Gaga nominated as Best Actress at Satellite Awards

monstertoronto

Featured Posts

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
monstertoronto
10 minutes ago, QUEENH said:

That category is so tough this year. this movie and the role of Patrizia really isn't a typical Oscar type. I will be thrilled if she is nominated but I don't think she is winning. It will go to a more serious performance like Kristen or Olivia. Oscars eat that **** upppp. Look at what Frances won for last year! 

That movie nomadland was not good. Frances McDormand was ok but it was a one note role. I thought Carey Mulligan was more deserving. 

monstertoronto
5 minutes ago, Kimmo said:

Yasss it’s starting y’all!! Let’s hope Miss Tricon has enough shelves for all the awards :vegas:

giphy.gif?cid=5e214886f74db7f4b857359a93

That was my fave look of hers!!

androiduser

Congratulations to Gaga and the rest of the nominees.

That said, Satellite Awards are not a strong indication of what will happen at the Oscars

I am not optimistic for a 2nd Oscar nom this year, but that doesn't mean HOG isn't a win for Gaga. She did not sing a line and still received so much recognition and high box offices, I think she's established herself as a legit actress now. 

91th was a different story though. ASIB is a smash hit and a critical fav, plus the competitiveness in 2018 was slightly lower than this year. As for this year, KS Cruz Kidman are almost locked for noms. Jessica Chastin, Olivia Colman and Alana Haim are receiving incredible praises for their performances. JHud played the academy-fav type of movie (judy, billie holiday). I don't see HOG or the buzz for Gaga can compete with any of the above.

freebit

Great news :applause:

Satellites aren't super duper prestigious, but in the grand scheme of movie awards they're also not completely bottom of the barrel/meaningless, like made up critic awards (*cough* Sunset Circle Awards). I feel like if she wasn't nominated here, GGD/fanbase would be in meltdown and her detractors would be gleefully deciding a snub at the Satellite Awards meant she's over, lol. 

DoremonLove

Good to see her getting nominated among other already established names like kidman. :party:

How can anoyone not love gaga

monstertoronto
6 hours ago, Arloway said:

I am not optimistic for a 2nd Oscar nom this year, but that doesn't mean HOG isn't a win for Gaga. She did not sing a line and still received so much recognition and high box offices, I think she's established herself as a legit actress now. 

91th was a different story though. ASIB is a smash hit and a critical fav, plus the competitiveness in 2018 was slightly lower than this year. As for this year, KS Cruz Kidman are almost locked for noms. Jessica Chastin, Olivia Colman and Alana Haim are receiving incredible praises for their performances. JHud played the academy-fav type of movie (judy, billie holiday). I don't see HOG or the buzz for Gaga can compete with any of the above.

I’m really surprised to read this because all the awards coverage in all the major outlets really focuses on Gaga and Kristen, with some now bringing in Nicole. But Gaga is getting the most overall award buzz of anyone, along with Kristen. 

monstertoronto
1 hour ago, freebit said:

Great news :applause:

Satellites aren't super duper prestigious, but in the grand scheme of movie awards they're also not completely bottom of the barrel/meaningless, like made up critic awards (*cough* Sunset Circle Awards). I feel like if she wasn't nominated here, GGD/fanbase would be in meltdown and her detractors would be gleefully deciding a snub at the Satellite Awards meant she's over, lol. 

It’s the first awards show to announce! I agree that they’re not necessarily super prestigious but it’s amazing to start awards season with a nom rather than not! 

LilyLark
6 hours ago, Arloway said:

It's an extremely competitive race this year, and I wouldn't be entirely shocked if she missed out on a nomination due to HOG having a mixed reception (despite the killer box office, which imo will probably do more for her career than another Oscar nomination).

However, Scott Feinberg from THR has a nearly perfect track record of predicting who gets nominated. He has Gaga on his list still (he just updated it today)—and that's after he pushed Nicole and Jessica Chastain out of his top 5. He talks to a ton of industry people in Hollywood—his 'anonymous' voter bit is probably the most famous of those types. He also discusses, a lot, that critics might not agree on what awards bodies voters find worthy (e.g. Jared Leto getting nominated for a bunch of awards for The Little Thing).

So at this point, I do feel like she has a 75% chance of getting nominated....when earlier I would have predicted her to have a 50/50 shot.

