💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Was ARTPOP a pre-cursor to Hyperpop?

Dojo

Was ARTPOP a pre-cursor to hyperpop?  

165 members have voted

1. 1. Was ARTPOP a pre-cursor to Hyperpop?

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, SHALLOW said:

Can yall stop with this Hyperpop bs? Just enjoy any music that you like without having to constantly wonder about who invented it. Also if you mean Hyperpop as in Charli's or Arca's music then i sure hope ARTPOP had nothing to do with it :huntyga:

well at least you answered the main question in the end :ladyhaha:

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
BlingNotTheMusic

Yes, just listen to monsters complain about "Swine". It's literally a blueprint.

And if you disagree, you hate homosexuals :flower:

alsemanche

No

1 hour ago, dojo said:

i know @alsemanche is a Björk stan. Any songs that i should listen from Björk with hyperpop elements? 

1 hour ago, MessyTop said:

Bjork isn't hyperpop at all though. These two songs are very techno and industrial-influenced + clear influences by her punk roots before she went solo. 

If we want to talk about hyperpop influences from music icons, I would cite Kate Bush because she was quite wild with her sound, especially with her album The Dreaming for example. AG Cook (aka THE hyperpop producer whom no one has mentioned here yet somehow) has cited her as an influence: "A. G. Cook has personally cited Max Tundra, J Dilla and Kate Bush as major influences on the PC Music aesthetic." 

I really think people need to read up about hyperpop before deciding on influences and precursors. Not every weird sound we hear in music is hyperpop.

Soft, soothing, and succulent

BlingNotTheMusic
4 minutes ago, alsemanche said:

Not every weird sound we hear in music is hyperpop.

Oh. Fooled me :sharon:

Crescent Bloom

A.G. Cook had an instagram Q&A where he shared that Madonna's Music album (mainly it's production from William Orbit & Mirwais) was something he found to be inspirational.

I wouldn't say it's the first spark of hyperpop, but sounds + production choices in Madonna's Music and American Life (mainly the electronica + trance elements) feel more in line to the hyperpop genre to me.

i'm actually going to credit ARTPOP for using trap infused beats in pop before it hit the mainstream with ariana grande, you can hear them in MANiCURE and JnD

mother, what must i do?

Pennywise

While it was a good album, ARTPOP wasn't all that you're trying to make it now sweeties :laughga:

So, in the wise words of the great Violet Chachki:

no-violet.gif

YOUR GOD IS NOT HERE MICHAEL NOR WILL HE EVER BE

enissa11
29 minutes ago, Crescent Bloom said:

In my opinion, absolutely not. ARTPOP's most electronic elements coincide with EDM.

stop with this, the only songs that are more typical "EDM" leaning in ARTPOP are only aura, donatella and swine, and still they have a lot of other elements that are very distant from it, in any case EDM is a very broad term and it can be applied to any song that have dance beats with electronic elements, ARTPOP is just an electronic pop album infused with a lot of genres within electronic music like techno (venus), drum and bass (applause), trance(ARTPOP and aura) and some experimentation within the electropop frame,  and a lot of others genres, hip-hop(jewel'n drugs), rock(manicure), metal(mary jane holland), r&b (do what u want) disco (fashion!) etc etc

Mad Architect of Light

automatic

this thread gets made like once a month and i think its safe to say it was not. hyperpop and electronic dance pop are not the same thing

1 hour ago, alsemanche said:

No

Bjork isn't hyperpop at all though. These two songs are very techno and industrial-influenced + clear influences by her punk roots before she went solo. 

If we want to talk about hyperpop influences from music icons, I would cite Kate Bush because she was quite wild with her sound, especially with her album The Dreaming for example. AG Cook (aka THE hyperpop producer whom no one has mentioned here yet somehow) has cited her as an influence: "A. G. Cook has personally cited Max Tundra, J Dilla and Kate Bush as major influences on the PC Music aesthetic." 

I really think people need to read up about hyperpop before deciding on influences and precursors. Not every weird sound we hear in music is hyperpop.

46 minutes ago, Crescent Bloom said:

A.G. Cook had an instagram Q&A where he shared that Madonna's Music album (mainly it's production from William Orbit & Mirwais) was something he found to be inspirational.

I wouldn't say it's the first spark of hyperpop, but sounds + production choices in Madonna's Music and American Life (mainly the electronica + trance elements) feel more in line to the hyperpop genre to me.

25 minutes ago, Pennywise said:

While it was a good album, ARTPOP wasn't all that you're trying to make it now sweeties :laughga:

So, in the wise words of the great Violet Chachki:

no-violet.gif

6 minutes ago, automatic said:

this thread gets made like once a month and i think its safe to say it was not. hyperpop and electronic dance pop are not the same thing

stan twitter says otherwise

7 minutes ago, PrincessGUY said:

Am I seeing this same topic every week or am I losing my mind?

anyway, no. Again. 

you are losing your mind sweet tea.

Starmie25
6 hours ago, FameMonster01 said:

Even when ARTPOP was released in late 2013, it already felt a bit late to put out (I wouldn't exactly say dated) but the peak of such EDM music was in 2011 and 2012 (think of LMFAO, Kesha, Britney Spears, David Guetta, Ne-Yo)

EDM was still going in 2013/2014 too - Timber, #Selfie, Break Free, Clarity, Summer, Runaway etc. 

Starmie25

Why is everybody always giving EDM a bad name. It's such a glorious genre and ARTPOP did it real well, while still adding a lot of new styles in between - funk, disco, electronic, trap, rock etc

Sigh.. 

Archived