• Created
  • Last Reply
M i K E Y
7 hours ago, proxy said:

Madonna ended Penn long time ago, and toxic masculinity :teehee: 

Exactly :reductive:

Bradley
22 hours ago, Pennywise said:

I think your view is as respectful as you can put an idea that seems to be extremely outdated at best. I don't agree with it obviously, but can you also explain "why" you see value in traditional masculinity? I think the reason should be important here. Because, while from a completely hedonistic/materialistic viewpoint, I enjoy "masculine" men, I think "masculinity" as a societal value does not do any good to men except for forbidding them from actually being able to express themselves. 

I don't mean to say "express femininity" by saying express themselves, by the way. It is just that, from a societal viewpoint again, "feelings" are perceived as "feminine", and the forced stoicism - forced no matter what, because that's how men socialize - harms men way more than they realize. 

And as a concept I also think that masculinity is strongly tied to the sexist notion that "feminine traits are bad/weak/etc." too. You see this in societal perceptions of "strong women" and "weak men". Men who attain "feminine qualities" are perceived as lesser, whereas women who become "one of the boys" are often viewed as "cool" and "strong". 

Yes I see your point. But it wasn't the extreme ends of masculinity that I see value in. Anytime masculinity becomes toxic, both to others and to the self, I am ready to denounce it, that includes forced stoicism. I actually agree with your use of the word "forced" because it connotes that damage has been done to this person's psychological health. This also means I see some value in a healthy degree of stoicism. You know stoicism (the reasonably healthy kind) is just another way to say "People can do hard things", which when said by the gay icon Lady Gaga herself, sounds much less contestable. I know it's a fine line between "reasonable stoicism" and "forced stoicism" and some people can easily go overboard to the latter, but it doesn't mean the former doesn't exist or is unattainable. I think it exists in people like Bradley Cooper and Chris Evans, who I think do still see value in traditional masculinity themselves, which there's nothing wrong with imo.

I believe your statement "Masculinity does not do any good to men" is too strong. This means that if this attribute went extinct tomorrow, we would have world peace and all the bad in the world would be miraculously gone just by virtue of that disappearance. There are many problematic aspects of masculinity for sure, and I am as ready to denounce them as you are, but I believe if practised well, there are many aspects of masculinity that should and can be celebrated.

I think at the end of the day, what I'm ready to say is, masculinity should be improved, not erased. And femininity should be celebrated more, not replace masculinity.

Cello

Imagine being alive in 2022 and still believing in any of the kind of crap this loser Penn is saying. 

she/her 👹🖤 | 🚫Tabloid Junkie🎶

Emigrante
On 1/28/2022 at 9:59 PM, Reality said:

Not people YAAASing and Thanking the OP :triggered:

Misogyny at its best. Heh.

Sugar, spice, and everything nice.

Cowards!!! Your bits of fabric are terrifying!!

200.gif

...ıllıllı c h e r r y c h e r r y b o o m b o o m ıllıllı...

Chromatica Island

Who cares, as a bi/pan woman I like feminine men, masculine men, trans men, enby people, trans women, feminine women, masculine women, I like it all, gender is a social construct, ok? Let people live:samanthac:

Any/All Pronouns, Genderfluid🏳‍⚧

Emigrante

There’s nothing such as being too feminine or too masculine. It’s just stereotypes that are so damaging to human beings. I mean, it’s so sad that some people still think that way and it’s very often the majority of them. Society construction is so wrong in so many points. Why would somebody even consider that a thing, really. I know my point of view is very utopian, but I still cannot believe the things we have to cope with in 21st century. 

Sugar, spice, and everything nice.

Archived