*TBH I wouldn't be surprised if she was nominated for both an Oscar and a Razzie. Razzies go for the names that get the most clickbait or the 'biggest' names—Glenn Close was freaking nominated for one a year or so ago. And they know Gaga will bring clicks, stans and anti stans will get hysterical on twitter, and the media will 'gleefully' write it up (even if Gaga isn't as polarizing as she was in her ARTPOP era).

LilyLark
10 minutes ago, monstertoronto said:

I’m really surprised to read this because all the awards coverage in all the major outlets really focuses on Gaga and Kristen, with some now bringing in Nicole. But Gaga is getting the most overall award buzz of anyone, along with Kristen. 

It's really odd....Nicole was on everyone's front runner list for like 2 weeks but now, apparently, she's been taken off some of the lists?

monstertoronto
5 minutes ago, LilyLark said:

It's an extremely competitive race this year, and I wouldn't be entirely shocked if she missed out on a nomination due to HOG having a mixed reception (despite the killer box office, which imo will probably do more for her career than another Oscar nomination).

However, Scott Feinberg from THR has a nearly perfect track record of predicting who gets nominated. He has Gaga on his list still (he just updated it today)—and that's after he pushed Nicole and Jessica Chastain out of his top 5. He talks to a ton of industry people in Hollywood—his 'anonymous' voter bit is probably the most famous of those types. He also discusses, a lot, that critics might not agree on what awards bodies voters find worthy (e.g. Jared Leto getting nominated for a bunch of awards for The Little Thing).

So at this point, I do feel like she has a 75% chance of getting nominated....when earlier I would have predicted her to have a 50/50 shot.

*TBH I wouldn't be surprised if she was nominated for both an Oscar and a Razzie. Razzies go for the names that get the most clickbait or the 'biggest' names—Glenn Close was freaking nominated for one a year or so ago. And they know Gaga will bring clicks, stans and anti stans will get hysterical on twitter, and the media will 'gleefully' write it up (even if Gaga isn't as polarizing as she was in her ARTPOP era).

Glad he still has her on the list.  I think even though the film has been a bit mixed, the good reviews and generally super positive and there’s been a lot of buzz about it. And the Oscars often do reward praised performances even in movies that don’t get the same level of praise.  The box office also helps a lot with Oscars too. I really think this is another breakout performance for her and one that really shows she’s acting and not singing and doing a version of herself. I think she’s def going to be nominated. I don’t think Jessica has enough momentum and her movie didn’t make enough of an impact. I do like that Hollywood Reporter guy, I hope his current predictions are correct! 

LilyLark
16 minutes ago, monstertoronto said:

Glad he still has her on the list.  I think even though the film has been a bit mixed, the good reviews and generally super positive and there’s been a lot of buzz about it. And the Oscars often do reward praised performances even in movies that don’t get the same level of praise.  The box office also helps a lot with Oscars too. I really think this is another breakout performance for her and one that really shows she’s acting and not singing and doing a version of herself. I think she’s def going to be nominated. I don’t think Jessica has enough momentum and her movie didn’t make enough of an impact. I do like that Hollywood Reporter guy, I hope his current predictions are correct! 

I defn. feel like the box office will be a huge help to her in terms of getting a nomination.

12 minutes ago, LilyLark said:

Thanks for your resource! I just checked Feinberg predictions and he still has Gaga on the 4th. But Alana Haim is a huge threat and her film has yet to be released... I also think MGM/United Artists are spending way more efforts promoting Licorice Pizza. All the buzz that Gucci got so far was created by Gaga herself. If the distributors are willing to push Gaga forward for a nom I think it won't be impossible. 

I am so surprised to see he placed Rachel Zelger on his top 1. I don't remember seeing her name on any top 5 predictions for the past weeks. Where is the buzz coming from? I know that West Side Story seems like an academy fav type, but it's still surprising to see Rachel debut on top so quickly.

Also did he explain why he kick Nicole out of the top 5? I understand that Jessica's film is neither a critics fav nor a box office hit. But Nicole seems to be on every frontrunner list still, and her buzz is getting stronger from what I see. Just curious. 

22 minutes ago, monstertoronto said:

Fingers crossed! I think the bad critics' reviews is really hurting Gaga's chances. If HOG has a 70+ MTC and a 75+ RT then I think a nom is locked. I saw so many predictions that remove Gaga from their top 5 (after the score is released) which makes me concern. Gaga's position on Gold Derby is also dropping. I hope MGM and United Artists do more to create huge buzz for Gaga

Archived