• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Morphine Prince

• djfreemymind

• bionic

• Economy

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The thing is, the truth isn’t always comfortable. History isn’t always comfortable.  Laws like this are designed to erase our history. There’s nothing more to it. Conservatives would love to whit

If white people then could handle the seeing discrimination up close and personal, then there’s no reason to save white people now the discomfort from hearing about it.

Shipper

No Way Wtf GIF by Harlem

Huh?

💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕
  • Thanks 5
djfreemymind

GleefulOpenAsiandamselfly-max-1mb.gif

Master, play me your symphony; I will answer to anything. Take me on a trip,
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
OMonster

A law isn't needed here imo. White students shouldn't be made to feel uncomfortable, of course, but that's a very subjective thing and hard to legislate against. Ultimately, the realities - and lessons - of the past need to be taught and brought into the light, no matter how 'hard' that might be for white people to hear.

That said, I guess it's important to also recognise that the past is the past and to not hold current white people (especially young, impressionable students) responsible for historic injustices. But again, I don't think a law needs to be in place to ensure that's the case. 

At the end of the day, it benefits no one to send the message that white people are bad, which is what (I think?) this law sets out to avoid, albeit misguidedly. That only leads to further inequality, injustice and - as we all have seen - a rise in extremism. Most educators would agree and understand that, though, so to create red-tape that measures them in that regard is wrong and close to censorship in some ways. 

Edited by OMonster
subtext / fantasy
  • Like 7
LunaUniverse

If white people then could handle the seeing discrimination up close and personal, then there’s no reason to save white people now the discomfort from hearing about it.

1# Samoyed Stan
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 2
Morphine Prince
7 minutes ago, OMonster said:

Not sure if a law is needed here imo. White students shouldn't be made to feel uncomfortable, of course, but that's a very subjective thing and hard to legislate against. Ultimately, the realities - and lessons - of the past need to be taught and brought into the light, no matter how 'hard' that might be for white people to hear.

That said, I guess it's important to also recognise that the past is the past and to not hold current white people (especially young, impressionable students) responsible for historic injustices. But again, I don't think a law needs to be in place to ensure that's the case. 

At the end of the day, it benefits no one to send the message that white people are bad, which is what (I think?) this law sets out to avoid, albeit misguidedly. That only leads to further inequality, injustice and - as we all have seen - a rise in extremism. Most educators would agree and understand that, though, so to create red-tape that measures them in that regard is wrong and close to censorship in some ways. 

The thing is, the truth isn’t always comfortable. History isn’t always comfortable. 

Laws like this are designed to erase our history. There’s nothing more to it. Conservatives would love to whitewash all history because the truth about the United States and its history contradicts their American exceptionalism theory in which they base their political ideologies on at the moment. 

• Like 21
  • Thanks 6
bionic

How on Earth could you propose this bill and not see yourself as a racist?

You can't teach this stuff without white people being made uncomfortable.

You're either uncomfortable because you're ashamed of what your race has done (rightfully so) or ashamed because you agree with the racist actions and are unhappy its being taught in a negative light (which is despicable, and probably the discomfort this bill is thinking about lbr...) 

buy bionic
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 8
djfreemymind
3 minutes ago, Morphine Prince said:

The thing is, the truth isn’t always comfortable. History isn’t always comfortable. 

Laws like this are designed to erase our history. There’s nothing more to it. Conservatives would love to whitewash all history because the truth about the United States and its history contradicts their American exceptionalism theory in which they base their political ideologies on at the moment. 

THIS!!!! If Black and brown kids can feel the "discomforts" of racism and colorism on the daily, white kids can learn the discomforts of history.

I can assure you growing up in the public school system, that no educator in their right mind would ever intentionally or even accidentally cause white guilt. These are sensitive subjects. They start teaching you a little more in-depth about slavery and Civil Rights Movement in middle school, along with the Holocaust and other global diasporas. This is why Critical Race Theory should be a must in universities, and why we must invest in critical racialized analyses in our younger students. Everything is overtly racialized for BIPOC folks—and it's more covert for white folks but most of us don't realize that because "white = the status quo" in western culture. White tears, guilt, and shame doesn't get anyone free. 

Until we address this at an institutional level, white supremacy will reign. No shortcuts. Black Lives Matter.

Master, play me your symphony; I will answer to anything. Take me on a trip,
  • Thanks 5
dojo
34 minutes ago, bionic said:

How on Earth could you propose this bill and not see yourself as a racist?

You can't teach this stuff without white people being made uncomfortable.

You're either uncomfortable because you're ashamed of what your race has done (rightfully so) or ashamed because you agree with the racist actions and are unhappy its being taught in a negative light (which is despicable, and probably the discomfort this bill is thinking about lbr...) 

Edit.

Idk what type of "discomfort" they are thinking about so, i might b wrong.

Edited by dojo
HuffsAhoy

In essence, this means I couldn't teach any MLK speech or speech against racism. Black authors like Toni Morrison or Maya Angelou? Forget about it. The wonderful collection of Native American literature? Nope. Hell, I wouldn't be able to teach a lot of 20th century (modernist) writers because all they did was attack and critique a mostly white society. So glad I am no longer a teacher in Florida :saladga:

You remind me that it's such a wonderful thing to love.
  • Thanks 4
Morphine Prince
17 minutes ago, dojo said:

The reason they might feel shame is because the adults in their lives have made them feel that way. 

Learning history in raw form is essential. We cannot sugar coat the truth after a certain age. 

White shame, guilt etc. may also stem from the fact they KNOW they benefit from a white supremacist society and don’t want to feel that guilt.

Of course it’s not their fault, but erasing history to please your fragile feelings is also despicable. 

Edited by Morphine Prince
  • Thanks 4
RahrahWitch

I don't understand the logic behind this. You can't tip toe around teaching about discrimination, It's uncomfortable by nature to hear about. 

Humans have a long history of discrimination and violence, are we just supposed to not talk about these things?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
CoolTrainerTerry

Feelings? I thought us liberals were supposed to be the snowflakes. Oprah So What Is The Truth GIF

• Like 8
  • Thanks 5