💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Why I think Gaga and Tony will win AOTY

lavender blonde

Featured Posts

lavender blonde

Hi everyone. Since I've heard the news that L4S is nominated for AOTY, I immediately started to have a gut feeling that Gaga and Tony will win. I thought it through and there's some of my points why I think L4S will be AOTY:

1) L4S and Billie's Happier Than Ever would be the cheapest options for Recording Academy. L4S would be 7 Grammy's statuettes to produce and give, and Happier Than Ever would be like 5. Other nominated albums have a lot of musicians involved in their creating process, for instance, Kanye's Donda has like... I'm too lazy to count, but the list is LONG AF, looks like around 40-50 people? :laughga:

2) It's Tony's last album and after seeing how many nominations L4S got, it's clear that the Academy really wants to honour him.

3) I noticed that every few years Grammy's likes to give AOTY award to someone unexpected to win (I mean someone not so commercial and mainstream). The last artist like that probably was Beck in 2015 so some time has passed by :ohwell:  (I also wondered if Kacey in 2019 wasn't a bit like that, but since she's a country singer, she def was more mainstream than Beck, because in USA many people listen to country music.)

4) Jazz hasn't won in soooooooo long.

5) Vocally-wise, nobody from 2022 nominees comes even close to Gaga - and it's competely unbiased opinion.

6) Now take a closer look at TonyGa's opponents:

- "We Are" by Jon Batiste - Honestly, I have no idea who this guy is, I've never heard any of his songs. If any of you guys know about him and his art, feel free to comment and share your opinions if Jon has some chances of winnig AOTY. Why or why not. The only thing I know it's that he has a lot of co-creators.

- "Justice" by Justin Bieber - Do I even have to comment this one? During my early teens I was a huge belieber, but let's be honest - it would be such a scam if Justin won AOTY with this album.

- "Planet Her" by Doja Cat - I fear she has big chances, but I hope Grammy's won't award Dr Luke :fatcat: And again, LOTS OF CO-CREATORS

- "Back Of My Mind" by H.E.R - literally the same as above, but change Dr Luke with Chris Brown

- "Happier Than Ever" by Billie Eilish - They spoiled her with awards in 2020, I don't think they give her many(or any) this year.

- "Montero" by Lil Nas - It's a wonderful album, but I have a feeling that because of homophobia/racism/both they will snub him. But still: lots of co-creators.

- "Sour" by Olivia Rodrigo - I think she will be the biggest competition for TonyGa. She's the "new thing" in the industry, had commercial success and "Sour" has not so many co-creators. But on the other hand, someone alike won in 2020 (Billie) and Grammy's can't give awards according to what kids listen to on Tik Tok every year.

- "Evermore" by Taylor Swift - she and Kanye were added last minute, probably for clout. Also she won last year, she def won't this time.

- "Donda" by Kanye West - as above + he's not really stable, would probably said some stupid sh*t during his winning speech.

Feel free to discuss and share your opinions :hug:

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Your reasoning for Gaga and Tony winning is fair but then your reasoning for why some of the top competition will lose is pretty bad. Don’t agree.

Cameltoe Chariot

I agree with you, but I low-key hope she doesn't win album of the year because then we'll have to endure months of Lil Nas X, Olivia Rodrigo and Taylor Swift stans dragging her (and us :messga:) to the pits of hell.

It'll be months of claiming she "bought" the award, that they only gave it to Tony because he's declining so quickly, that the album was nowhere near as good as the competition... my heart can't take it :bradley:

It sucks that something as cool and risky as the L4S project can't be rewarded without being discredited. Standom always ruins everything, I fear :madge:

Speak Easy

I weirdly agree. Something in the air tells me that Gaga and Tony are gonna win. So ironic. But it makes sense too. 

I thought she would win AOTY for The Fame Monster, then definitely Born This Way, and then I thought A Star is Born was so impactful that it could get nominated and win. 

If you would have told me in 2013 the album that FINALLY got Gaga her much deserved AOTY win was gonna be a JAZZ cover album with a 95 year old collaborator I would have laughed in your face. 

but yeah…I think the signs are pointing to Gaga winning. She definitely will walk away with at least 4 of those 6 nominations…putting her at 16-18 Grammys. 

If Gaga does win big, she will go from 9th Most Awarded Female of All Time to 3rd in a single night, surpassing the likes of Alicia Keyes, Ella Fitzgerald, Adele, and Aretha Franklin.  She will sit behind only Alison Krauss and Beyoncé. 

Also it would be the fastest climb to 16+ Grammys for a female ever. (12 years) Since Gaga entered Grammy eligibility in 2009.

Beyoncé took 14 years to reach these numbers. 

spector
3 minutes ago, CameltoeKween said:

It sucks that something as cool and risky as the L4S project can't be rewarded without being discredited.

:lmao: 

e9e.jpg

stella + elliot = stelliot

Sorcerer

I think they will win. Tony and Gaga just had a CBS special and will have an MTV Unplugged performance smacked in the middle of the final voting. The final album narrative is strong. Tony has already won once, and it's for his MTV Unplugged album. Tony and Gaga will deserve it too since they are revitalizing jazz.

Happier than Ever and Sour are their biggest competition.

LateToCult

I think it has a decent shot at winning. Maybe even more than a lot of people on here think. But we’ll have to wait and see. In the past decade almost every single winner has been a commercially successful piece of work. L4S would be the biggest head scratcher in a very long time.

lavender blonde
9 minutes ago, Oyster said:

Your reasoning for Gaga and Tony winning is fair but then your reasoning for why some of the top competition will lose is pretty bad. Don’t agree.

Feel free to write where you disagree! I haven't listened to half of those albums, so I can be wrong :heart:

lavender blonde
8 minutes ago, Speak Easy said:

I weirdly agree. Something in the air tells me that Gaga and Tony are gonna win. So ironic. But it makes sense too. 

Oh my God this. It's so weird, but there's def some weird gut feeling. You put it in words just perfectly.

DanielM

I think winning is a possibility and it depends on the charming campaign that they are willing to conduct. It's not a great year in terms of nominees, honestly. I think Lil Nas X was the one making something new, creative, and socially important, but the reviews about the album were not that great. Billie would be a safe choice. Olivia would be too risky. 

That being said, I don't know if Gaga and her team will fight that much for it, since I would say she wants the AOTY for a solo project. She is that ambitious. But we'll see.

I feel like it’ll be a close race between Jon Baptiste, HER and Lil Nas.

HER is such an overhyped artist imho, but Hollywood loves her, so…she’s probably the fave.

Jon is an amazingly talented guy and has a LOT of nominations this year. He has a real shot at this.

And Lil Nas would be the one to do the “Adele/Billie” sweep — new artist getting a shitton of Grammys

I don’t feel like L4S stands a chance but we’ll see.

Cameltoe Chariot
22 minutes ago, spector said:

:lmao: 

e9e.jpg

Nah, I'm not smoking crack but thanks for asking :partysick:

I think it IS cool that a pop icon at Gaga's level, who is getting Oscar buzz on the heals of only her second film role, created a carefully curated and arranged album of songs by an openly gay jazz musician from the 1930s with her 95 year old bestie and music legend Tony Bennett.

Not sure you if you were paying attention back then, but the first jazz album they did was a MAJOR risk for Gaga's career, but it was done out of passion and love of the craft and it absolutely paid off. Most pop stars at Gaga's level would never take such a huge risk diverting from their fandom and yet she did it and took her career to new heights. Twice.

But yeah, keep making fun of her and this project! :oprah:

Archived