💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
celeb

Sia was suicidal and went to rehab after the backlash to her film

Teletubby

Featured Posts

Glamourpuss

I can understand that because the backlash was massive and I think anybody would have been hurt by that. 

LunaUniverse

I’m sorry she feels that way, but valid criticism for a film that you created isn’t something unreasonable.

1# Samoyed Stan

thatfoxyfeeling

I can’t help but feel torn because some of the backlash was justified except the people who just jumped on the bandwagon for the sake of ‘cancel culture’. I just hope she’s in a better place mentally and has learned from her mistakes, something we all do and should learn from. 

as an autistic person who's seen what "autistic tiktok" has become, full of fakers and semantic obsessed people, i think the backlash was a tad too much, but was it unwarranted when you're addressing a community unprovoked? she knew what she was doing, there's no way you claim to work on a movie and study a subject for 4 years and then just realize you associated with bad people and bad practices just after you're called out online, she's accountable, should reflect on what she's done, and lost a fan.

separated from all this drama, being suicidal is no light subject and i think she should take time off for herself if this got to her on a personal level, the internet is an unsufferable place to be in a time like that

Lana / Taylor / Madonna / Janet

Cameltoe Chariot
10 minutes ago, LunaUniverse said:

I’m sorry she feels that way, but valid criticism for a film that you created isn’t something unreasonable.

There was valid criticism, but it was absolutely weaponized by the mob of the terminally online that made her life a living hell.

I'm sorry but if you think an addict relapsing, experiencing suicidal thoughts and returning to rehab is a fair repercussion for making a problematic film (that was made with good intentions, might I add).... then you need to take a good look at yourself.

LunaUniverse
Just now, CameltoeKween said:

There was valid criticism, but it was absolutely weaponized by the mob of the terminally online that made her life a living hell.

I'm sorry but if you think an addict relapsing, attempting suicide and returning to rehab is a fair repercussion for making a problematic film (that was made with good intentions, might I add).... then you need to take a good look at yourself.

I never said she deserved any of that. You say she had good intentions making the film, then why couldn’t that apply to properly researching and understand the community that the movie is targeting? Actually trying to listen to the people who were hurt by it and making an effort to learn instead of throwing a social media tantrum would have de-escalated the situation sooner.

1# Samoyed Stan

10 minutes ago, CameltoeKween said:

I'm sorry but if you think an addict relapsing, experiencing suicidal thoughts and returning to rehab is a fair repercussion for making a problematic film (that was made with good intentions, might I add).... then you need to take a good look at yourself.

They didn't say any of that, they said criticism isn't unreasonable. period. her reaction is up to her window of tolerance to the backlash, and everyone got a different one, you can't just avoid making criticism of art in worry that every author will be suicidal over it, you're taking it too far the slippery slope logic

Lana / Taylor / Madonna / Janet

Cameltoe Chariot
1 minute ago, LunaUniverse said:

I never said she deserved any of that. You say she had good intentions making the film, then why couldn’t that apply to properly researching and understand the community that the movie is targeting? Actually trying to listen to the people who were hurt by it and making an effort to learn instead of throwing a social media tantrum would have de-escalated the situation sooner.

She can simultaneously have had good intentions in making the film AND have had a poor understanding of the issues she was trying to explore. She can be simultaneously be passionate about the experience and struggles of those with autism AND have bad sources of research that she put too much trust into.

As a casual fan who watched this unfold from the outside, I saw for every reasonable person that was trying to educate and correct Sia's mistakes there were 50 other people jumping on the bandwagon telling her to kill herself and that she should lose everything for making this film. I'm not sure why the focus is on how she could've reacted better to the criticism when it was OVERWHELMINGLY violent and negative.

You clearly have a very black and white approach to these things and you're obviously entitled to that, but a world without nuance or the benefit of doubt can be terrifyingly cruel - I can only hope you don't make a mistake one day in the future that puts you in the line of fire of a similar righteous mob.

Dr Fudge

This is why educating society on mental health and resilience matters and should be widespread. She was absolutely in the wrong for making the movie, but criticism resulting in suicidal ideation speaks to a bigger problem we have as a society. I hope she’s doing better.

Been a cuff touple, a puff bupple, a tough couple of years.

codymonster

I feel sick for her. The thing that bothered me most is she thought she was doing something good. She had talked with experts and was genuinely trying to tell a tale through the perspective of a severely autistic person, as they are not represented in movies often. 

I think education and understanding is so important, and for those who found it offensive, I am glad that they spoke up and began a conversation! Sia is such a loving human, and I think that through time, she would have acknowledged and found understanding, as she truly does so much for people who are different than others. 

However, as mentioned in previous comments, the education wasn't there for a vast number of people; it was just a hate mob, telling her was an ablest, that she was hateful, and that she doesn't deserve a career. This response, obviously made her defensive, as what human wants to be told they are hateful and evil. Then, through time, she processed the response, and it led to her almost killing herself.

If having someone almost off themselves is the price to pay for making a more understanding and loving world, than I don't want to be a part of it. It was sick, disgusting, and those that joined in the hate mob should be disgusted with themselves, because preaching love with hate is never the answer. 

CooterFritter

She made an incredibly insensitive and harmful movie, and her response to the backlash was awful. Sorry she had bad feelings about that and trauma. Her feelings are valid. Hopefully she learned a lot about being ableist and can remove herself from the conversation about autism, because clearly she doesn’t understand or belong in that conversation. She still hasn’t placed herself in a position of learning and regret. Seems she’s more upset about the backlash. 

LunaUniverse
10 minutes ago, CameltoeKween said:

She can simultaneously have had good intentions in making the film AND have had a poor understanding of the issues she was trying to explore. She can be simultaneously be passionate about the experience and struggles of those with autism AND have bad sources of research that she put too much trust into.

As a casual fan who watched this unfold from the outside, I saw for every reasonable person that was trying to educate and correct Sia's mistakes there were 50 other people jumping on the bandwagon telling her to kill herself and that she should lose everything for making this film. I'm not sure why the focus is on how she could've reacted better to the criticism when it was OVERWHELMINGLY violent and negative.

You clearly have a very black and white approach to these things and you're obviously entitled to that, but a world without nuance or the benefit of doubt can be terrifyingly cruel - I can only hope you don't make a mistake one day in the future that puts you in the line of fire of a similar righteous mob.

And those people have nothing to add to the conversation if they rely on death threats and should be called on that. That one actor that told her all the missteps this film took that could have been left on the cutting floor? They weren’t aggressive yet Sia didn’t have the thought to give empathy to them. As a filmmaker it is your job to take the steps to getting as much of your material as accurate as possible, and regular people can Google the downsides of things like restraint within a minute and learn why it’s so traumatizing. As a person on the spectrum that has dealt with such things, I understand why people are hurt. Empathy from both sides could have gone a long way.

1# Samoyed Stan

Sia girl… I respect you, I like your music, I get the struggles you been through. Maybe don’t release a movie if critical reception is going to affect you this much. Maybe don’t release an ableist movie period. I find it hard to believe that if this movie this shown to people before release, that no one would point out a concern 

Omegahedron

Poor woman. I'm not surprised. She's had a difficult life. Did anyone listen to the podcast she recorded with Louis Theroux?

Archived