politics

Putin invades Ukraine

Magic Mike

Featured Posts

Magui
26 minutes ago, FfFfFfFF said:

Displacement is perhaps war's most tangible and concrete effect. The majority of the people (percentage-wise) don't die and don't get wounded during war, but most are forced to leave their homes. This comes with trauma, distress, suffering. I feel bad for every kid (or adult) forced leave their hometown, but on the brightside, it gets better. The shock of living in a new country/ culture is hard to handle, especially if is out of a sudden. But people are able to adapt to new circumstance, children especially are maleable. They might be able to come back to Ukraine (though it's also possible the war will drag on for more months - sadly, it is what it is). Who knows, they might even choose to stay even if the war ends and bring their whole family there, at their own volition.

Your are right and I'm already trying to look at the brightside, even if today hangry feelings towards Putin were going through my mind for a good amount of time. I'm focused now, on trying to make those kids, happy, integrated, accepted during the time i work there (at the meeting with their teachers, everyone was sensible with the situation).

Edited by Magui
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• FfFfFfFF

• AnnaNicoleSmith

• PartySick

• Teletubby

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

⬆️(He’s the Ukrainian Foreign Affairs Minister) United Nations secretary-general António Guterres has made a direct plea to Russian present Putin, saying: “In the name of humanity bring your troo

omg. This is so damn frustrating...war in Europe...never thought our generation would witness this. Praying for Ukraine and the people there and I am praying this is not a bloody long lasting war...go

The 2020’s decade has brought out the worst qualities in humans.  

Ronk
1 hour ago, Magui said:

@FfFfFfFF today 3 kids ( 6, 7 and years old) from Ukraine arrive at the school where i develop some occupational activities with the kids. I work there a few hours during two days. Those 3 souls broke my heart, cause they were so quiet, their eyes where so sad, the little girl was so scared and with tears in her eyes all the time. It's was their first day. I tried my best and overall i think it was a first good interaction ( i downloaded some translate app and managed). But the moment i enter my car i felt so sad for them, that I broke down. My hate for Putin sky rocketed, i can't conceive a world where that man won't suffer any consequence for all the damages and suffering he is causing. 

(Sorry for this rant, everyday i look up the news, ( and look up your updates) i look up for something positive, for Russia to wake up and put an end to that man, and today i can shake up those kids sadness from my mind, how they were happy with their dads and their friends in their country, and now have to endure a life away from everything that was home, safety and happiness). When you see this with your own eyes, when you feel their desolation in front of you it hits you so much harder.

So proud to know you @Magui on this site, such a kind person helping those kids.  The world needs many more people like you. :heart:

I live outside the space time continuum.
  • Love 3
FfFfFfFF

Azerbaijan might attempt to capture a second village in Nagorno-Karabah, after they first occupied Parukh just 1 week ago (1)

Nagorno-Karabah (also known as Artsak) is a disputed area between Armenia and Azerbaijan. After the break up of the URSS, Armenia wanted to incorporate the Armenian-inhabited lands from Azerbaijan, Azerbaijan refused, thus leading to a regional war that ended in Azerbaijan defeat and Armenian occupation of a chunk of Azerbaijan. In 2020, Azerbaijan started a new war and regained around 50% of it. Crucially, after the ceasefire, there are Russian troops stationed there.

1200px-Nagorno-Karabakh_war_map_(2020).s

A few days ago, an Ukrainian official asked for new fronts against the Russians to be opened in Kaliningrad (Russian exclave to the Baltic Sea), Transnistria (area internationally considered part of Moldova), Abhazia and South Osethia (Georgia), Nagorno-Karabah (claimed by Armenia) and the Kuril Islands (contested by Japan) (1). Somehow mirroring this, a Polish general recently said Poland has a historical claim to Kalinigrand (2). Russia is an empire, and like empires, its peripheries are full of instability and frozen conflicts, however, it would be better if they do not escalate into bigger things. :green:

fsu-breakaway-territories.png?itok=itdig

Edited by FfFfFfFF
Staryu17
On 3/30/2022 at 9:19 AM, Ronald Allen said:

i hope this ends soon. I feel bad for all the poor souls that lost thier lives .:saladga:

What does "ends soon" even mean anymore 😔

• Sad 1
FfFfFfFF

FPMpLbiWYAY33uG?format=jpg&name=4096x409

During the day, the Russians reatreated or were pushed out from various places by Ukrainian forces.

