💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
other

Hermès sues creator over NFTs inspired by its Birkin bags

Teletubby

Featured Posts

Teletubby

metaberkin495_.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&w=618&h=410&crop=1
French luxury group Hermès has started legal proceedings against an American artist, Mason Rothschild, over virtual versions inspired by its famous Birkin bags.

Mason Rothschild creates digital art that he sells as NFTs.

He named the works depicting fanciful furry Birkin bags “MetaBirkins” and sold them on websites dedicated to selling NFTs.

In December, he sold one for a whopping $42,000:wtfga:

Hermès accused Rothschild of trying to profit from its trademarks.

Rothschild disagrees, comparing his use of the Birkin to Andy Warhol’s famed use of Campbell’s soup cans.

“Hermès’ claims are groundless,” Rothschild said in a statement on Instagram. “I am not creating or selling fake Birkin bags. I’ve made artworks … The First Amendment gives me the right to make and sell art depicting Birkin bags, just as it gave Andy Warhol the right to make and sell art depicting the Campbell’s soup cans.”

Rothschild added, “I won’t be intimidated.”

“The fact that I sell the art using NFTs doesn’t change the fact that it’s art. It's quite clear from reading Hermès's complaint that they don't understand what an NFT is, or what NFTs do.“

source source

Mason Rothschild's statement

sddf.jpg

i'm just a baby and @Juanlittlem is my ❀*·ꕤ. ☁️eternal enemy🌩️。˚❀

Chlorine Sevigny

Rooting for Hermès tbh. 

He’s ****ing up his case by talking about the metaverse… wherein Hermès itself would hold the exclusive right to create digital versions of its bags. What he’s doing would amount to counterfeit in that scenario. 

last name Rothschild like THE Rothschilds?? or he stole that too? Lol but I hope Hermes wins :diane:

RAMROD

About time. All these trash are also stealing artists works from online platforms and selling it as NFT for their own profits. 

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ✧*:・゚ unknown.. despair.. a lost (*´艸`*) ♡♡♡

RahrahWitch

"I took your brand and used it for profit but it's fine cause It's art :sis:"  

Oh my god every week there's a new level of stupid with these NFT idiots. :sharon:

not him referencing the soup cans, a piece of art created before digital copyright laws :billie:

mother, what must i do?

LostBoyfriend

Doesn't the artist have a point with the Bowie's and the soup can example??

She's creating digital art, not physical copies of Birkin bags... :huh:? Can someone explain me plis

I'm not expert but I'd guess Hermes would have a point saying people would get confused thinking those are Hermes official NFTs, when they're not. 

Joaco95
1 minute ago, LostBoyfriend said:

She's creating digital art, not physical copies of Birkin bags... :huh:? Can someone explain me plis

I'm not expert but I'd guess Hermes would have a point saying people would get confused thinking those are Hermes official NFTs, when they're not. 

Or maybe Hermes doesnt believe in NFT bullsht and doesnt want to be asocciate with that :bear:

3 minutes ago, LostBoyfriend said:

one really key point is andy's art was created before the ages of DMCA law :enigma:

mother, what must i do?

Archived