Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
music news

Joni Mitchell Also Removing Her Music From Spotify

Kalinda

Featured Posts

Kalinda

The singer-songwriter posted a statement to her website Friday night (January 28), which reads in full:

"I’ve decided to remove all my music from Spotify. Irresponsible people are spreading lies that are costing people their lives. I stand in solidarity with Neil Young and the global scientific and medical communities on this issue."

Young had requested the removal of his work earlier in the week, citing Spotify’s role in “spreading fake information about vaccines” by hosting Joe Rogan’s podcast. The platform followed through on Young’s request on Wednesday.

https://pitchfork.com/news/joni-mitchell-says-shes-removing-her-music-from-spotify-in-solidarity-with-neil-young/

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HuffsAhoy

Vine Ok GIF

I'll still be paying for Spotify Premium every month :coffee:

You remind me that it's such a wonderful thing to love.

Bonkers

Spotify lost 4 billion in market value in the last week and so many users are cancelling they had to temporarily shut down cancellations because their customer service can not keep up with the customer fury.

Joe Rogan has done too many drugs and is a little too good at making conspiracy seem plausible, but I can't quite hate him even though I see how dangerous he is.  I'm not sure deplatforming him from Spotify would do much other than give him credbility as a conspiracy theorist. 

But whatever, I love seeing companies get f*cked, so I'm here for it.

I recommend YouTube music - you get pretty much everything you get on Spotify, plus you remove ads (including pre-roll) from youtube which is priceless if you watch youtube a lot.

Remember to like and subscribe, and click on the bell icon to get the latest updates

Kalinda
3 minutes ago, dojo said:

what's happening w spotify? 

They bought the exclusive rights to Joe Rogan's podcast and are allowing him to spread lies about vaccines. Spotify said he has not broken their policy against misinformation and won't act, so Neil Young and now Joni Mitchell decided they're pulling all their music as a response.

Alannah

I really appreciate the sentiment of those artists (even though it also feels loaded as a PR grab, but what isn't when you're a celebrity, I suppose) - but I believe Spotify has a contract with that a-hole and his stupid podcast. Unless Spotify wants to take that legal hit AND revenue hit (unfortunately I don't think these pulls will prevent them from making money), they're not going to cancel it.

Edited to add: I would keep my Premium account and have mad respect for them if they did. But I don't think they will.

HuffsAhoy
5 minutes ago, Bonkers said:

plus you remove ads (including pre-roll) from youtube which is priceless if you watch youtube a lot.

tumblr_m7pzimLczg1qakrb3.gif

This is good to know because I spend a lot of time on YT

You remind me that it's such a wonderful thing to love.

10 minutes ago, Kalinda said:

They bought the exclusive rights to Joe Rogan's podcast and are allowing him to spread lies about vaccines. Spotify said he has not broken their policy against misinformation and won't act, so Neil Young and now Joni Mitchell decided they're pulling all their music as a response.

oh, ok 

so people is cancelling their spotify accounts? 

BlingNotTheMusic

Nooo! Gosh I hope more legends don't remove their music :messga: even though I support them!

Kalinda
10 minutes ago, dojo said:

oh, ok 

so people is cancelling their spotify accounts? 

Yeah, some people are canceling and some artists are pissed that Spotify won't act against misinformation on their exclusive podcasts. So far, Joni and Neil Young are the only ones to actually remove their music from Spotify, we'll see if more follow. 

Good! Hehe I love this 

Other than their obvious ethical issues, Spotify has the worst quality out of all the major streaming services. Their playlists are honestly the only thing that sets them apart. I know some artists have commented on the diminished quality of their music (specifically on Spotify) 

Rocketno10

That means I have to quit Spotify too…. I literally have a tattoo of her that’s how much I love and admire her

Kalinda
4 minutes ago, HIM820 said:

Good! Hehe I love this 

Other than their obvious ethical issues, Spotify has the worst quality out of all the major streaming services. Their playlists are honestly the only thing that sets them apart. I know some artists have commented on the diminished quality of their music (specifically on Spotify) 

It's weird because Spotify announced their lossless tier almost a year ago and it still isn't available. Meanwhile, Tidal, Amazon Music, Deezer and Apple Music all have lossless tiers.

Archived