Screenshot_288.png

1) After suffering acute radiation symptoms, Russian soldiers left Chernobyl area.

2) The Russians significantly paused theiScreenshot_289.pngr operations around Kyiv & many Russians troops are seen leaving the area around the capital, possibly to be sent to other axes of advancements. In the NW of Kyiv, Makariv (fully) and Borodyanka (partially) are under Ukrainians control. Ukraine regained control of at least 7 other settlements in the NW and E of Kyiv, despite Russians’ attempt to hold on to all their previous gains.

Screenshot_292.png

3) Ukrainians deny Russia’s claims that Russians retreated from Chernihiv and Sumy. Moreover, Ukrainian forces regained control of at least 3 settlements in Chernihiv Oblast.

Screenshot_293.png4) Nothing major happened in Kharkiv.

5) Official of the so-called Donetsk People’s Republic said Russia’s goal is for the separatist republic to expand to its ‘constitutional borders’, as in, to capture the entire Donetsk. However, the Russians were unable to expand in Donbas in the last 24 hours.

Screenshot_294.png

6) The Russians continue to gain ground in Mariupol.

Screenshot_296.png7) Ukrainians regained control of 8 settlements in the south of the country (around Huleaipole and Kherson).

It’s unclear what these apparent, claimed reatrets happening all over the country are meant to accomplish. Are they ways in which Russians try to dress up their localized defeats in Russia giving up ground on its own because of the peace talks? Are they solely meant to allow the Russians to regroup and attack the whole of eastern Ukraine further? Or they are indeed what Russia claims, aka a result of the fact that they will now concentrate solely on Donbas. Laughably, it is being claimed this was their goal all along, when in fact in was subduing the whole of Ukraine, as seen from the fact that they attacked Ukraine along its entire borders and not just Donbas. Things are not going to plan at all, and this is why Putin decided to draft 1300.000 Russian citizens to the army (1)

Edited by FfFfFfFF
  • Thanks 2
Magui

@Ronk honestly I'm just doing my job. I work there a few hours. And now thinking about it, I'm the lucky one, cause it gives me the opportunity to help with more proximity ...idk how to explain it, this war makes you feel sad and powerless and with this kids it makes me feel i can make some difference and try to make them feel happy and accepted. I always thought like that, but the older i get, the more i think that when you have the chance to help anyone, you help yourself,  it's bright your day and brings you happiness too.  

• Love 3
Magui
8 hours ago, FfFfFfFF said:

Azerbaijan might attempt to capture a second village in Nagorno-Karabah, after they first occupied Parukh just 1 week ago (1)

Nagorno-Karabah (also known as Artsak) is a disputed area between Armenia and Azerbaijan. After the break up of the URSS, Armenia wanted to incorporate the Armenian-inhabited lands from Azerbaijan, Azerbaijan refused, thus leading to a regional war that ended in Azerbaijan defeat and Armenian occupation of a chunk of Azerbaijan. In 2020, Azerbaijan started a new war and regained around 50% of it. Crucially, after the ceasefire, there are Russian troops stationed there.

1200px-Nagorno-Karabakh_war_map_(2020).s

A few days ago, an Ukrainian official asked for new fronts against the Russians to be opened in Kaliningrad (Russian exclave to the Baltic Sea), Transnistria (area internationally considered part of Moldova), Abhazia and South Osethia (Georgia), Nagorno-Karabah (claimed by Armenia) and the Kuril Islands (contested by Japan) (1). Somehow mirroring this, a Polish general recently said Poland has a historical claim to Kalinigrand (2). Russia is an empire, and like empires, its peripheries are full of instability and frozen conflicts, however, it would be better if they do not escalate into bigger things. :green:

fsu-breakaway-territories.png?itok=itdig

Better to not escalate anything, it would be a disaster.

