Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Megarate | The Heart Rate: 10 Years of Electra Heart

Cruelty

Featured Posts

Cruelty

HEART%20RATE%20BANNER.png

Electra Heart is the antithesis of everything that I stand for. And the point of introducing her and building a whole concept around her is that she stands for the corrupt side of American ideology, and basically that’s the corruption of yourself. My worst fear — that's anyone’s worst fear — is losing myself and becoming a vacuous person. And that happens a lot when you’re very ambitious.
–MARINA DIAMANDIS, 2012

INTERVIEWER: Does Electra Heart have a happy love life?
MARINA: No. It’s… tragic!

original.gif

For the followup to her Gold-certified debut The Family Jewels, Marina Diamandis took a left turn out of indie-pop and headed straight for the dancefloor. The result was 2012’s Electra Heart, a package of sleek, taut electropop numbers co-written with industry-leading producers including Rick Nowels, Greg Kurstin, Stargate and Diplo.

Electra Heart represents the collision of Greek tragedy, British humour, and the American Dream. It’s a story about bad romance. About how we understand ourselves and how we interact with others. About what this mess of a world is doing to us all. Its lyrics explore the sinister sides of love; its Valley of the Dolls-inspired imagery challenged the American Dream’s corruption of (female) identity, Casper Balslev photographing Marina as the House Wife, the Beauty Queen, the Homewrecker, and the Idle Teen. For better or worse, its iconic eyeliner-heart motif and barrage of music videos—which charted the birth, adventures and death of the starring role herself—practically created 2011-14 Tumblr culture (alongside Born to Die, of course).

Taking inspiration from Madonna, Marilyn, Britney and Depeche Mode, the songs sidestep into eurodance (‘Radioactive’), EDM (‘Primadonna’) and pop-punk (‘Bubblegum Bitch’), all the while discussing rejection, regret, identity, and above all the sheer force that love commands over us all. Sometimes sinister, sometimes euphoric, but always bold, Electra Heart stands as the jewel in the crown of one of our generation’s most unique alt-pop idols. Truly, her Heartpop could mean anything.

Marina’s creative risks paid off. Electra Heart catapulted straight to the top of the UK charts, and now boasts two Platinum songs in the US, with another two Gold-certified. If you’ve never heard Electra Heart, I can’t encourage you enough. The record is imperial phase Marina and the Diamonds, and is widely considered a modern pop classic. You should absolutely listen to it now, send in your scores, and help make sure this rate doesn’t flop :lolga:

HOW%20IT%20WORKS.png

We’ll be rating the brand-new 10th anniversary Platinum Blonde Edition of Electra Heart. This includes the original 12-track album, plus its 5 bonus tracks and the non-album singles ‘E.V.O.L.’ and ‘Electra Heart’, the former coming to Spotify for the first time. Here’s the full album:

When you’re ready to vote, the Google form is here: https://forms.gle/pgJRrNFFQzixAWLM7. Score each song out of 10, and then at the end you can choose one song to upgrade to 11. Comments on any or all of the songs are completely optional, but it’d be great to hear your feedback!

Provisionally, you have about a month to submit scores. If we can get a good number of voters, expect a ceremony around the end of May.

Happy listening, don’t let this flop, and I can’t wait for your votes! :kiss:

tumblr_mavwrdgUlB1qbuaimo1_500.gif

MIGHT BE INTERESTED:

Butters Stotch

OMG, yeeesss!!! Just Sent mine :excited2:

FIND YOUR FREEDOM IN THE MUSIC

Poltergeist

Done! I'm excited for the results!

I've been getting messages from my deep waters

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
Cruelty

WE'RE%20BAC.png

Girls! Gays! Prepare to plaster a smudgy eyeliner heart onto your cheek because — 3 months, 1 username change and 1 small breakdown after I promised it — we're doing the Electra Heart ceremony! (In fairness, we as a society took EIGHT YEARS to make Bubblegum Bitch a smash, so this is nothing.)

Representing the collision of Greek tragedy, British humour and the American Dream, the sleek electropop of Electra Heart is imperial phase Marina and the Diamonds. Bolstered by its iconic eyeliner-heart motif and barrage of music videos, the record is widely considered a modern pop classic. If you've never listened to Electra Heart before, now's your time! The ceremony will take place next Monday.

Thanks to everyone who's voted so far:

Tagging some people who might be interested:

If you want to join us in celebrating 10 years of Electra Heart, check out the OP for all the info, or go straight to the voting form here: https://forms.gle/PW65xHFxBsgsq6587 You have until the end of this week to submit your votes!

original.gif

ARTPOPe

its-been84years-titanic.gif

Can't wait for the ceremony, y'all better do Buy The Stars and Living Dead justice :vegas:

Stream The Love Invention

holy scheisse

Submittedt 

rooting for teen idle, lonely hearts club, and radioactive :party:

zebrastripes
4 hours ago, Cruelty said:

WE'RE%20BAC.png

Girls! Gays! Prepare to plaster a smudgy eyeliner heart onto your cheek because — 3 months, 1 username change and 1 small breakdown after I promised it — we're doing the Electra Heart ceremony! (In fairness, we as a society took EIGHT YEARS to make Bubblegum Bitch a smash, so this is nothing.)

Representing the collision of Greek tragedy, British humour and the American Dream, the sleek electropop of Electra Heart is imperial phase Marina and the Diamonds. Bolstered by its iconic eyeliner-heart motif and barrage of music videos, the record is widely considered a modern pop classic. If you've never listened to Electra Heart before, now's your time! The ceremony will take place next Monday.

Thanks to everyone who's voted so far:

Tagging some people who might be interested:

If you want to join us in celebrating 10 years of Electra Heart, check out the OP for all the info, or go straight to the voting form here: https://forms.gle/PW65xHFxBsgsq6587 You have until the end of this week to submit your votes!

original.gif

Look, I love Marina and all, but I don't want to be part of this. Thank you!

Archived