đź’“ DAWN OF CHROMATICA đź’“

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

ARUTW would never be a single

Akiki

Featured Posts

Delulu Rogers

I disagree. Shallow would have had its success no matter what and it makes no sense that she didn’t release it because she wanted to prepare the gp for chromatica when she was already doing ballads and piano songs for like 5 years straight. The only difference it would have made making it a single would be that it would play on the radio, achieving a higher chart position. Wasted opportunity imo

RichAssPiss

It was part of her Oscar play to never let the movie feel like a pop star vehicle similar to The Bodyguard. So she sacrificed having more hit songs from the soundtrack in order to put the emphasis on her performance in the film.  It's also why there was never a studio version of Shallow and she insisted only on releasing a movie version from the soundtrack. She was reluctant to let it be thought of as a Gaga song. 

The other possible reason was that ARUTW didn't need any single promotion. It received no push, none, and still peaked at #41 on the U.S. charts, going platinum in the process. It's music video has more views than John Wayne and Perfect Illusion combined. No use pouring money into creating a hit that was fine all by its own

Don't Call Me Gaga

4 hours ago, BiblicalS3NSE said:

Idk, most people were just "bleh" about Chromatica

I don't know where this narrative comes from because it certainly isn't supported by the actual facts and figures: 

#1 on Billboard 200 

Two Top 5 Billboard Hot 100 singles (Stupid Love, #4; ROM #1) 

30+ appearances on year-end lists

#1 on Billboard EDM albums year-end chart

Grammy, BBMA, and VMA award-winning album

Don't Call Me Gaga

migamiga

if asib was released prestreaming it would’ve smashed 10x harder. when the soundtrack dropped i really thought inla would end up being her signature ballad and thought it was a wasted opportunity but shallow fits the narrative of the movie better. at least she had her iconic soundtrack era a la bodyguard and titanic

Reality
5 hours ago, Meat said:

Unpopular opinion but ARUTW should’ve never been a single. The fact that it achieved so much despite being an album track makes it even more impressive. How many pop girls have an album track that has 1B streams, certified diamond in a major market and nominated for SOTY at the Grammys? Exactly. None.

I mean, but what's the argument that it shouldn't have been a single? It achieved all that (which is fantastic), but it could've done even more if it was a single.

The only argument that I could see someone making is that it could've been competition for Shallow, but idk, I would've loved if ARUTW got single treatment. 

🖤👹

Economy
5 hours ago, nswain1110 said:

Agreed - Shallow kept exploding in various markets and they decided to ride that wave all the way to the bank. Pushing ARUTW probably just didn’t make sense from a financial standpoint since it was already doing well w/ streaming, and concurrently with Shallows increasing popularity. Would’ve been cool to hear ARUTW on the radio though… 

In Portugal i heard it everyday when i went there on vacation :lolly:

Phantomhive

They didn't need to release ARUTW as a single for some people to already feel like they wanted more of the ASIB Gaga than pop Gaga. Just take a look at a top review on amazon from someone who tried to get into Gaga's music after watching ASIB

llll.png

Ultimately, ARUTW had the potential to be a lot bigger than it already is had it been given a proper single treatment which is better than trying to please these flippant people.

In I fly on wings of winter.

5 hours ago, JoanneMonster said:

wait it wasnt a single? I swear I heard it on the radio all the time

They played it in radios in Portugal but I think it was added cause it was trending on youtube at the time. Im not sure if European radios only play singles. 

nswain1110
17 hours ago, JustTea said:

ARUTW was all over the radio in Europe, almost as big radio hit as Shallow. :legend:

That's awesome - didn't know that! They didn't push it at all on US radio - only Shallow. 

Follow me on Instagram! https://www.instagram.com/natethetrailhunter/

Archived