Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Why I think Gaga and Tony will win AOTY

lavender blonde

Featured Posts

lavender blonde
1 hour ago, salty like sodium said:

The statue argument doesn't make any sense at all because

a) voters couldn't care less about how many statues need to be made for the winner, and neither do the Grammies: they cost them 15$ to make apiece, and they will be ordering hundreds anyway. An extra 2 or 3 won't make a difference.

b) it's probably like the Oscars where only a specific number of statues are made and the other contributors don't get one.  For example, it says here only people who have contributed to 33% or more of the album will get a statuette: https://www.grammy.com/sites/com/files/bluebook_awards_certs_and_grammy_tickets.pdf

From what I know, it's not like that anymore. They changed the rules this year and everyone is getting a statue. I know - this doesn't make sense AT ALL, but if you want to read about it, even here on GGD we had a whole topic and discussion not so long ago. You can also find some information on Grammy's official website: https://www.grammy.com/grammys/news/2022-grammys-updated-rules-guidelines-recording-academy

I really agree with you that this financial/practical aspect won't be the main one for the Recording Academy, but numbers of co-creators vary a lot - most of AOTY nominated albums have around 40-50 co-creators. L4S and Happier Than Ever are the only highlights, because they have 7 and 5 co-creators in total. And if you think about producing so much statues, then shipping them... well it's just some more work to do what may be frustrating :oops:

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
CyanDante

I wouldn't mind Sour winning, but I kind of don't want Taylor to win AoTY again, for something she didn't do. :bear:

I'm not very good with Social Mediaᵀᴹ

lavender blonde

Ok guys, we have 2 more arguments:

1) As @Meat said - among AOTY nominated albums only L4S is also nominated for the Best Engineered Album, Non-Classical, which may be a good sign for us. I also noticed that Finneas is NOT nominated for the Producer Of The Year, which may be a bad sign for Billie :ohwell:

2) And don't forget guys that Gaga was ALWAYS f*cked over in GF. In 2010 they gave AOTY to Taylor's Fearless when The Fame was nominated :giveup:. Then in 2011 The Fame Monster lost to Arcade Fire :laughga:. And then in 2012 Born This Way lost to Adele's 21 (this one is actually reasonable). And my point is that Academy will hopefully one day make it up for her for those past snubs.

lavender blonde
3 minutes ago, CyanDante said:

I wouldn't mind Sour winning, but I kind of don't want Taylor to win AoTY again, for something she didn't do. :bear:

I'm huge Taylor fan, but if she wins again - it'll be because she bought this award. This would be such a scandal

salty like sodium
34 minutes ago, lavender blonde said:

From what I know, it's not like that anymore. They changed the rules this year and everyone is getting a statue. I know - this doesn't make sense AT ALL, but if you want to read about it, even here on GGD we had a whole topic and discussion not so long ago. You can also find some information on Grammy's official website: https://www.grammy.com/grammys/news/2022-grammys-updated-rules-guidelines-recording-academy

I really agree with you that this financial/practical aspect won't be the main one for the Recording Academy, but numbers of co-creators vary a lot - most of AOTY nominated albums have around 40-50 co-creators. L4S and Happier Than Ever are the only highlights, because they have 7 and 5 co-creators in total. And if you think about producing so much statues, then shipping them... well it's just some more work to do what may be frustrating :oops:

Just because they can all be nominated doesn't mean they will all receive a statue. There is most likely a cap on that, in the old rules if there were 10+ people, people received a certificate instead of a statue for example. And L4S has a lot more co-creators, then. There are all the assistant engineers etc, not to mention all the people playing in the orchestra that is credited on some tracks haha. https://ladygaga.fandom.com/wiki/Love_for_Sale_(album)#Japanese_Edi.

They have been producing and shipping these statues for years and since the people who have to make the statues and ship them aren't going to be the ones voting for the awards I honestly don't think anyone voting cares lmao.

CyanDante
42 minutes ago, lavender blonde said:

I'm huge Taylor fan, but if she wins again - it'll be because she bought this award. This would be such a scandal

Yeah such a shame. She knew she wouldn't get nomination credits for a sample( like Hayley Williams isn't nominated) , so she got herself original writing credits. 🥲

I'm not very good with Social Mediaᵀᴹ

HeardASine

For some reason I have a feeling Justice is going to win. He was able to get nominated in both pop and rnb categories, as well as the general categories. This means he must have strong support with those two fields. 