Magui

@FfFfFfFF go figure what's happening in Putin's head, maybe he will concentrate on Donbas and say that it was his objective all along, when in fact he destroyed multiple cities from different places in Ukraine. And what about Mariupol? The devastation and suffering he cause there and the other cities in the south. I just want to know the consequences for Putin, nothing more, the consequences for all the destruction, killing and suffering cause by is hideous decision. Also for how long is he going to attack Ukraine? Cause if he is recruiting more soldiers, that isn't a good sine, it was rather a miscalculation from his part. 

• Like 1
Ronk
1 hour ago, Magui said:

@Ronk honestly I'm just doing my job. I work there a few hours. And now thinking about it, I'm the lucky one, cause it gives me the opportunity to help with more proximity ...idk how to explain it, this war makes you feel sad and powerless and with this kids it makes me feel i can make some difference and try to make them feel happy and accepted. I always thought like that, but the older i get, the more i think that when you have the chance to help anyone, you help yourself,  it's bright your day and brings you happiness too.  

Heros always say they're just doing their job.  :heart:   And you have a lot of Gaga in you.  :tea:

The work you are doing is priceless beyond words.

Ronk
1 hour ago, Magui said:

@FfFfFfFF go figure what's happening in Putin's head, maybe he will concentrate on Donbas and say that it was his objective all along, when in fact he destroyed multiple cities from different places in Ukraine. And what about Mariupol? The devastation and suffering he cause there and the other cities in the south. I just want to know the consequences for Putin, nothing more, the consequences for all the destruction, killing and suffering cause by is hideous decision. Also for how long is he going to attack Ukraine? Cause if he is recruiting more soldiers, that isn't a good sine, it was rather a miscalculation from his part. 

If Putin is convicted of war crimes he could go to prison when caught.  Many people convicted of war crimes went to prison.    Slobodan Milošević was one, and among the charges against him were "attacks on civilians; destruction or willful damage done to historic monuments and institutions dedicated to education or religion; unlawful attacks on civilian objects."  Sounds a lot like Putin doesn't it?

Ideally, Russia would have to pay for the reconstruction of Ukraine.  But I'm dreaming because what is fair rarely happens.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
FfFfFfFF
1 hour ago, Magui said:

I wouldn't be surprised if they don't know they want at this point themselves, and I also don't doubt Putin is being lied to. I guess what will happen next depends on whether or not he believes that he can save face and pretend it was Donbas the area he wanted all along (when in fact it wasn't). Putin wanted Russia to be seen as a superpower, but what he accomplished with this war is the reverse.

Honestly though, he can have Donbas and I believe Ukraine should peacefully ceade it to him if he ask for the sake of ending the war. Zelensky also said he agrees with Ukraine's neutrality. It's also clear Ukraine won't end with its 1991 borders, so so an ideal compromise, from both parties's view would be to: 1) allow most of Ukraine to exist as an independent outside NATO and EU; 2) ceade Donbas and Crimea to Russia; 3) allow regions in Western Ukraine to hold refendums to join other EU and NATO members in the region (i.e: Poland, Slovakia, Hungary or Romania). It's clear that Russia won't allow Ukraine as a whole to be integrated in the Western bloc, so at the very least they should allow parts of its territory to decide whether or not they want to become part of EU/ NATO through joining one of NATO's current members.

Edited by FfFfFfFF
  • Thanks 1
Magui
36 minutes ago, Ronk said:

Heros always say they're just doing their job.  :heart:   And you have a lot of Gaga in you.  :tea:

The work you are doing is priceless beyond words.

I only accept the part that I  have some Gaga in me :kiss: :yay:. Cause I love every word she uses to spread kindness, talk about the importance of kindness, cause i honestly believe in it and try to live up to it.

