celeb

Billie Eilish under fire for free labour fan art contest

Teletubby

Featured Posts

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't get the anger,

If billie's decided to go to a dedigner and ask him to design the merch, he would probabbly get paid and thats it, he won't get any extra percentages because it's his art on the merch.

Does the designer that will win get any prize other than the chance  to design her merch? Cause if so, I really don't get the anger...

TortureMeOnReplay
18 hours ago, Naak Le Vaar said:

I mean she signed off on it, even if the label wanted her to do it shes famous now, not a lowly aspiring beginning artist forced to blindly follow the labels wishes. Shes partly to blame also.

A record contract doesn't just magically change once you hit #1. Gaga was indebted to Interscope even around ARTPOP/Joanne. If they both got pretty standard contracts (which is likely), they don't have a say in their merch. Doja Cat herself has spoken on how bad her merch is. 

15 hours ago, StarstruckIllusion said:

Did anyone actually read that paragraph? The fact that Billie owns all entries she gets is blatantly false - it’s literally the second sentence. All that green highlight says is that she’s free to essentially make edits of them - but not revenue fortunately. If her team were to make designs off of them, they could be sued for it.

She’ll only own what the winners will create, and while a $10k prize is cute, they should give out royalties at the same time frame as Billie gets them - aka as long as the merch is on sale. Adobe can definitely afford it. 

Adobe isn't paying for the winners, directly at least. They paid to have their name slapped on an art contest because they make tools for that industry and agreed to promote it/the artist. 

Togekiss
4 hours ago, berlinforme said:

She might not be doing that specifically but let's not pretend the quality of that overpriced chromatica merch was great. :wtfga:

I’m not talking about how merch in general is overpriced, we all know that. But she didn’t use the art from the adobe contest to put on said merch.

bring on that pecan pie

Naak Le Vaar
5 hours ago, TortureMeOnReplay said:

A record contract doesn't just magically change once you hit #1. Gaga was indebted to Interscope even around ARTPOP/Joanne. If they both got pretty standard contracts (which is likely), they don't have a say in their merch. Doja Cat herself has spoken on how bad her merch is. 

Adobe isn't paying for the winners, directly at least. They paid to have their name slapped on an art contest because they make tools for that industry and agreed to promote it/the artist. 

Being indebted is different from selling merch. I don't see any signs of Billie being indebted. 

Lmao they blocked my signature

On 1/28/2022 at 11:09 PM, DoremonLove said:

But gaga didnt use the art for merchandise hows it same

My bigger issue with Gaga (the team?) is the insult of her using her platform currently (if the last few years describe as such) solely to leech off the fanbase while basically disregarding us completely. Her automated message approach to the same 'competition', regardless of what was done with the art, is just as ridiculous to me considering how our fanbase is overflowing with talented individuals.

On 1/29/2022 at 1:54 AM, NCgaga said:

Now y’all know she did that with good Intentions. But yeah, the record companies should be paying artists for this stuff. 

At the very least promote fan art on social media, at the very least the artists get visibility and bigger reach, do something.

Archived