Fame IV
1 hour ago, Suspiria said:

Honestly I'd be disappointed if L4S won lol. Like it just isn't deserving.

Why? Grammys must award quality and not charts. 

A Star is Born ⭐

Suspiria
1 hour ago, Fame IV said:

Why? Grammys must award quality and not charts. 

Because it's a cover album performed in the original style. Tony and Gaga have already done it so the novelty is gone, and I don't think anyone would say it's one of Tony's better albums either.

The only thing going for it is the sympathy vote because it's Tony's last. I think it would be a shame for this to win over Olivia, Billie, Lil Nas X, Taylor (though another win would be too much) or Kanye (don't come for me) who all spent time writing and producing their own original songs to create a solid body of work, rather than just singing a bunch of old classics that've been done a million times.

Spoiler

To be clear, I don't have anything against L4S, it was obviously a very important personal project for Gaga and Tony, and I'm sure a lot of people enjoyed it. But still, as an album it's nothing special no matter how you look at it.

ThisBitch

Imagine Gaga winning AOTY and the Academy Award for Best Actress in the same year! An achievement beyond everything! Legendary status

12 minutes ago, Suspiria said:

Because it's a cover album performed in the original style. Tony and Gaga have already done it so the novelty is gone, and I don't think anyone would say it's one of Tony's better albums either.

The only thing going for it is the sympathy vote because it's Tony's last. I think it would be a shame for this to win over Olivia, Billie, Lil Nas X, Taylor (though another win would be too much) or Kanye (don't come for me) who all spent time writing and producing their own original songs to create a solid body of work, rather than just singing a bunch of old classics that've been done a million times.

Hide contents

To be clear, I don't have anything against L4S, it was obviously a very important personal project for Gaga and Tony, and I'm sure a lot of people enjoyed it. But still, as an album it's nothing special no matter how you look at it.

I slightly disagree.

First of all, it's not just simply covering songs. Gaga & Tony and their music teams also spent time and effort on the arrangement and production, which is why L4S is also nominated as Best Engineered Album at the Grammys. The songwriting may not be original but everything else is new.

In addition, this album is actually very special considering it's recorded after Tony was diagnosed with Alzheimer's, which is not an easy thing to do. 

HuffsAhoy

It's literally the only album nominated that deserves it :smh:  If someone like Billie or Olivia wins over an acclaimed duo like Gaga and Tony, then it just proves the USA is truly a farce. 

You remind me that it's such a wonderful thing to love.

2 hours ago, HuffsAhoy said:

It's literally the only album nominated that deserves it :smh:  If someone like Billie or Olivia wins over an acclaimed duo like Gaga and Tony, then it just proves the USA is truly a farce. 

grammys AOTY picks have always been a joke. they gave AOTY to mediocre wwafawdwg and 1989 while couldn't award tfm and btw. they nominated black panther but couldn't give a nomination to ASIB. 

HuffsAhoy
4 minutes ago, tappy3 said:

grammys AOTY picks have always been a joke. they gave AOTY to mediocre wwafawdwg and 1989 while couldn't award tfm and btw. they nominated black panther but couldn't give a nomination to ASIB. 

I mean, 1989 was pretty good so :huntyga:

You remind me that it's such a wonderful thing to love.

StrawberryBlond

What I can't get past is that the academy know how controversial it is to award an covers album. The days of albums like Raising Sand and River: The Joni Letters winning over the most massive original albums of the year is a thing of the past. It makes the academy look out of touch and they're desperate to appear hip. But it's a very good point that the academy love albums that required very few people to make, it suggests the singer was front and centre and the work is authentic. The nominations certainly suggest that they were touched by the Gaga/Tony friendship and collaboration and want to honour it - a congratulations to Tony for lasting so long in the industry in his twilight years and a peace offering to Gaga for all these years where they snubbed her well-deserved albums. I mean, I'd be happy for them but I'd rather Gaga won for an original body of work that I truly loved and there's going to be quite a fall-out if they win over more popular acts and debate over how the award was decided. It'll be bittersweet and I'd rather it be completely sweet. It's like how she lost her first ever Oscar for best original song but later won with a song whose writing credits were uncontroversial, was a big hit and was part of a highly successful and praised movie. It just feels better when it feels genuine and not a consolation prize.

Archived