Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Was ARTPOP a pre-cursor to Hyperpop?

Dojo

Was ARTPOP a pre-cursor to hyperpop?  

165 members have voted

1. 1. Was ARTPOP a pre-cursor to Hyperpop?

Featured Posts

i always thought it was not the case but some opinions are making me question it :partysick:

you might remember how Charli XCX tweeted last week that she helped create a new genre, HYPERPOP. 

well some users here seem to think that ARTPOP played a big role in the further developing of the subgenre...

ARTPOP has been a named a major pre-cursor to the hyperpop boom by multiple reputable publications.

ARTPOP It’s very maximalist, unexpected electronic productions for the time, genre-bending and genre-hopping… a lot of it to me feels like it fits right is as a backstep to current hyperpop. 

credits: @Meat @HausOfAntonio

Honest question, can we start crediting ARTPOP in part for the hyperpop boom? this would be huge. 

i am not very versed in music but i love to learn, 'till now i used to think ARTPOP was pure EDM, pop dance. So i'm here for honest answers and interesting insights.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Gagaism

I don’t think so, I feel like the “Hyper” aspect of ARTPOP went more towards to EDM than to pop. 

• Dojo changed the title to was ARTPOP a pre-cursor to Hyperpop?

I see why parts of that could be true. I think certain songs and hooks may have seasoned what could be accepted in a hyperpop song. For example, the more upbeat parts in Venus, the synths in Applause, and the wackiness of everything going on in Aura correlate with some popular techniques in hyperpop. I don’t think it helped create the genre as much as just it seasoned our ears to appreciate it more. Charli had never even listened to ARTPOP until somewhat recently so she was going in her own direction anyway, which would lead to the creation of the genre. 

• Dojo changed the title to was ARTPOP a pre-cursor to hyperpop?
FameMonster01

As much as I love ARTPOP, it is definitely not a pre-cursor to Hyperpop.

Firstly, ARTPOP is strictly an EDM album, there is 0 elements of hyperpop production in it.

Even when ARTPOP was released in late 2013, it already felt a bit late to put out (I wouldn't exactly say dated) but the peak of such EDM music was in 2011 and 2012 (think of LMFAO, Kesha, Britney Spears, David Guetta, Ne-Yo)

Now, I do believe that the ARTPOP act II WOULD have been a pre-cursos to hyperpop, as it's experimental

ARTPOP in itself is just EDM-pop music, which to GP felt dated at the release

• Dojo changed the title to Was ARTPOP a pre-cursor to Hyperpop?
streamstarcrossed

Yes, if we ignore all the actual hyperpop music that existed before ARTPOP, or just pretend that hyperpop and edm infused pop is the same thing. Slay revisionist history! 

4 minutes ago, streamstarcrossed said:

Yes, if we ignore all the actual hyperpop music that existed before ARTPOP, or just pretend that hyperpop and edm infused pop is the same thing. Slay revisionist history! 

Confused Thinking GIF

i can't tell if you agree or not lmao

1 hour ago, SEANGT said:

wow, this is an amazing read, i'm only half way trough it but they went deep into details and sources. I will finish it later, thank you so much for sharing this. I reccomend everyone that is slightly curious about the topic to read this (especially @Meat :sis: )

elijahfan

If anything, Gaga in general can be credited as pushing other pop artists into a more maximalist image and sound, but I really don't think ARTPOP in particular has anything to do with hyperpop.

37 minutes ago, AUARAOFSHEISSE said:

omg i can believe some replies in this thread says that pc music can be traced back to Madonna's old days and also M.I.A? that is crazy! i will listen to those albumes of hers that they are referencing

I was literally thinking of this same idea this morning while listening to ARTPOP.

After giving it some thought, I don't think it was necessarily a precursor to hyper-pop, but I think it encouraged many pop artists to think outside of the box and be more innovative with their music. Really, Lady Gaga in general is a testament to that, not just ARTPOP. 

I also think ARTPOP had more of a trap sound than hyper-pop, too (e.g Swine, Stache, etc.).

Archived