Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Was ARTPOP a pre-cursor to Hyperpop?

Dojo

Was ARTPOP a pre-cursor to hyperpop?  

165 members have voted

1. 1. Was ARTPOP a pre-cursor to Hyperpop?

Featured Posts

AlexanderMagno

You could argue about ARTPOP's intelligent production, and how it is unique in the way it approaches the role of production in creating a song.

But claiming it is a precursor to hyperpop is such an American-centered vision of music evolution that completely ignores UK's incredibly rich music scene. 

I find Hyperdub artists the true precursors of PC Music artists, and consequently hyperpop.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Anderson123

I wouldn’t say ARTPOP the album as in the music itself but Gaga for sure had an influence on this wave of artists, especially those in the LGBT+ community. Maybe not all of them but in some way she has. 

Anderson123
5 minutes ago, dojo said:

how so? :oprah:

Because.. it's karma bich! :applause: ah ah ah ah ahh ah ah ah ahh. :applause:you be my BFF.

3 minutes ago, Anderson123 said:

Because.. it's karma bich! :applause: ah ah ah ah ahh ah ah ah ahh. :applause:you be my BFF.

giphy.webp?cid=6c09b952a909f2e1dace23cb7

Battle 4 Ur Life
52 minutes ago, dojo said:

how so? :oprah:

I think mainly the bassy beat and faux-shallow lyrics. but you can disagree at will seeing you lol my comment. you can have your own opinion and I don’t care.

"We own the Downtown, hear our sound."

1 hour ago, Battle 4 Ur Life said:

I think mainly the bassy beat and faux-shallow lyrics. but you can disagree at will seeing you lol my comment. you can have your own opinion and I don’t care.

:interestinga:

should we exercise kindness and thrive in sympathy for others? 

Fashionofhissteven

Im Sure In The Delulu Mulitverse Her Album Was Called HYPERPOP And The Genre Is Called ARTPOP

On 1/25/2022 at 10:08 PM, dojo said:

:interestinga:

should we exercise kindness and thrive in sympathy for others? 

why don't you go and set an example :usrs:

Well obviously musically it is not but I think it being an uber maximalist album from a main pop girl helped prep the market for hyperpop to cross into the mainstream. But I think BTW did that as well. BTW and AP both have a lot of ideas to them that don’t really get woven together so much as smashed together. You hear a frenetic energy and, with ARTPOP in particular, a kind of camp vacuousness that a dec amount of the biggest hyperpop has.

So musically, eh I’d say not so much but in terms of getting the popular market primed for some more manic music? Yeah, I’d argue Gaga’s presence as a whole did that. You can see where ARTPOP specifically played a role but on the whole I think it’s Gaga’s impact not restricted to one album in particular.

On 1/25/2022 at 9:53 AM, AlexanderMagno said:

You could argue about ARTPOP's intelligent production, and how it is unique in the way it approaches the role of production in creating a song.

But claiming it is a precursor to hyperpop is such an American-centered vision of music evolution that completely ignores UK's incredibly rich music scene. 

I find Hyperdub artists the true precursors of PC Music artists, and consequently hyperpop.

Yeah exactly. No shock that the biggest hyperpop artists are basically all UK-born :laughga:

Archived