💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
other

Damon Albarn: “Taylor Swift doesn’t write her own songs"

Teletubby

Featured Posts

Teletubby

Damon Albarn has addressed the fact that Taylor Swift doesn’t write all her own songs, saying that her co-writing approach is at odds with his “traditionalist” view on songwriting.

The Blur and Gorillaz frontman, and soloist in his own right, was speaking in a new interview when he highlighted what he argued are “big” differences between acts who write their own songs, such as Billie Eilish, verses those who seek input from others.

After it was suggested to him that Swift is an “excellent songwriter”, he said that she doesn’t write her own songs.

interviewer: She may not be to your taste, but Taylor Swift is an excellent songwriter.
Damon Albarn: She doesn’t write her own songs.

interviewer: Of course she does. Co-writes some of them.
Damon Albarn: That doesn’t count. I know what co-writing is. Co-writing is very different to writing. I’m not hating on anybody, I’m just saying there’s a big difference between a songwriter and a songwriter who co-writes. Doesn’t mean that the outcome can’t be really great. And some of the greatest singers — I mean, Ella Fitzgerald never wrote a song in her life. When I sing, I have to close my eyes and just be in there. I suppose I’m a traditionalist in that sense. A really interesting songwriter is Billie Eilish and her brother. I’m more attracted to that than to Taylor Swift. It’s just darker — less endlessly upbeat. Way more minor and odd. I think she’s exceptional.

source source

Taylor responds:

Damon Albarn responds:

Jack Antonoff

i'm just a baby and @Juanlittlem is my ❀*·ꕤ. ☁️eternal enemy🌩️。˚❀

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
lady siwa
1 minute ago, Teletubby said:

"A really interesting songwriter is Billie Eilish and her brother. I’m more attracted to that than to Taylor Swift. It’s just darker – less endlessly upbeat. Way more minor and odd. I think she’s exceptional.”

is this not..... co-writing too?

Night Vision

So he says that co-writing isn't the same as writing? Then says that he loves the songs written by Billie Eilish AND her brother? Make it make sense :laughga:

Cameltoe Chariot
1 minute ago, lady siwa said:

is this not..... co-writing too?

I think he's defining Billie and her brother as a unit who consistently write together, rather than an artist who shops around from writer to writer, producer to producer, and then adding to the product they create.

That being said... k? Why is he only focusing on women in pop, and why is saying being "upbeat" is less artistic? He sounds f*cking lame tbh :awkney:

I hate that people have to say things like this. Why did you even bring this up. Just say "yes she is" and move on and talk about your songwriting process being very personal and private to you and how you don't like co-writers. It's not that deep. 

Taylor and Jack? Fake! Billie and Finneas? Slay mamas

not to mention Taylor writing majority of Red by herself… among other songs. sit down old man 

edengowon

the standard edition of speak now was written entirely by her and nobody else. he needs to shut up.

the artist formerly known as melancholia

Edginess is an illness, in Chromatica no one person is more special than another.

fragment-fragment--bul-uh...scab-uh..fragment-foot, bullet fragment foot bich!

nswain1110

This annoys me endlessly. Taylor swift comes to co writers with fully formed melody’s  and lyrics. She brings so much to the table WHEN she brings in a co-writer and they praise her talent. Otherwise she has PLENTY of songs she’s written completely on her own with just a piano or guitar. Speak Now was her first album with zero co writes and she did that because her critics, like this dude, were crapping on her for working with co writers on some of her work. Taylor Swift is one of the best songwriter of this generation and homeboy can stay mad about it. 

Follow me on Instagram! https://www.instagram.com/natethetrailhunter/

RudraCNG

As far as I know... doesn't Taylor write A LOT of her songs by herself? Without any cowriter I mean.

And it's that tendency to label as a "writer" even if they just wrote music and not lyrics. Idk if it's just an American thing, but where I live we usually have two different categories: Lyrics and Music.

Very strange take ! 

I honestly think that while you may write songs alone, there obviously is a benefit on having a second opinion (Billies Brother or Tays Co-Prod. etc.). I would get his point if she held writing camps and then changed 2 words and then proclaimed to be ‚the songwriter of our generation‘ - but Taylor has always been very transparent with her Songwriting Process (via Docus) and after all, Billie + Brother are two people too. 

⟡ ⋆ ˚。⋆🦢⋆ ˚。⋆⟡

Archived