MARRY THE NIGHT ANNIVERSARY T-SHIRT

science

Scientists have found the cause of Multiple Sclerosis

Supersonic

Featured Posts

Supersonic

Multiple sclerosis (MS) is an unpredictable condition — an autoimmune disease that attacks the central nervous system, the brain and spinal cord.  

It can be mild but can also turn into a lifelong disability, affecting a person's vision, arm or leg movement, sensation or balance. 

And until now researchers have not known conclusively what causes MS. There are treatments to make living with MS better, perhaps easier, but there is no cure.

But that may change now that researchers say they have found a link between Epstein-Barr-Virus and MS. That could open the door to better treatments and even preventative measures. 

In a study conducted in the United States, researchers say they found that the Epstein-Barr-Virus (EBV) was definitely associated with all but one of 801 cases of multiple sclerosis.  

The most important indicator appears to be that those people who had initially tested negative for EBV antibodies also tested negative for multiple sclerosis at the time of the blood sample. It was only after those people experienced an EBV infection that they developed MS, which was also then detected by the researchers.

So, the researchers seem confident there is a link between EBV and MS. What they still don't know, however, is EBV's precise mechanism — or what it does exactly to cause MS and why.

Full article: https://www.dw.com/en/multiple-sclerosis-caused-by-epstein-barr-virus-study/a-60413064

• YAAAS 3
  • Love 3
  • Shook 3
Gabi001

It's scary to hear, I caught Mononucleosis (disease caused by acute EBV infection) few months ago :bradley:

I'm not having fun tonight.
  • Shook 1
Mother of Puppies

a virus? :cryga: lord send help :bradley:

I'm a free womaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan
Lona Delery

well considering 98% of all ppl past the age of 40 are infected, this is pretty scary

but at the same time, this rules out EBV as the sole cause, doesnt it

Edited by Lona Delery
Sometimes it feels like I've got a war in my mind, I wanna get off but I keep riding the ride
  • Like 1
Economy

One of my brothers has this!

Edit: Responding to OPs statement "that may soon change" finding a link is a long way from a cure. If u think about it the vast majority of diseases we only treat and manage with daily medication we dont cure much at all with todays medical science whether its diabetes, high blood pressure, cholesterol problems etc etc. Weve known for decades what causes them and still no "cure" and an autoimune disease is more complex thsn the stuff i listed above

We can cure infections with antibiotics, sometimes cancer if caught very early before it spreads, stuff involving surgery like a tumour or remove apendix for appendicities if u can call removing an organ a cure. But the list of stuff we "cure" after all this time is still surprisingly small

Sometimes i think we imagine our medical science to be more advanced than it really is tbh

Edited by Economy
LaLa
4 minutes ago, Lona Delery said:

but at the same time, this rules out EBV as the sole cause, doesnt it

Yes, for sure! My husband has MS (and did have Mono/EBV as a teenager), and this link has been know/suspected and studied for a while. His neurologist has said that just getting Mono isn't enough, you also have to be genetically susceptible in some way, and that part hasn't been pinpointed yet. 

• Thanks 1
Lona Delery
1 minute ago, LaLa said:

Yes, for sure! My husband has MS (and did have Mono/EBV as a teenager), and this link has been know/suspected and studied for a while. His neurologist has said that just getting Mono isn't enough, you also have to be genetically susceptible in some way, and that part hasn't been pinpointed yet. 

oof im sorry to hear that :ohno: i really hope were gonna find a cure soon, MS is so scary

Sometimes it feels like I've got a war in my mind, I wanna get off but I keep riding the ride
  • Thanks 1