kim K. Far, far too many people treat Marilyn Monroe and her image as nothing more than something to wear like a costume, and rarely is the woman herself respected in the process. There’s a difference between homaging someone and treating them like a toy for entertainment. 

Marilyn came from absolutely nothing, survived sexual assault multiple times, and fought all her life with depression and substance dependency to the point there is a question today over whether her death was an accident or suicide. Her whole life she was objectified and used as an aesthetic. When she tried to embrace her femininity and sexuality to try and take some power back in her life, she was just called a ***** and still is by many to this day. 

She and her legacy, and many other celebrities who have since passed that get used today as nothing more than a costume, deserves to be treated with respect. She earned more than having someone starve themselves to wear her clothes to a silly celebrity dress up party and especially more than locks of her hair being given out as some weird party favor. 

Spoiler

I made a new thread for this bc I wasn’t sure if it wasn’t sure if this particular conversation was relevant to or on topic with the conversation in the other thread but @PartySick or @FATCAT if you feel that it is, then feel free to merge and my apologies! 

Taylucifer

tbh the main thing that annoys me is how proud she seems about all the weight that she lost to fit into the dress and her pushing that idea onto her young fanbase as healthy and normal

The Tortured Poets Department is out NOW

Fanta

But it’s just a dress, who cares? It’s not a big deal.

Sarcasm, if I must explain myself. I wholeheartedly agree with you. You don’t have to be ‘angry’ at K*m to still state the obvious, that the entire thing was an extremely distasteful publicity stunt. She wanted to align her status with that of Marilyn’s, and now since she’s the only other person to wear one of her most iconic dresses ever (and a piece of history) she technically gets that.

K*m has always been a problematic troll, this is just another ‘all press is good press’ moment for her.

AkariGaga

1. Some museums and some historic places even forbid their visitors to touch the art pieces and took photographs because it can damage art pieces.I know the dress is not that old but bringing out the dress to the outside environment will sure damage it ,let alone the chemicals from her lotion,her makeup ,her hairspray ,the wind and the sun.

2 . Her boosting about all the weight she had to loose to fit in this dress.That’s some  really toxic **** .Eating disorders and body dysmorphia are not healthy.

Archived