• Love 1
Magui
17 minutes ago, FfFfFfFF said:

I wouldn't be surprised if they don't know they want at this point themselves, and I also don't doubt Putin is being lied to. I guess what will happen next depends on whether or not he believes that he can save face and pretend it was Donbas the area he wanted all along (when in fact it wasn't). Putin wanted Russia to be seen as a superpower, but what he accomplished with this war is the reverse.

Honestly though, he can have Donbas and I believe Ukraine should peacefully ceade it to him if he ask for the sake of ending the war. Zelensky also said he agrees with Ukraine's neutrality. It's also clear Ukraine won't end with its 1991 borders, so so an ideal compromise, from both parties's view would be to: 1) allow most of Ukraine to exist as an independent outside NATO and EU; 2) ceade Donbas and Crimea to Russia; 3) allow regions in Western Ukraine to hold refendums to join other EU and NATO members in the region (i.e: Poland, Slovakia, Hungary or Romania). It's clear that Russia won't allow Ukraine as a whole to be integrated in the Western bloc, so at the very least they should allow parts of its territory to decide whether or not they want to become part of EU/ NATO through joining one of NATO's current members.

I'm seeing on the news, that Putin was misinformed and now has a big problem to solve. But im also seeing that he is repositioning his troups and recruiting more, so idk what that means in terms of ending the invasion. Also some people say that it's crucial to Putin to save face, like it's needed to let him save face (and i hate that, it's like letting him get it way, it means that there's no chance to making him accountable for the destruction he caused). At this point i already see that Ukraine will have to give territory to Russia. My question do people in Donbass want be Russians? Also Mariupol will have to go to Russia, after all that (it's a shame). And what more cities in the south does he want? And Zelensky will agree with the prohibition of trying to get in the UE? About the part where parts of the Ukraine join other countries, idk, do they want that? After all they feel Ukrainians, like when the war started i always thought that everything would depend on  their national feeling, being Ukrainians, and so far they want their country. But honestly idk, the more destruction, death happens probably people just want a life in peace. 

• Like 1
Ronk

It was on the news a few days ago that more military equipment arrives into Ukraine from NATO countries every day.  This includes anti tank drones and anti aircraft missiles.  It seems to me that very shortly Ukraine will be destroying more tanks and shooting down more aircraft.  Maybe giving concessions to Putin at this point is premature.  Maybe the only concession could be to give the people of Donbass a choice of joining Russia or not.  I find it hard to believe that Ukraine would agree to never join NATO.  NATO membership would be their only security going forward, the only thing that keeps Ukraine from staying under Putin's thumb.  And I don't think Ukrainians would ever agree to becoming part of other countries.

FfFfFfFF
7 hours ago, Magui said:

I'm seeing on the news, that Putin was misinformed and now has a big problem to solve. But im also seeing that he is repositioning his troups and recruiting more, so idk what that means in terms of ending the invasion. Also some people say that it's crucial to Putin to save face, like it's needed to let him save face (and i hate that, it's like letting him get it way, it means that there's no chance to making him accountable for the destruction he caused). At this point i already see that Ukraine will have to give territory to Russia. My question do people in Donbass want be Russians? Also Mariupol will have to go to Russia, after all that (it's a shame). And what more cities in the south does he want? And Zelensky will agree with the prohibition of trying to get in the UE? About the part where parts of the Ukraine join other countries, idk, do they want that? After all they feel Ukrainians, like when the war started i always thought that everything would depend on  their national feeling, being Ukrainians, and so far they want their country. But honestly idk, the more destruction, death happens probably people just want a life in peace. 

Parts of the population certainly want to be part of Russia there. It's really hard to say if they are a significant minority or even a plurality/majority, and if so, where specifically, but many identify as Russians in the south-eastern corner of Ukraine. There are pro-Russians attitudes among the general population (altough the brutality of the invasion might have made some rethink their choice). Similarily, the Western part of Ukraine is very pro-European and ingrainted in the European system in terms of values and way of being.